Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: It'a a Zoo Out There

It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.

Below that, heavy rain.

Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or
chains are req'd.

Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.

It has been described as being UGLY out there.

Ah yes, weather is relative.

This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio, and
that is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and it just
plain SUCKS.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:11:31 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.

Below that, heavy rain.

Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or
chains are req'd.

Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.

It has been described as being UGLY out there.

Ah yes, weather is relative.

This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio, and
that is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and it just
plain SUCKS.

Lew

It is a great pity when the Lotus Eaters must engage the Furies.

This Global Warming is a bitch.

tom

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.

Below that, heavy rain.

Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or chains
are req'd.

Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.

It has been described as being UGLY out there.

Ah yes, weather is relative.

This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio, and that
is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and it just plain
SUCKS.

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning and the
freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be those
Californian transplants, you reckon?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning and
the freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be
those Californian transplants, you reckon?

I'm convinced that if you haven't lived in snow (sloppy weather)
country, you probably don't know how to drive in it.

Reduced speed, increased assured clear distance, and 2nd gear seem to
be concepts from a different world, not prudent driving techniques in
bad weather.

BTW, the heavy rains are sure to bring the mud slides in the burn
areas of last months fires.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default It'a a Zoo Out There

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.

Below that, heavy rain.

Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or chains
are req'd.

Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.

It has been described as being UGLY out there.

Ah yes, weather is relative.

This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio, and that
is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and it just plain
SUCKS.

I suppose I could call all you folks wimps.

But......, Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are experienceing our coldest
weather in 18 years. And the snow is falling. It will be mass causulties on
the roads tomorrow.

Most folks around here don't know how to drive in snowing/icey conditions
either.

And this could go on for another week or so. No relief in sight. Now is a
good time to hibernate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.

Below that, heavy rain.

Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or chains
are req'd.

Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.

It has been described as being UGLY out there.

Ah yes, weather is relative.

This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio, and
that is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and it just
plain SUCKS.

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning and the
freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be those
Californian transplants, you reckon?

When we lived in Dallas it was the Northerners who "knew how to drive in
snow" and were going to show us Texans (and experienced transplants) how to
do it right that caused the greatest problems. Yeah, they knew how to
drive in snow, on glaze ice? Not so much.

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message news
Swingman wrote:

[...]

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice is with studded tires. They are not made any more except, maybe, in sweden.

There is, I believe, a new compound for tires that does cling on ice like regular tires on pavement. I also believe it to be experimental only.

Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice - especially at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope for the best.

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

Geez, did you even check before you said that? Current brands, in
stock for immediate delivery include Firestone Winterforce, General
Altimax Arctic, Goodyear Ultra Grip, and Pirelli Winter Carving, and
that's just from one source.

There is, I believe, a new compound for tires that does cling on ice
like regular tires on pavement. I also believe it to be
experimental
only.

Bridgestone Blizzak, Continental Winter Contact, Dunlop SP Winter,
Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip, Michelin Alpin, and Pirelli Winter Snowsport
are just a few brands. Work well enough but not as good as studs.

Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice -
especially at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope
for
the best.

P D Q

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"PDQ" wrote in :

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice
is with studded tires. They are not made any more except, maybe, in
sweden.

A quick Internet search reveals studded tires are still available, but
there's several restrictions on using them. If I lived out in the
country on a gravel road, I'd be considering them. (Or if I lived in
Indiana and had interstate traveling to do. InDOT seems to be on a low
salt diet.)

There is, I believe, a new compound for tires that does cling on ice
like regular tires on pavement. I also believe it to be experimental
only.

Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice - especially
at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope for the best.

It's very much possible to drive on ice, but don't think you'll be able
to drive on ice like dry pavement. After all, I doubt they stud the
tires on the promotional car during a hockey game intermission.

P D Q

An ice storm's supposed to come through tomorrow, leaving maybe 1/4-1/2"
of ice behind. If it's thick enough, I'm going skating!

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:
(Or if I lived in
Indiana and had interstate traveling to do. InDOT seems to be on a
low
salt diet.)

My parents were both Hoosiers.

Back in the 50's my dad commented about how cheap the state of Indiana
was when it came to roads.

Sounds like they still are.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

An ice storm's supposed to come through tomorrow, leaving maybe 1/4-1/2"
of ice behind. If it's thick enough, I'm going skating!

Puckdropper

Puckdropper, you live in Peoria, if I remember right? I have a son in college
in Decatur -- I'm really, really glad he took my advice and came home for
Christmas *today* instead of waiting until tomorrow like he was planning to
do. He's almost 21 now, about at the age where Dad starts getting smart again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! That is exactly what I was trying to
say in a more subtle way. People acclimated to Dallas, either as natives
or by previous experience realized that the answer to transportation on
those occasional (once or twice a year on average) icy days was to
transport oneself to the living room couch, fire up the fireplace, turn on
the TV to watch the traffic entertainment, and wait for afternoon to come
and melt the ice before we ventured out. The recent transplants were bound
to show the rest of us that they knew how to drive in this kind of weather
(the general weather pattern was a bit of snow on top of glaze ice) -- thus
the reason for turning on the TV to get our education in winter driving by
those soon-to-be experienced northern drivers who would be doing the same
thing as the rest of us during the next year's ice/snowstorm.

P D Q

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

However, studded tires are (or at least have been) illegal in Texas.
Tears up the roads.

.... snip
Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice -
especially at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope
for
the best.

See my response

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Swingman wrote:

[...]

Firestone Winterforce - Snow (maybe ice with studs)
General Altimax Arctic - Snow (General says ice but ??)
Goodyear Ultra Grip - Snow (Goodyear says advanced stud pattern for ice)
Pirelli Winter Carving - Snow (Pirelli says "studable)

There is, I believe, a new compound for tires that does cling on ice
like regular tires on pavement. I also believe it to be
experimental
only.

Bridgestone Blizzak, Continental Winter Contact, Dunlop SP Winter,
Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip, Michelin Alpin, and Pirelli Winter Snowsport
are just a few brands. Work well enough but not as good as studs.

Bridgestone Blizzak - Snow (There are zig-zag tire sipes on "Revo" to assist with ice grip)
Continental Winter Contact - Snow (4X4 and SUV application)
Dunlop SP Winter - Snow (only one to push ice without studs)
Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip - Maybe (Not as good on ice as Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip Ice)
Michelin Alpin - Snoew (Michelin very carefully avoids mentioning ice)
Pirelli Winter Snowsport - Snow (performance version of Carving)

Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice -
especially at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope
for
the best.

I still say One can only hang on and hope when one is on wet ice. Maybe one of these tires/tyres will help but, until one has sat through a really slow 360 with no hint it was coming and no capability of stopping it, one really never appreciates how difficult driving on ice is.

P D Q

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

I know where you are coming from and I agree with you.
Had studs in '69 because I was going to the Bonhomme Carnival. Made a mistake when I hit the 401 and ended up in Florida. They do not like studs there.

We cannot use studs on our Ontario highways - except PQ. and it is this application to which I was referring. I know they are in use off-road and would sure appreciate them in winter. Not being able to use studs is what has kept me out of winter tires - plus we generally don't need them.

I mentioned Sweden because of the "James Bonder" that showed what studs on a lake can do. There isn't a Zamboni that could correct that abuse between periods.

P D Q

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message ...
"PDQ" wrote in :

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

SNIP

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message m...

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! That is exactly what I was trying to
say in a more subtle way. People acclimated to Dallas, either as natives
or by previous experience realized that the answer to transportation on
those occasional (once or twice a year on average) icy days was to
transport oneself to the living room couch, fire up the fireplace, turn on
the TV to watch the traffic entertainment, and wait for afternoon to come
and melt the ice before we ventured out. The recent transplants were bound
to show the rest of us that they knew how to drive in this kind of weather
(the general weather pattern was a bit of snow on top of glaze ice) -- thus
the reason for turning on the TV to get our education in winter driving by
those soon-to-be experienced northern drivers who would be doing the same
thing as the rest of us during the next year's ice/snowstorm.

I learned my ice driving in an old beater in a gravel pit. No worry about hitting anyone or doing damage to the vehicle. Just bang it out, buy the boys a beer, and do some more 360's. and super snakes.

It really helped my winter ability but, nothing beats care and caution on the slippery stuff.
\
P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Puckdropper, you live in Peoria, if I remember right?

That's right. It looks like today was the best day to travel this
week.

Maybe you could work a deal with Aventine over in Pekin for some
ethanol to run that stand by generator you are thinking aboutG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.

Below that, heavy rain.

Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or
chains are req'd.

Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.

It has been described as being UGLY out there.

Ah yes, weather is relative.

This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio, and
that is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and it just
plain SUCKS.

Lew

....my eastern friends call me spoiled, but I'm not...I'm COLD! ;O)
(...we *are* a bunch of wussies here, eh, Lew?).

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Groh" wrote:

(...we *are* a bunch of wussies here, eh, Lew?).

Actually, I claim the office of "Chief Candty Ass" as mine.

Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

44 Hell, I'm still in my shorts out in my shop with a space heater.I
live south of the snow belt.
Can you tap in at the breaker to get temp. power ??
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Its about -24F (-31C) outside mine...middle of the Canadian prairies.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote:

44 Hell, I'm still in my shorts out in my shop with a space heater.I
live south of the snow belt.

And where would that be?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 04:38:49 +0000, PDQ wrote
(in article ):

I still say One can only hang on and hope when one is on wet ice. Maybe one

of these tires/tyres will help but, until one has sat through a really slow
360 with no hint it was coming and no capability of stopping it, one really
never appreciates how difficult driving on ice is.

Waltzing on a motorcycle. One of the least pleasant ways I've ever spent a
half hour.. or at least it seemed like half an hour. Probably took less than
two seconds but I had time to remember everybody I ever met and could have
written each of them a letter..

Speaking of "no hint" a neighbour of mine was riding home early morning in
'76, one of the hottest English summers on record. I remember friends had
gone to Athens and it was hotter here than there, no rain, deep blue skies,
office workers in shorts...
He slid off his bike 'cos he hit a big patch of black ice. Dunno where the
water came from. but around 4 am the temperature suddenly dropped (no cloud
cover) and after weeks of high-speed tootling around on dry, grippy roads he
expressed considerable surprise to suddenly find himself upside down , going
sideways. The insurers assumed he was telling whoppas but he had a police
report to back him up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: It'a a Zoo Out There Lew

I'm in Mantua,Ohio. I worked outside for the last 15 years cold doesn't
bother me to much.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Charlie Groh" wrote:

(...we *are* a bunch of wussies here, eh, Lew?).

Actually, I claim the office of "Chief Candty Ass" as mine.

Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation IMHO.

Geez, I don't stop riding my motorcycle until there's snow on the
road.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Its about -24F (-31C) outside mine...middle of the Canadian prairies.

Chris

We had a pleasant 73 yesterday. Supposed to reach 80 today.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A millennium is like a centennial,
only it has more legs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote:

I'm in Mantua,Ohio. I worked outside for the last 15 years cold
doesn't
bother me to much.

Grew up in Wooster then lived in Cleveland area for many years.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:24:34 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning and the
freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be those
Californian transplants, you reckon?

We visited a friend in Dallas a few years ago and he warned us to be careful
driving in there, because the folks there didn't "drive well in the elements"
He than said that "Air is an element"

Didn't seem much different from CA drivers, except in CA they usually have their
turn signals on when they run you off the road..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:28:50 +0000, J. Clarke wrote
(in article ):

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Charlie Groh" wrote:

(...we *are* a bunch of wussies here, eh, Lew?).

Actually, I claim the office of "Chief Candty Ass" as mine.

Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation IMHO.

Geez, I don't stop riding my motorcycle until there's snow on the
road.

so why do you stop then?

It's just too damn tiring to wrestle through snow, don'tya think? Every
short trip feels like completing a (complete) Charles Atlas course, and you
get in, sit on the couch and it takes half an hour for it to stop squirming
from side to side and threatening to fall over.
Have to drink strong espresso just 'cos compared with the adrenalin hit, it's
quite calming.

We haven't had any real snow here for a while though..

Do I miss it?

well.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:
[snip]

so why do you stop then?

It's just too damn tiring to wrestle through snow, don'tya think? Every
short trip feels like completing a (complete) Charles Atlas course, and you
get in, sit on the couch and it takes half an hour for it to stop squirming
from side to side and threatening to fall over.
Have to drink strong espresso just 'cos compared with the adrenalin hit, it's
quite calming.

We haven't had any real snow here for a while though..

Do I miss it?

well.....

Weeeeeeeeell, in the past 3 days we have accumulated about 4 feet of
snow here in the southern Californicate. My neighbors have snow blowers
and I am really nice to them during the year. Sure enough one (who has
barking dogs) cleared out the snowplow berm and I shoveled the rest.

Today, however, Maggy wanted her car out so I called one of the local
contractor guys, Bob, who has serious snow removal equipment. Now Bob
lives outside of town at the end of a 3.5 mile dirt road and is snowed
in. Luckily he keeps his second front loader up here with good old Zack
driving. Happily, the cabins across the street are generally empty so
snow storage is less of a problem.

The sun is shining today with a relative humidity of maybe 30%. A day's
worth of sun and other folk's tire chains usually clears the ice. Oh
and shoveling is good exercise. I guess.
creakingly yours,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:28:50 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

..

Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation IMHO.

Geez, I don't stop riding my motorcycle until there's snow on the
road.

I didn't even stop then back when I was young and stupid (stupider?). I
still remember getting trapped in frozen street car tracks. The only way
out was to stop and lift each wheel out of the groove :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

.

Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation IMHO.

Geez, I don't stop riding my motorcycle until there's snow on the
road.

I didn't even stop then back when I was young and stupid
(stupider?).
I still remember getting trapped in frozen street car tracks. The
only way out was to stop and lift each wheel out of the groove :-).

That's one thing I don't have to worry about around here.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:24:34 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning and the
freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be those
Californian transplants, you reckon?

We visited a friend in Dallas a few years ago and he warned us to be
careful
driving in there, because the folks there didn't "drive well in the
elements"
He than said that "Air is an element"

Yabbut, and in defense of Texans, many, if not most, of the urban dwellers
in Texas these days are not from here (including me).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 4:25*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"mac davis" *wrote

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:24:34 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning and the
freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be those
Californian transplants, you reckon? *

We visited a friend in Dallas a few years ago and he warned us to be
careful
driving in there, because the folks there didn't "drive well in the
elements"
He than said that "Air is an element"

Yabbut, and in defense of Texans, many, if not most, of the urban dwellers
in Texas these days are not from here (including me). *

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Doesn't Lyle Lovett do a song called "That's Right, I'm Not From
Texas"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, it's "That's Right, YOU'RE Not From Texas"!

.... and, in a similar vein, there's Steve Fromholtz', "Come on Down To Texas
..... For A While".

IOW, you're welcome to visit, but please don't stay.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Swingman wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

We got 5.5" of snow Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning, followed
by freezing rain. Current forecasts call for anywhere from 6" to 9"
(and up to 18" depending on the forecaster) between tomorrow morning and
tomorrow afternoon.

I expect this weather to be a minor inconvenience.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

PDQ wrote:

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice is with studded tires.
They are not made any more except, maybe, in sweden.

You can still have non studded snow tires studded for about $8.50 per
tire (WalMart pricing).

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=495845

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

PDQ wrote:

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice
is with studded tires. They are not made any more except, maybe, in
sweden.

Geez, did you even check before you said that? Current brands, in
stock for immediate delivery include Firestone Winterforce, General
Altimax Arctic, Goodyear Ultra Grip, and Pirelli Winter Carving, and
that's just from one source.

For looking at the manufacturers' web sites it looks like all of the
above tires are non studded "snow tires" that can be studded for an
additional fee.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"Nova" wrote in message ...
PDQ wrote:

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice is with studded tires.
They are not made any more except, maybe, in sweden.

You can still have non studded snow tires studded for about $8.50 per
tire (WalMart pricing).

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=495845

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I see we are still on the studs thing.

OK I will agree that studs are still available and may be put in certain snow tires for certain applications.

However, there are a lot of area governments that will NOT allow studs on their highways.

There are even some areas that do -- but those area really do get a lot of ice and snow.

Texas, Florida, and my area (Ontario) do not.

P D Q