Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turner on HGTV

http://keithptompkins.com/

Tompkins is outrageous.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

kimosabe wrote:
http://keithptompkins.com/

Tompkins is outrageous.

I'd have loved to have seen that show. If it's going to be re-aired,
someone please let us know!

Anyone know how that sculpture on his homepage was made?
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Go to the web site for Carolina Mountain Woodturners:
http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org/
And then click on newsletters along the right hand side then select December
2008.
Keith was the demonstrator and the newsletter has a summary of his demo
along with his hand outs.
Russ

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
kimosabe wrote:
http://keithptompkins.com/

Tompkins is outrageous.

I'd have loved to have seen that show. If it's going to be re-aired,
someone please let us know!

Anyone know how that sculpture on his homepage was made?

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Go to the web site for Carolina Mountain Woodturners:
http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org/
Then click on newsletters along the right hand side and then select December
2008.
Keith was the demonstrator that month and the newsletter has a good summary
of the Demo and his hand outs.
Russ

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
kimosabe wrote:
http://keithptompkins.com/

Tompkins is outrageous.

I'd have loved to have seen that show. If it's going to be re-aired,
someone please let us know!

Anyone know how that sculpture on his homepage was made?

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
kimosabe wrote:
http://keithptompkins.com/

Tompkins is outrageous.

I'd have loved to have seen that show. If it's going to be re-aired,
someone please let us know!

Anyone know how that sculpture on his homepage was made?

Yeah... I've watched him demo how he does that at one of our meetings...
involves turning, sawing and gluing. The Carolina Mountain Woodturners site
probably gives you a good idea.

Winter Rose is one of most interesting to me...
http://keithptompkins.com/galimg/winterrose.jpg He demoed how he makes the
square blocks on the lathe--which seems absurd when you think about it!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"John Grossbohlin" writes:

Winter Rose is one of most interesting to
me... http://keithptompkins.com/galimg/winterrose.jpg He demoed how he
makes the square blocks on the lathe--which seems absurd when you
think about it!

John

Not to metal workers. :-)

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe..._jaw/4-Jaw.htm

If you want to make non-square objects, It helps to have a 4-jaw
non-scroll chuck.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

John Grossbohlin wrote:

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
kimosabe wrote:
http://keithptompkins.com/

Tompkins is outrageous.

I'd have loved to have seen that show. If it's going to be re-aired,
someone please let us know!

Anyone know how that sculpture on his homepage was made?

Yeah... I've watched him demo how he does that at one of our meetings...
involves turning, sawing and gluing. The Carolina Mountain Woodturners
site probably gives you a good idea.

Must be a lot of hand figuring that creates the transition from the
base to the upper. I can't think of any other way to do it and the
demo doesn't show it.

Winter Rose is one of most interesting to me...
http://keithptompkins.com/galimg/winterrose.jpg He demoed how he makes
the square blocks on the lathe--which seems absurd when you think about it!

Very nice. What is the stem made of?
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
kimosabe wrote:
http://keithptompkins.com/

Tompkins is outrageous.

Winter Rose is one of most interesting to me...
http://keithptompkins.com/galimg/winterrose.jpg He demoed how he makes
the square blocks on the lathe--which seems absurd when you think about
it!

Very nice. What is the stem made of?

As I recall, it's ebony.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
"John Grossbohlin" writes:

Winter Rose is one of most interesting to
me... http://keithptompkins.com/galimg/winterrose.jpg He demoed how he
makes the square blocks on the lathe--which seems absurd when you
think about it!

John

Not to metal workers. :-)

Once folks saw it done it seemed perfectly reasonable but when he said he
was going to do it it just didn't seem reasonable!

HGTV bonnie Home Repair 0 July 26th 08 11:28 PM
Be on HGTV! mac davis Woodturning 0 February 24th 06 06:20 PM
Be on HGTV! - CROSSPOSTED Scratch Ankle Woodturning 0 February 24th 06 12:29 PM
New Yankee on hgtv Mike S. Woodworking 0 April 3rd 05 05:57 AM
Norm gone from HGTV? Scrub Woodworking 72 March 25th 05 02:21 PM