Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best table saw blade

It's getting time to get another blade. It used to be that Forrest
had only one or two ten inch blades but now there seem to be a
variety. So, any consensus on the best all around blade for a ten
inch contracters saw?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 8:58 am, wrote:
It's getting time to get another blade. It used to be that Forrest
had only one or two ten inch blades but now there seem to be a
variety. So, any consensus on the best all around blade for a ten
inch contracters saw?

contractors saw? go with a 10x50T atb+r combination blade. Don't
spend a dime over 40$

Posted to rec.woodworking

"beecrofter" wrote in message

contractors saw? go with a 10x50T atb+r combination blade. Don't
spend a dime over 40$

What makes you say that? I have a contractor saw with a $100 Ridge Carbide
blade and it can make a clean cut just like a cabinet saw. Even when I had
a cheap benchtop saw, I used decent blades.

There are many very good blades available. Forrest, Ridge Carbide, Infinity
are just a few. There is a new Freud combination that looks interesting
also.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"beecrofter" wrote in message
contractors saw? go with a 10x50T atb+r combination blade. Don't
spend a dime over 40$

What makes you say that? I have a contractor saw with a $100 Ridge Carbide
blade and it can make a clean cut just like a cabinet saw. Even when I had
a cheap benchtop saw, I used decent blades.

There are many very good blades available. Forrest, Ridge Carbide, Infinity
are just a few. There is a new Freud combination that looks interesting
also.

And, of course, it mostly depends on what kind of work OP wants/needs to
do (assuming the saw is adequate for that kind of work which is probably
true).

W/O that point of reference it's a shot in the dark...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 10:04 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"beecrofter" wrote in message

contractors saw? go with a 10x50T atb+r combination blade. Don't
spend a dime over 40$

What makes you say that? I have a contractor saw with a $100 Ridge Carbide
blade and it can make a clean cut just like a cabinet saw. Even when I had
a cheap benchtop saw, I used decent blades.

There are many very good blades available. Forrest, Ridge Carbide, Infinity
are just a few. There is a new Freud combination that looks interesting
also.

20 years as a professional saw sharpener makes me say that.

You can buy a very good quality 10x50atb+r for 40$ most of the time
and unless you are cutting melamine, metal or have specific
application issues it is a good all around choice.
Most contractors saws I encounter could use a decent alignment blade
to slots, fence to blade, etc. And another after you horse it between
jobsites.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:02:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

wrote:
It's getting time to get another blade. It used to be that Forrest
had only one or two ten inch blades but now there seem to be a
variety. So, any consensus on the best all around blade for a ten
inch contracters saw?

Can the one you have not be resharpened?

Yes and I'll have that done as soon as I get a new blade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
It's getting time to get another blade. It used to be that Forrest
had only one or two ten inch blades but now there seem to be a
variety. So, any consensus on the best all around blade for a ten
inch contracters saw?

Can the one you have not be resharpened?

Yes and I'll have that done as soon as I get a new blade.

I have the new WII model. What I like about it is that it cuts so clean
that it requires no sanding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"beecrofter" wrote in message

You can buy a very good quality 10x50atb+r for 40$ most of the time
and unless you are cutting melamine, metal or have specific
application issues it is a good all around choice.
Most contractors saws I encounter could use a decent alignment blade
to slots, fence to blade, etc. And another after you horse it between
jobsites.

We have different translations of the term "contractor" saw. Sure the ones
carried to job sites get beat up, mis-aligned, and are often used for rough
cutting of plywood or ripping some framing lumber.

For may of us, the so called "contractors" saw is a stationary saw that is
much too large to be carried around and is never moved from its spot in the
shop. It is used for cabinet and fine furniture making more than typical
job site uses. We use quality blades for quality finished cuts from quality
woods. Far different application than ripping a 2 x.

Most contractor saws I encounter have never been moved, never been to a
jobsite.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.woodworking

I love my CMT combination blade:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/tools.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/07 10:23 AM, "beecrofter" wrote:

[...]

My Ridgid 3612 is called a "contractor saw" because it has exposed legs
rather than an enclosed base and motor hangs out the back. But a Forrest WW
II blade work wonderfully for me. It produces very smooth cuts with less
effort several combination blades that I have tried.

I have carefully aligned the bald to the miter slots and then aligned the
fence to the blade. I do re-check the alignment periodically but it s quite
stable.

Of course, I don't "horse" the saw around from site to site. It has been in
my workshop since the day that I bought it.

Contractor saw is not the same a a saw used by contractors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

beecrofter wrote:

20 years as a professional saw sharpener makes me say that.

You can buy a very good quality 10x50atb+r for 40$ most of the time
and unless you are cutting melamine, metal or have specific
application issues it is a good all around choice.
Most contractors saws I encounter could use a decent alignment blade
to slots, fence to blade, etc. And another after you horse it between
jobsites.

Amen! Just about ANY table saw that's properly aligned will do a decent
job with just about any blade. An excellent blade (thinking some of the
Freud's and Forrest blades, here) won't do squat in a poorly set up saw
whether it's a Unisaur or ...

I have a Freud that I bought some 25 years ago and used to rip down 2x's
in a early 70's vintage Craftsman RAS. I had that RAS aligned dead-on
and kept it that way. The cut edges looked like they'd been run through
a jointer. Break the edges and you were ready to finish. I didn't
believe it the first time I saw it but it truly cut that well in a
properly aligned RAS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 17:57:55 -0500, Say What?
Amen! Just about ANY table saw that's properly aligned will do a decent
job with just about any blade. An excellent blade (thinking some of the
Freud's and Forrest blades, here) won't do squat in a poorly set up saw
whether it's a Unisaur or ...

And an excellent blade in an excellently setup saw will do a fantastic
job. For a LONG time! Time is the difference.
** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
It's getting time to get another blade. It used to be that Forrest
had only one or two ten inch blades but now there seem to be a
variety. So, any consensus on the best all around blade for a ten
inch contracters saw?

IMHO the Forrest is very hard to beat. WWII 40 tooth for 2" and thinner
stock with REGULAR KERF.

There are a few that cut as good, several that cut almost as good and maybe
more than you can count that are decent.

A good quality blade that has been taken care of, read that as resharpened
before the teeth have been dull for a long period of time, can be
resharpened 10-15 times.
Keeping that in mind, If you resharpen and flatten 10 times, a new Forrest
will cost you about $500 for the blade and to be brought to new condition 10
times, including initial investment, sharpening, flattening, and S&H.
While many of the cheaper bladed cut really well, how many times can they be
resharpened and how long do they stay sharp?

I suggest avoiding thin kerf blades to achieve the flattest cuts. I finally
quit using thin kerf about 18 years ago when I was shown that a good quality
regular kerf blade would cut better than a thin kerf with a marginally
slower feed rate on a 1 hp saw. I went to my resharpener/dealer and asked
about a good quality combo blade. He sent me home with a Systematic combo
regular kerf with the understanding that I could bring the blade back within
a couple of weeks if I was not happy with the performance and quality of
cut.