Posted to rec.woodworking

Default jointer decision

"Jack Stein" wrote in message

Snip

When buying S2S lumber it's the tool to clean up an edge with no muss or
fuss to prep for cutting. I can't imagine hot melting a fence to do this
on a TS if you have a jointer at hand?

I think he is hot melting a straight edge on to the rough edged stock and
runs the straight edge along the TS fence. With this type application or a
sled like I use it takes "1" pass on the TS to straighten the most crooked
of edges. With a jointer that takes several passes. Think about taperng a
leg, you can do that on a jointer with several passes or with 1 pass using a
taper jig on the TS. The jig the TS workes much like a taper jig, it uses
a straight edge to reference the TS fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Snip

When buying S2S lumber it's the tool to clean up an edge with no muss or
fuss to prep for cutting. I can't imagine hot melting a fence to do this
on a TS if you have a jointer at hand?

I think he is hot melting a straight edge on to the rough edged stock and
runs the straight edge along the TS fence. With this type application or a
sled like I use it takes "1" pass on the TS to straighten the most crooked
of edges.

For an irregular, crooked edge I reckon, but thats not what I'm talking
about. S2S is generally ripped fairly straight at the mill, just the
edges are rough, not irregular. I can make several passes on my jointer
and rip the plank to size before my glue gun even warms up. Probably
faster than I can dig out my glue gun and hook it up:-)

With a jointer that takes several passes. Think about taperng a
leg, you can do that on a jointer with several passes or with 1 pass using a
taper jig on the TS. The jig the TS workes much like a taper jig, it uses
a straight edge to reference the TS fence.

Tapered legs are a jointer specialty, wanted or not:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

Tapered legs are a jointer specialty, wanted or not:-)

Not for me...

I greatly prefer my taper sled.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Jack Stein wrote:
Tapered legs are a jointer specialty, wanted or not:-)

Not for me...

I greatly prefer my taper sled.

Whoosh!

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Jack Stein wrote:
Tapered legs are a jointer specialty, wanted or not:-)

Not for me...

I greatly prefer my taper sled.

Whoosh!

Oh, I get it... G

I don't seem to have that problem, so over my head it went!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Snip

For an irregular, crooked edge I reckon, but thats not what I'm talking
about. S2S is generally ripped fairly straight at the mill, just the
edges are rough, not irregular. I can make several passes on my jointer
and rip the plank to size before my glue gun even warms up. Probably
faster than I can dig out my glue gun and hook it up:-)

And, that is why my jig is a sled with 2 toggle clamps. Set up quick.

With a jointer that takes several passes. Think about taperng a
leg, you can do that on a jointer with several passes or with 1 pass
using a taper jig on the TS. The jig the TS workes much like a taper
jig, it uses a straight edge to reference the TS fence.

Tapered legs are a jointer specialty, wanted or not:-)

LOL

O/T: The Decision is in Lew Hodgett[_2_] Woodworking 65 May 19th 08 10:11 PM
Band saw decision Duck Woodworking 12 July 26th 07 05:55 PM
Cyclone decision [email protected] Woodworking 11 February 2nd 05 12:17 AM
Newer Ridgid jointer or older Craftsman jointer RobW Woodworking 5 November 5th 04 04:47 PM