Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - We're In Trouble Now

When things are going well Madison Avenue pushes soft luxurious -
expensive things. When things go south they go for strong, tough - and
reliable.

There's a TV ad going out here - with cartoon bears - the message
"Widgets (or whatever the product's called) - Strong AND Tough!"

The product - "bathroom tissues" (read toilet paper).

I never understood the need for "scented" - a box of kitchen matches
left in the bathroom works pefectly well.

But when I think of toilet paper - "tough" and "strong" sort of creeps
me out.
Thankfully, they didn't inlcude a products comparison in graphic terms.

I think the Economic Crisis may be worse than we've been lead to
believe.

charlie b

ps Thank You George!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote

When things are going well Madison Avenue pushes soft luxurious -
expensive things. When things go south they go for strong, tough - and
reliable.

There's a TV ad going out here - with cartoon bears - the message
"Widgets (or whatever the product's called) - Strong AND Tough!"

The product - "bathroom tissues" (read toilet paper).

I never understood the need for "scented" - a box of kitchen matches
left in the bathroom works pefectly well.

But when I think of toilet paper - "tough" and "strong" sort of creeps
me out.
Thankfully, they didn't inlcude a products comparison in graphic terms.

I think the Economic Crisis may be worse than we've been lead to
believe.

I remember, years ago, reading an article about Consumer Reports. It said
that in all the years of testing products, they only had two products that
they could not come up with a way to test them. One was toilet paper.

This is a product that can easily be tested by the consumer. That cheap
stuff from Costco is cruel and unusual punishment.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

I remember, years ago, reading an article about Consumer Reports. It said
that in all the years of testing products, they only had two products that
they could not come up with a way to test them. One was toilet paper.

This is a product that can easily be tested by the consumer. That cheap
stuff from Costco is cruel and unusual punishment.

Dare I ask what the other one was?

jc

And just think, by the time you figure out the stuff from Costco *is* cruel
and unusual, you only have 95 more rolls of it to go through......

Posted to rec.woodworking

"joe" wrote

I remember, years ago, reading an article about Consumer Reports. It
said that in all the years of testing products, they only had two
products that they could not come up with a way to test them. One was
toilet paper.

This is a product that can easily be tested by the consumer. That cheap
stuff from Costco is cruel and unusual punishment.

Dare I ask what the other one was?

The article did not say.

jc

And just think, by the time you figure out the stuff from Costco *is*
cruel and unusual, you only have 95 more rolls of it to go through......

I have seen folks buy several of those monster packs at one time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"charlieb" wrote

[...]

When I was living in Sicily, the local wipe was like crepe paper. The
Americans called it "Non-skid toilet paper".

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man with one watch knows what time
it is--with two watches he is never sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 10, 6:26*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"joe" wrote

jc

And just think, by the time you figure out the stuff from Costco *is*
cruel and unusual, you only have 95 more rolls of it to go through.......

I have seen folks buy several of those monster packs at one time.

Angela saw a guy with two of those enormous packs on his cart and said
to me: "this guy should do something about his bran intake."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

This is a product that can easily be tested by the consumer. That cheap
stuff from Costco is cruel and unusual punishment.

Jeeezzzz ... we are getting soft as a nation, on both ends.

From one who spent weeks in the boonies, where a "tough and strong" leaf, or
a handful of moss, was a rare and blissful find, even the industrial Scott
brand from Sam's is luxurious by comparison.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
From one who spent weeks in the boonies, where a "tough and strong" leaf,

or
a handful of moss, was a rare and blissful find, even the industrial Scott
brand from Sam's is luxurious by comparison.

And you're forgetting the most important thing here. When it comes to strong
and tough or soft and tender, I think the universal choice is the one that's
least liable to break-through. g

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote

When I was living in Sicily, the local wipe was like crepe paper. The
Americans called it "Non-skid toilet paper".

When I visited Iran back in the 60's, when it was common to eat out of a
communal dish, barehanded, and with no TP at all, everyone wiped with their
left and ate with their right ... and you hoped like hell the lefties got it
right!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
When I visited Iran back in the 60's, when it was common to eat out of a
communal dish, barehanded, and with no TP at all, everyone wiped with

their
left and ate with their right ... and you hoped like hell the lefties got

it
right!

Really? It's a wonder everybody didn't die from cholera.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"Swingman" wrote in message
From one who spent weeks in the boonies, where a "tough and strong" leaf,

or
a handful of moss, was a rare and blissful find, even the industrial
Scott
brand from Sam's is luxurious by comparison.

And you're forgetting the most important thing here. When it comes to
strong
and tough or soft and tender, I think the universal choice is the one
that's
least liable to break-through. g

Actually, that was the original reason the word "strang" was invented by the
Middle English ... apparently they had a brand by that name.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
When I visited Iran back in the 60's, when it was common to eat out of a
communal dish, barehanded, and with no TP at all, everyone wiped with

their
left and ate with their right ... and you hoped like hell the lefties got

it
right!

Really? It's a wonder everybody didn't die from cholera.

It has affected all of them "mentally".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
When things are going well Madison Avenue pushes soft luxurious -
expensive things. When things go south they go for strong, tough - and
reliable.

There's a TV ad going out here - with cartoon bears - the message
"Widgets (or whatever the product's called) - Strong AND Tough!"

The product - "bathroom tissues" (read toilet paper).

I never understood the need for "scented" - a box of kitchen matches
left in the bathroom works pefectly well.

But when I think of toilet paper - "tough" and "strong" sort of creeps
me out.
Thankfully, they didn't inlcude a products comparison in graphic terms.

I think the Economic Crisis may be worse than we've been lead to
believe.

charlie b

ps Thank You George!

In a pinch, use one sheet of TP. Fold it in half, and in half again. Tear
off the corner that would be in the center of the sheet when it is unfolded.
Unfold the sheet of paper and stick your middle finger through the hole and
wipe. When done, use the torn off corner to clean under the finger nail.
:~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 00:37:10 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

When things are going well Madison Avenue pushes soft luxurious -
expensive things. When things go south they go for strong, tough - and
reliable.

There's a TV ad going out here - with cartoon bears - the message
"Widgets (or whatever the product's called) - Strong AND Tough!"

The product - "bathroom tissues" (read toilet paper).

Are we talking Sears catalogues?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

That cheap stuff from Costco is cruel and unusual punishment.

Talk about cruel, think back to the 2 holer out back with its supply
of red corn cobs and white corn cobs.

First a red cob, then a white cob to see if another red cob was
necessary.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
When I visited Iran back in the 60's, when it was common to eat out of a
communal dish, barehanded, and with no TP at all, everyone wiped with

their
left and ate with their right ... and you hoped like hell the lefties got

it
right!

Really? It's a wonder everybody didn't die from cholera.

That is the way Arab nomads did it. They didn't have toilet paper and
wiped left and ate right. Also why a severe punishment was to have
one's right hand cut off. It effectively banned you from social contact.
j4
Posted to rec.woodworking

joe wrote:
I remember, years ago, reading an article about Consumer Reports. It said
that in all the years of testing products, they only had two products that
they could not come up with a way to test them. One was toilet paper.

This is a product that can easily be tested by the consumer. That cheap
stuff from Costco is cruel and unusual punishment.

Dare I ask what the other one was?

jc

And just think, by the time you figure out the stuff from Costco *is* cruel
and unusual, you only have 95 more rolls of it to go through......

That's John Wayne paper. Y'know, rough and tough, and won't take crap
from anyone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:
"charlieb" wrote

[...]

I once worked for the US subsidiary of a German company. I was preparing to
fly over on business when my co-worker, who had already been there,
suggested I "rough myself up with some 60-grit sandpaper" to get used to the
local toilet tissue.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 06:43:09 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

When I was living in Sicily, the local wipe was like crepe paper. The
Americans called it "Non-skid toilet paper".

When my sister spent time in Monaco back a couple of decades she
brought back some TP that was like the slick, crinkly tissue paper
used to stuff gift bags. Strange stuff, you could see why you needed a
bidet, the TP (aka bog roll) would never remove all the Star Trek
enemies.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

When I was living in Sicily, the local wipe was like crepe paper. The
Americans called it "Non-skid toilet paper".

When my sister spent time in Monaco back a couple of decades she
brought back some TP that was like the slick, crinkly tissue paper
used to stuff gift bags. Strange stuff, you could see why you needed a
bidet, the TP (aka bog roll) would never remove all the Star Trek
enemies.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.

Some years ago, a friend of my first wife's told me she never could
get used to the TP in British public restrooms, imprinted with
"Property of the Queen", with a consistency more like waxed paper than
anything else she could think of.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

When I was living in Sicily, the local wipe was like crepe paper. The
Americans called it "Non-skid toilet paper".

When my sister spent time in Monaco back a couple of decades she
brought back some TP that was like the slick, crinkly tissue paper
used to stuff gift bags. Strange stuff, you could see why you needed a
bidet, the TP (aka bog roll) would never remove all the Star Trek
enemies.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.

Some years ago, a friend of my first wife's told me she never could
get used to the TP in British public restrooms, imprinted with
"Property of the Queen", with a consistency more like waxed paper than
anything else she could think of.

Sounds like she got the special stuff they put out for tourists. The
normal paper has different wording: "60 grit" (ouch!)

UPC trouble! Dani Electronics Repair 1 August 14th 07 10:37 PM
Now I'm In Big Trouble! Mike M Woodworking 16 January 13th 07 03:54 AM
Does anyone make a trouble free trouble light? Ulysses Home Repair 4 August 18th 05 07:04 PM
JVC T.V. trouble! Rono Electronics Repair 0 June 8th 05 09:03 PM
Tv trouble icantthinkofaname .................. Electronics Repair 8 August 16th 03 05:34 AM