Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saw Blade won't Tighten

On 9/24/2020 1:46 PM, Andrew M wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 11:15:42 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 11:20:48 AM UTC-4, Andrew M wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 6:47:03 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:
Yes most circular saws have arbor locks.
I've yet to see one... ???

A flat maybe, a lock is pretty rare.

--
So an update--the sanding solution worked initially, however once I swapped back to the dado stack and then tried to reinstall the single blade, I had the slippage occur again...Frustrating.

Fortunately, the thin wrench set I ordered from amazon arrived and I was able to use the 7/8" thin wrench on the arbor which held the arbor in place while I tightened the 1-1/16" arbor nut.
This is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Super-Th.../dp/B001HZQW0Y

Is it possible that you have an issue with the arbor itself? I can't explain why, but before I changed the arbor on my 70's vintage Craftsman TS (due to a chunky bearing) I used to get some slippage while tightening with the blade held still with a piece of wood. It wasn't slippage like it was still loose, it was more like soft jerk after it was tight like something was turning inside the arbor. (There is no provision for a second wrench on my saw.)

I had a spare arbor, so I decided to change the whole thing instead of just the bearings. Now when I tighten the arbor nut nothing slips and I feel that I could tighten it way more than I need to (but I don't).

I cleaned everything on the arbor/threads/nuts etc. No excess grease or sawdust and no deformed metal on the arbor nut that would cause it to lock into the arbor threads. From what I can tell the arbor threads seem fine. I can hand tighten the nut without any issue, It's just when I go to tighten with a wrench is there enough back-pressure on the threads to keep the nut and arbor spinning together. I'm not sure if they are acme or not, my eye isn't trained to tell the difference.

From what I can tell, the issue is simply that there is too little friction between:

1. The "washer" between the blade and the arbor nut, &
2. The arbor collar and the blade

Which is causing the washer, arbor nut and arbor to spin together in-sync. Meanwhile I'm holding the blade still but nothing tightens.

It's also possible there is too much friction between the arbor nut and the "washer," causing it to spin with the nut, but it doesn't look like there's any deformed metal causing it to catch in any way.

The saw originally came with the 7/8" arbor wrench to hold the arbor in place while you tighten the nut, so in theory using two wrenches is how the saw was designed to be tightened rather than just holding the blade. That wrench was just missing when I bought it used.

Isn't there a motor? Can't imagine there being so little back
torque to do as you describe...not saying it isn't, but just hard for me
to wrap head around any TS acting that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:57:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/23/2020 8:46 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:51:24 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/22/2020 8:31 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/22/2020 1:01 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 9/21/2020 10:52 AM, Andrew M wrote:

...long tale of woe snipped for brevity...

More than likely just cleaning the sawdust out of arbor and nut threads
thoroughly and a little lube would have solved the OP's problem...

If the nut won't turn to tighten the blade enough to hold by finger
only, there's a problem there.

--

And most decent table saws allow an arbor wrench to be used along with
the arbor nut wrench. You might look to see if the arbor flange has a

Even if the arbor flange has flats, good luck finding a wrench that
fits. It took ages to find one even for my Unisaur, When I did, I
bought two.

You have to think outside the box. I had a similar issue, not with a TS
but I needed a wrench, and it had to be thin. I bought an elcheapo
chrome mechanics wrench from Northern tool and used a grinder to make
the jaw narrow enough to fit the narrow slot. Narrow like the wrench
that comes with the saw. AND that is assuming that the arbor flats are
not terribly wide. But if the saw does have flats it is likely a normal
wrench size.

That was my backup plan. I screwed up mine forgetting that famous
saying "lefty tighty - righty loosey". Man that arbor nut was on
tight!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 00:29:02 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

wrote in
:

That was my backup plan. I screwed up mine forgetting that famous
saying "lefty tighty - righty loosey". Man that arbor nut was on
tight!

The old timers would tell me "if it won't turn, sometimes tightening it
will get the bolt moving and it'll come loose." Guess they covered a stuck
bolt and a reverse thread in one statement!

Puckdropper

That reminds me of a story from the '50s. GE, I think it was, had a
troubleshooting guide for their toasters. It said "If your toaster
doesn't heat, try reversing the plug." Brilliant!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:
Yes most circular saws have arbor locks.

I've yet to see one... ???

A flat maybe, a lock is pretty rare.

--

So an update--the sanding solution worked initially, however once I swapped back to the dado stack and then tried to reinstall the single blade, I had the slippage occur again...Frustrating.

Fortunately, the thin wrench set I ordered from amazon arrived and I was able to use the 7/8" thin wrench on the arbor which held the arbor in place while I tightened the 1-1/16" arbor nut.
This is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Super-Th.../dp/B001HZQW0Y

Can you tighten the nut with no blade installed? Have you tried adding an additional or thicker washer and then tightening?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2020 7:02 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:57:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

On 9/22/2020 8:31 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

LOL I heard that! Several months ago, mmmm 1972 I worked in an
automotive tire center part time while going to school. Those darn
Chrysler products were the same way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2020 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes most circular saws have arbor locks.

I've yet to see one... ???

A flat maybe, a lock is pretty rare.

--

My Craftsman and my Festool circular saws both have arbor locks, the
Craftsman is probably 80's vintage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

From what I can tell, the issue is simply that there is too little friction between:

1. The "washer" between the blade and the arbor nut, &
2. The arbor collar and the blade

Which is causing the washer, arbor nut and arbor to spin together in-sync. Meanwhile I'm holding the blade still but nothing tightens.

It's also possible there is too much friction between the arbor nut and the "washer," causing it to spin with the nut, but it doesn't look like there's any deformed metal causing it to catch in any way.

The saw originally came with the 7/8" arbor wrench to hold the arbor in place while you tighten the nut, so in theory using two wrenches is how the saw was designed to be tightened rather than just holding the blade. That wrench was just missing when I bought it used.

By any chance are you forgetting to put on the large washer between the
nut and the blade?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/25/2020 10:07 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/24/2020 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes most circular saws have arbor locks.

I've yet to see one... ???

A flat maybe, a lock is pretty rare.

--

My Craftsman and my Festool circular saws both have arbor locks, the
Craftsman is probably 80's vintage.
I would be surprised if any of the track saws don't have an arbor lock.

Those are hand circ saws; the thread is about a TS...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 10:09:55 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

By any chance are you forgetting to put on the large washer between the
nut and the blade?

And the washer facing in the proper direction?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 10:00:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2020 7:02 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:57:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

On 9/22/2020 8:31 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Worse. Only half of them were on backwards.

Another of life's mysteries... Why do lathe specifications say, for
example, 1-1/4" x 8TPI RH. Why would anyone want a left-hand spindle
thread?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2020 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes most circular saws have arbor locks.

I've yet to see one... ???

A flat maybe, a lock is pretty rare.

--

My Craftsman and my Festool circular saws both have arbor locks, the
Craftsman is probably 80's vintage.
I would be surprised if any of the track saws don't have an arbor lock.

Those are hand circ saws; the thread is about a TS...

Not all of it. This sub-thread got off on circular saws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2020 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes most circular saws have arbor locks.

I've yet to see one... ???

A flat maybe, a lock is pretty rare.

--

My Craftsman and my Festool circular saws both have arbor locks, the
Craftsman is probably 80's vintage.
I would be surprised if any of the track saws don't have an arbor lock.

Those are hand circ saws; the thread is about a TS...

Personally, I've never heard the term 'circular saws' applied to
any stationary power tool. They're always handheld; granted
Leon diverged from the thread, but that was, I'm sure, intentional.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2020 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes most circular saws have arbor locks.

I've yet to see one... ???

A flat maybe, a lock is pretty rare.

--

My Craftsman and my Festool circular saws both have arbor locks, the
Craftsman is probably 80's vintage.
I would be surprised if any of the track saws don't have an arbor lock.

Those are hand circ saws; the thread is about a TS...

Personally, I've never heard the term 'circular saws' applied to
any stationary power tool. They're always handheld; granted
Leon diverged from the thread, but that was, I'm sure, intentional.

Actually whit3rd diverged, I followed. '~) But thank you for
clarification.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/25/2020 2:01 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 10:00:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2020 7:02 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:57:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

On 9/22/2020 8:31 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I believe some lathes run backwards. But 99.99% of the time not.

Maybe the opposite side of the drive where you would turn a platter?
Yeah on that side the chuck would unscrew when working and you would
have a lot of leverage to loosen the chuck if it were RH threaded. I
have never used that side of my lathe drive so it may very well be LH
threaded. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 10:54:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/25/2020 2:01 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 10:00:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2020 7:02 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:57:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

On 9/22/2020 8:31 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Mine will (the wonders of electronics) but uses a set screw on the
spindle to keep the threads threaded.

Maybe the opposite side of the drive where you would turn a platter?
Yeah on that side the chuck would unscrew when working and you would
have a lot of leverage to loosen the chuck if it were RH threaded. I
have never used that side of my lathe drive so it may very well be LH
threaded. ;~)

The backside of mine is threaded the opposite direction, I think. Some
people think of everything. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 19:55:52 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 10:54:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/25/2020 2:01 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 10:00:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2020 7:02 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:57:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

On 9/22/2020 8:31 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

runs to check

Dumbass. There isn't any thread on the opposite side. The headstock
gets moved to the other end for platters. An extension bed is needed
(which I don't have).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

;~) Yeah. So back in the 60's there was a glue for school. Glass
tapered bottle with a rubber application tip with a slit. Turn upside
down push tip against the project and the crown tinted glue would uze
out.

It was "mint" flavored. what???

Some glues are VERY edible. At one time, some glues were made using egg
whites. (Ever notice how sticky they are when you crack an egg and it gets
on your fingers?)

They might still be used.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2020 7:29 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

The old timers would tell me "if it won't turn, sometimes tightening
it will get the bolt moving and it'll come loose." Guess they
covered a stuck bolt and a reverse thread in one statement!

Puckdropper

Better to just try the other direction. LOL

I've seen it work--tightening the bolt works to get it moving then turning
it the other way removes it.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 5:31:49 PM UTC-4, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:
On 9/24/2020 7:29 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

The old timers would tell me "if it won't turn, sometimes tightening
it will get the bolt moving and it'll come loose." Guess they
covered a stuck bolt and a reverse thread in one statement!

Puckdropper

Better to just try the other direction. LOL

I've seen it work--tightening the bolt works to get it moving then turning
it the other way removes it.

Puckdropper

It's a good practice to leave gate valves "closed" about a 1/8 turn. i.e. not
opened to the full stop. Valves like the main water shutoff for your house
or any other gate valve that is seldom used.

If you need to turn it off and it won't move, you've got some room to open it
just a little more to free it up. Sometimes a little back and forth wiggle does
the trick, but you need some room on both sides of the wiggle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 21:28:12 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

;~) Yeah. So back in the 60's there was a glue for school. Glass
tapered bottle with a rubber application tip with a slit. Turn upside
down push tip against the project and the crown tinted glue would uze
out.

It was "mint" flavored. what???

Some glues are VERY edible. At one time, some glues were made using egg
whites. (Ever notice how sticky they are when you crack an egg and it gets
on your fingers?)

They might still be used.

The glass tapered bottle with the tip with a slit was "mucilage". It
was in my experience utter crap. However it was not toxic.

The "school glue" today is typically some kind of casein based "white
glue"--in other words it's derived from milk or if not derived from
anymore has the same chemistry as.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2020 4:28 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

;~) Yeah. So back in the 60's there was a glue for school. Glass
tapered bottle with a rubber application tip with a slit. Turn upside
down push tip against the project and the crown tinted glue would uze
out.

It was "mint" flavored. what???

Some glues are VERY edible. At one time, some glues were made using egg
whites. (Ever notice how sticky they are when you crack an egg and it gets
on your fingers?)

They might still be used.

Puckdropper

Soooooo when I was in elementary school, 1st grade, I have it on good
authority that "Paste" was eatable. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2020 4:31 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 9/24/2020 7:29 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

The old timers would tell me "if it won't turn, sometimes tightening
it will get the bolt moving and it'll come loose." Guess they
covered a stuck bolt and a reverse thread in one statement!

Puckdropper

Better to just try the other direction. LOL

I've seen it work--tightening the bolt works to get it moving then turning
it the other way removes it.

Puckdropper

Yes that absolutely works especially if the nut/bolt is kind'a rusted in
place.

But some times if you are not thinking, you don't know which way is
tightening and which is loosening.

So if it will not turn in the direction you first tried, trying in the
other direction is essentially tightening and then loosening or visa
versa. You end up doing both. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 10:54:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/25/2020 2:01 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 10:00:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2020 7:02 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 07:57:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

On 9/22/2020 8:31 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

LOL I did the run and check right before I answered. Mine, a Jet, has
an internally treadled shaft on the left side of the assembly. It is
left hand threaded but it is internally/female threaded.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28/09/2020 7:35 pm, Leon wrote:
On 9/27/2020 4:28 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

;~)Â* Yeah.Â*Â*Â* So back in the 60's there was a glue for school.Â* Glass
tapered bottle with a rubber application tip with a slit.Â* Turn upside
down push tip against the project and the crown tinted glue would uze
out.

It was "mint" flavored.Â* what???

Some glues are VERY edible.Â* At one time, some glues were made using egg
whites.Â* (Ever notice how sticky they are when you crack an egg and it gets
on your fingers?)

They might still be used.

Puckdropper

Soooooo when I was in elementary school, 1st grade, I have it on good authority
that "Paste" was eatable.Â* ;~)

I thought the white glue was good. Somewhat of a minty taste.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 9/27/2020 4:28 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

;~) Yeah. So back in the 60's there was a glue for school. Glass
tapered bottle with a rubber application tip with a slit. Turn upside
down push tip against the project and the crown tinted glue would uze
out.

It was "mint" flavored. what???

Some glues are VERY edible. At one time, some glues were made using egg
whites. (Ever notice how sticky they are when you crack an egg and it gets
on your fingers?)

They might still be used.

Puckdropper

Soooooo when I was in elementary school, 1st grade, I have it on good
authority that "Paste" was eatable. ;~)

Wasn't paste just flour and water?
Posted to rec.woodworking

(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 9/27/2020 4:28 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

;~) Yeah. So back in the 60's there was a glue for school. Glass
tapered bottle with a rubber application tip with a slit. Turn upside
down push tip against the project and the crown tinted glue would uze
out.

It was "mint" flavored. what???

Some glues are VERY edible. At one time, some glues were made using egg
whites. (Ever notice how sticky they are when you crack an egg and it gets
on your fingers?)

They might still be used.

Puckdropper

Soooooo when I was in elementary school, 1st grade, I have it on good
authority that "Paste" was eatable. ;~)

Wasn't paste just flour and water?

Flour + water + alum =
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/24301650/_
https://images.findagrave.com/photos...0185669969.jpg

Moral of the story: Please do not eat the Library Paste, kiddies.
Who wants their existence on this planet preserved for posterity
as being someone who died eating paste?

Table saw blade help J T Woodworking 0 August 14th 07 09:47 PM
Table Saw Blade SGM Woodworking 11 August 6th 07 05:13 AM
Best table saw blade [email protected] Woodworking 16 June 10th 07 03:44 PM
Grizzly G1022 Table Saw - can't tighten saw height wheel [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 24th 07 12:41 PM
Table Saw Blade Rolling Thunder Woodworking 6 August 29th 06 05:52 PM