Posted to rec.woodworking
SGM SGM is offline

Default Table Saw Blade

A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16
kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves. Don't want to deal
with dado (wobble or stacked) or making 2 passes/groove. Seems like there
should be a 3/16" blade available somewhere.
Any suggestions as to where I might buy such blade would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks..........

Posted to rec.woodworking

You will probably not find this as a blade. It will be rare as a
router bit. ???? buy two new identical thin kerf blades and space
them apart with paper shims ???? Kind of a homemade dado.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"SGM" wrote in message
. ..
A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with
a 3/16 kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves.
Don't want to deal with dado (wobble or stacked) or making 2
passes/groove. Seems like there should be a 3/16" blade
available somewhere.
Any suggestions as to where I might buy such blade would be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks..........

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 08:04:03 -0500, "SGM" wrote:

A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16
kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves. Don't want to deal
with dado (wobble or stacked) or making 2 passes/groove. Seems like there
should be a 3/16" blade available somewhere.
Any suggestions as to where I might buy such blade would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks..........

Mount your router in the router table with a 3/16" bit? I have made
plenty of plywood shelves using a 3/4" router bit and a routing guide.

I have not seen a 3/16" saw blade. So what is wrong with a wobble
dado since a regular dado seems to make a 1/4" kerf or wider?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 4, 9:35 am, Jim Behning
wrote:
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 08:04:03 -0500, "SGM" wrote:
A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16
kerf. not seen a 3/16" saw blade.

HFT DADO Set has a 3/16" blade in the stack. the set is cheap enough
and may be just what this fella needs. Bonus, he gets a dado set with
shims.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SGM wrote:
A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16
kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves. Don't want to deal
with dado (wobble or stacked) or making 2 passes/groove. Seems like there
should be a 3/16" blade available somewhere.
Any suggestions as to where I might buy such blade would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks..........

Ask around for a bent or warped blade. You could even bend or
warp one yourself. It may be hit and miss to get it to be
exactly 3/16, but I bet it wouldn't be too difficult. Kind of
like a homemade wobble dado.

I know I have a few blades that have developed a wobble that
causes a wider kerf, but I have never measured to find out how
wide it was exactly. I just put them in the use them as
frisbees or to build a clock pile.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 4, 6:04 am, "SGM" wrote:
A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16
kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves. Don't want to deal
with dado (wobble or stacked)

But a targeted-width kerf IS a dado. Why do you want to make a
dado on a saw, but not want to deal with a dado saw blade?

Slitting blades of various widths can be custom-made, of course;
Router/shaper slitting blades are probably available, but
will not likely fit your table saw arbor. Enco sells a 3/16
inch HSS saw blade, 6" OD, 1" center hole, which could do
the job, but it's intended for a metal-cutting horizontal mill.
Their part number is 370-5650.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 08:04:03 -0500, "SGM" wrote:

A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16
kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves. Don't want to deal
with dado (wobble or stacked) or making 2 passes/groove. Seems like there
should be a 3/16" blade available somewhere.
Any suggestions as to where I might buy such blade would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks..........

Pardon my confusion, but unless you're going to be using the blade in
a dedicated saw, or for general cutting, you're still going to be
faced with a blade change each time you need the wider kerf. So, I
don't understand the reluctance to use a wobble dado or, as previously
suggested, a stacked and shimmed pair of thin kerf blades.

If this is a "special" one time only job and a 3/16 router bit isn't
practical for some reason, before buying a specially fabricated wide
kerf blade, I believe I'd opt for a couple of less expensive thin
kerfs. You'd wind up with a couple of extra blades for general purpose
cutting after the job is completed.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Take a blade to a saw shop and have them reset the teeth

--

Richard

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

Take a look at my mess and work.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"

Posted to rec.woodworking
SGM SGM is offline

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the help. Not sure yet which
way I am going to go on this but I know several of the solutions offered
will work.
Best wishes............

"SGM" wrote in message
. ..
A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16
kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves. Don't want to deal
with dado (wobble or stacked) or making 2 passes/groove. Seems like there
should be a 3/16" blade available somewhere.
Any suggestions as to where I might buy such blade would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks..........

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 08:04:03 -0500, "SGM" wrote:

A novice trying to find a 10" (or less) table saw blade with a 3/16
kerf. Only need 3/16" for special job making grooves. Don't want to deal
with dado (wobble or stacked) or making 2 passes/groove. Seems like there
should be a 3/16" blade available somewhere.
Any suggestions as to where I might buy such blade would be greatly
appreciated.

Try a 1/8" blade, set the fence up so when you flip the board you cut
the 1/16" for your 3/16" cut (that is assuming you are doing a groove
length wise) if your crosscutting a groove a stop block with a 1/16
shim would work.

Mark