Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Forged Craigslist scam checks

On Apr 22, 6:10*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Jedd Haas wrote:
It seems to me the authorities are not all that interested in these
scams.

I had someone offer to send me a check, so I gave them the name and
address of our local US Attorney.

Sure enough, they sent a check for $2,450, (on a $100 item) via UPS
overnight, and someone signed for it.

Sadly, the AUSA assigned to "criminal" never calls me back or even
answers his phone.

Did they do anything illegal? *Sending you a check for 24.5 times the amount
of the purchase is not in itself a crime. *Did you deposit the check? *Did
it bounce? *If so, _then_ it's time to get "the authorities" involved.
Until that time there's nothing the AUSA can do except wait for something
illegal to happen. *If you're calling him asking him to do something when no
provable violation of the law has occurred then you're wasting his time and
yours.

If the check is knowingly written on a nonexistent account, an account
with insufficient funds, or otherwise forged it certainly is a crime.
The bounce is certainly proof of a crime but it's not the only proof.
OTOH, you can't really expect the US attorney's office to go after on
every scam. It's time people stop falling for this one.