Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
sbnjhfty sbnjhfty is offline

Default Turner on HGTV

John Grossbohlin wrote:

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
kimosabe wrote:
http://keithptompkins.com/

Tompkins is outrageous.

I'd have loved to have seen that show. If it's going to be re-aired,
someone please let us know!

Anyone know how that sculpture on his homepage was made?

Yeah... I've watched him demo how he does that at one of our meetings...
involves turning, sawing and gluing. The Carolina Mountain Woodturners
site probably gives you a good idea.

Must be a lot of hand figuring that creates the transition from the
base to the upper. I can't think of any other way to do it and the
demo doesn't show it.

Winter Rose is one of most interesting to me...
http://keithptompkins.com/galimg/winterrose.jpg He demoed how he makes
the square blocks on the lathe--which seems absurd when you think about it!

Very nice. What is the stem made of?