icantthinkofaname ..................

Default Tv trouble

I just got a new tv (panasoic 27") ive got it all hooked up but i
accidently put it too close to a speaker and didnt notice it right away
now i have this green blob in the lower left corner anyone know how i
can fix it myself? thanks

Rid

You could move the speaker then turn off the tv (mains not standby) leave it
for 20 mins then try it ....the auto deggausing should then work

Rid

"icantthinkofaname .................." wrote in
message ...
I just got a new tv (panasoic 27") ive got it all hooked up but i
accidently put it too close to a speaker and didnt notice it right away
now i have this green blob in the lower left corner anyone know how i
can fix it myself? thanks

icantthinkofaname ..................

as soon as i nticed it last night i moved the speaker and turned it off
i checked it this morning and its still there

William R. Walsh

Move the speaker away, and unplug the set. Leave it unplugged overnight.

This should trigger the demagnetization circuitry when the set is plugged
back in and restore your set to proper operation. If there should be some
residual discoloration left, try the whole cycle again.

If the speaker was particularly large or the actual speaker driver assembly
got too close to the set or its screen more permanent damage may have been
done. This is rather unlikely, but possible if the discoloration will not go
away after two or three cycles.

William

Sofie

icanthinkofaname:
It may take several cycles of the television's auto-degaussing circuitry to
correct the problem. if the problem persists you should temporarily move
the television to a different place in the room to see if that takes care of
it.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"icantthinkofaname .................." wrote in
message ...
as soon as i nticed it last night i moved the speaker and turned it off
i checked it this morning and its still there

icantthinkofaname ..................

thanks...should i move all electronic devices away from the set? (i.e
video games, phones, vcr/dvd)

Sam Goldwasser

You don't use a degaussing coil to do it?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

(Jerry Greenberg) writes:

Phones and some video games contain magnetic materials. The phone has
a magnet in the speaker unit that can be fairly strong, but should not
radiate more than about 2 feet. Speaker magnets are very strong.

Most video games should not emit a strong field. VCR's and DVD's
should not have strong magnets in them, especialy the VCR!

An Interesting Story That Happened To Me About Magnetism.

I wear a good qaulity mechanical watch. I have had it since the middle
70's. It has been very accurate, and dependable. The case and glass
look like it is over 30 years, but I love the watch!

When I bought my first cell phone in the early 90's, the watch started
to go off time. It was slowing down. I brought it to the manufacture
service people. They kept the watch for 3 weeks, and did a complete
cleaning and lubrication on it (remember it is a windup job). I get it
cleaned and lubricated every 3 to 5 years.

When I put the watch on, it was perfect. It is supposed to keep to
within about +-2 seconds per day. This is very good for a windup
watch.

After a week it started to go very slow. Infact it was loosing about
20 to 30 seconds per day! I brought it back. They found that the
movement was magnetized! They demagnetized the watch and gave it
back to me.

A week later I was back with it running slow again. The tech came out
and scanned me with a gause meter. He found the culprit. It was the
dambed CELL PHONE !!!

He proved it to me. He demagnetized the watch, and showed me on their
calibrator, the watch was to specs. I put it back on, and picked up
the cell phone with the same hand. I held the phone for a minute, and
put it down. When checking the watch it was magentized a little bit.
It was also running a bit slow for its specs.

I still wear the watch, and since I am near to the service center, I
go in about once a month to demagnetize the watch. I have to put up
with it going slow from the cell phone magnetizing it. I don't want
to change the watch. Its old, a little beatup, and I don't want to
change it!

icantthinkofaname ..................

Default Tv trouble (one more question)

Is it possible for the internal speakers of the tv to cause "color
spots"?

TV Fixer1

It's possible, but highly unlikely, as the speakers are magnetically shielded
to prevent that very thing