Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default O/T: It'a a Zoo Out There

PDQ wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
news
Swingman wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.

Below that, heavy rain.

Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or
chains are req'd.

Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.

It has been described as being UGLY out there.

Ah yes, weather is relative.

This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio,
and that is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and
it just plain SUCKS.

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning
and
the freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be
those Californian transplants, you reckon?

When we lived in Dallas it was the Northerners who "knew how to
drive in snow" and were going to show us Texans (and experienced
transplants) how to do it right that caused the greatest problems.
Yeah, they knew how to drive in snow, on glaze ice? Not so much.

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice
is with studded tires. They are not made any more except, maybe, in
sweden.

Geez, did you even check before you said that? Current brands, in
stock for immediate delivery include Firestone Winterforce, General
Altimax Arctic, Goodyear Ultra Grip, and Pirelli Winter Carving, and
that's just from one source.

There is, I believe, a new compound for tires that does cling on ice
like regular tires on pavement. I also believe it to be
experimental
only.

Bridgestone Blizzak, Continental Winter Contact, Dunlop SP Winter,
Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip, Michelin Alpin, and Pirelli Winter Snowsport
are just a few brands. Work well enough but not as good as studs.

Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice -
especially at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope
for
the best.

P D Q

--John