Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default jointer decision

"Jack Stein" wrote in message

Snip

When buying S2S lumber it's the tool to clean up an edge with no muss or
fuss to prep for cutting. I can't imagine hot melting a fence to do this
on a TS if you have a jointer at hand?

I think he is hot melting a straight edge on to the rough edged stock and
runs the straight edge along the TS fence. With this type application or a
sled like I use it takes "1" pass on the TS to straighten the most crooked
of edges. With a jointer that takes several passes. Think about taperng a
leg, you can do that on a jointer with several passes or with 1 pass using a
taper jig on the TS. The jig the TS workes much like a taper jig, it uses
a straight edge to reference the TS fence.