Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Table Saw Blade won't Tighten

On 9/24/2020 1:46 PM, Andrew M wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 11:15:42 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 11:20:48 AM UTC-4, Andrew M wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 6:47:03 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:
Yes most circular saws have arbor locks.
I've yet to see one... ???

A flat maybe, a lock is pretty rare.

--
So an update--the sanding solution worked initially, however once I swapped back to the dado stack and then tried to reinstall the single blade, I had the slippage occur again...Frustrating.

Fortunately, the thin wrench set I ordered from amazon arrived and I was able to use the 7/8" thin wrench on the arbor which held the arbor in place while I tightened the 1-1/16" arbor nut.
This is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Super-Th.../dp/B001HZQW0Y

Is it possible that you have an issue with the arbor itself? I can't explain why, but before I changed the arbor on my 70's vintage Craftsman TS (due to a chunky bearing) I used to get some slippage while tightening with the blade held still with a piece of wood. It wasn't slippage like it was still loose, it was more like soft jerk after it was tight like something was turning inside the arbor. (There is no provision for a second wrench on my saw.)

I had a spare arbor, so I decided to change the whole thing instead of just the bearings. Now when I tighten the arbor nut nothing slips and I feel that I could tighten it way more than I need to (but I don't).

I cleaned everything on the arbor/threads/nuts etc. No excess grease or sawdust and no deformed metal on the arbor nut that would cause it to lock into the arbor threads. From what I can tell the arbor threads seem fine. I can hand tighten the nut without any issue, It's just when I go to tighten with a wrench is there enough back-pressure on the threads to keep the nut and arbor spinning together. I'm not sure if they are acme or not, my eye isn't trained to tell the difference.

From what I can tell, the issue is simply that there is too little friction between:

1. The "washer" between the blade and the arbor nut, &
2. The arbor collar and the blade

Which is causing the washer, arbor nut and arbor to spin together in-sync. Meanwhile I'm holding the blade still but nothing tightens.

It's also possible there is too much friction between the arbor nut and the "washer," causing it to spin with the nut, but it doesn't look like there's any deformed metal causing it to catch in any way.

The saw originally came with the 7/8" arbor wrench to hold the arbor in place while you tighten the nut, so in theory using two wrenches is how the saw was designed to be tightened rather than just holding the blade. That wrench was just missing when I bought it used.

Isn't there a motor? Can't imagine there being so little back
torque to do as you describe...not saying it isn't, but just hard for me
to wrap head around any TS acting that way.