Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: It'a a Zoo Out There

"PDQ" wrote in :

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice
is with studded tires. They are not made any more except, maybe, in
sweden.

A quick Internet search reveals studded tires are still available, but
there's several restrictions on using them. If I lived out in the
country on a gravel road, I'd be considering them. (Or if I lived in
Indiana and had interstate traveling to do. InDOT seems to be on a low
salt diet.)

There is, I believe, a new compound for tires that does cling on ice
like regular tires on pavement. I also believe it to be experimental
only.

Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice - especially
at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope for the best.

It's very much possible to drive on ice, but don't think you'll be able
to drive on ice like dry pavement. After all, I doubt they stud the
tires on the promotional car during a hockey game intermission.

P D Q

An ice storm's supposed to come through tomorrow, leaving maybe 1/4-1/2"
of ice behind. If it's thick enough, I'm going skating!

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.