Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any ideas for a elevated deer blind?

I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow hunting. About 5-6'
off the ground. I can come up with something fairly mundane that is going to work but I'd
like to hear about any interesting tweeks the deer hunters have incorporated into the
typical 6x6 or 4x6 stand.

This will be on private land. I'm tired of freezing my arse off in improvised ground
blinds.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:51:33 -0500, Wes cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow hunting. About 5-6'
off the ground. I can come up with something fairly mundane that is going to work but I'd
like to hear about any interesting tweeks the deer hunters have incorporated into the
typical 6x6 or 4x6 stand.

This will be on private land. I'm tired of freezing my arse off in improvised ground
blinds.

Thanks,

Wes

If I were going to build a stand, it would be a lot higher than 5-6 feet
off the ground. I usually take my climber up to 20-25 feet. It's good to
get above their normal sight elevation.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 27, 10:51*pm, Wes wrote:
I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow hunting. *About 5-6'
off the ground. *I can come up with something fairly mundane that is going to work but I'd
like to hear about any interesting tweeks the deer hunters have incorporated into the
typical 6x6 or 4x6 stand.

I hope this isn't taken as insulting but is hiding in a blind and
waiting for a deer to wander by really hunting? My young grand
daughter can do that. I thought hunting was going into the woods
using woodland skills to sneak up close enough to a deer to shoot it.
Richard
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote

daughter can do that. I thought hunting was going into the woods
using woodland skills to sneak up close enough to a deer to shoot it.

Sorry, dude ... "woodland skills" are something only practiced around the
water cooler on the Monday following opening day.

I no longer deer hunt (but I will take all the venison anyone has to offer),
but for the 45 years that I did we always did it from a blind, both in Texas
and Louisiana, however "deer blinds", like cars, are definitely getting
fancier.

One can only imagine the one Dick Cheney hunts from ...

Besides ... stalking deer, with woodland skills, and during hunting season,
and since about 1900, is probably as good a way to commit suicide as any.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:

I hope this isn't taken as insulting but is hiding in a blind and
waiting for a deer to wander by really hunting? My young grand
daughter can do that. I thought hunting was going into the woods
using woodland skills to sneak up close enough to a deer to shoot it.

Oh, no offense taken. It gets damn cold up here. I can't take 3 1/2 hrs of still hunting
like I used to. I want to be above the sight line, able to shoot down to make sure my
round doesn't leave the property and most importantly, keep warm.

Wes

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wes wrote:

I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow
hunting.

From what I've heard, the "Bambi" complex has allowed deer to flourish
in of all places, suburban neighborhoods along then east coast.

Lots of deer, just don't know how you get them.

Had a sailing acquaintance who had a real problem with deer in his
corn fields in the L/P of Michigan.

He encouraged deer hunting on his land.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard" wrote in message
On Nov 27, 10:51 pm, Wes wrote:
I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow
hunting. About 5-6'
off the ground. I can come up with something fairly mundane that is going
to work but I'd
like to hear about any interesting tweeks the deer hunters have
incorporated into the
typical 6x6 or 4x6 stand.

I hope this isn't taken as insulting but is hiding in a blind and
waiting for a deer to wander by really hunting? My young grand
daughter can do that. I thought hunting was going into the woods
using woodland skills to sneak up close enough to a deer to shoot it.
Richard

I suppose it depends if you think hunting is a game or not. I hunt to put
food on the table, not as a sport. I do it on my own property, so for the
cost of a 12 gauge slug, I can get 60 or more pounds of meat. I tell you
what. Tell your young granddaughter to climb into a deer stand at 5am when
it's 20 degrees out and sit still for about 4 hours. Then, when a deer
comes by, stare down the barrel of a 12-gauge and put a slug in its heart.
Then field dress it and later skin and butcher it. She'd have no problems
with that, right?

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wes" wrote in message
I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow
hunting. About 5-6'
off the ground. I can come up with something fairly mundane that is going
to work but I'd
like to hear about any interesting tweeks the deer hunters have
incorporated into the
typical 6x6 or 4x6 stand.

This will be on private land. I'm tired of freezing my arse off in
improvised ground
blinds.

Thanks,

Wes

Ours is more like 15 feet off the ground and is no larger than 4x6. It has
awning windows and most importantly, a small heater attached to a 30-lb
propane tank. The swivel seat is handy for spinning around to check the
windows. A footrest would be nice.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:51 pm, Wes wrote:
I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and
bow
hunting. About 5-6' off the ground. I can come up with something
fairly mundane that is going to work but I'd like to hear about any
interesting tweeks the deer hunters have incorporated into the
typical 6x6 or 4x6 stand.

I hope this isn't taken as insulting but is hiding in a blind and
waiting for a deer to wander by really hunting? My young grand
daughter can do that. I thought hunting was going into the woods
using woodland skills to sneak up close enough to a deer to shoot
it.

The skill lies in knowing where to put it so that one actually
encounters a deer, and in not frightening the deer away before it gets
in range.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Wes wrote:

I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and
bow
hunting.

From what I've heard, the "Bambi" complex has allowed deer to
flourish
in of all places, suburban neighborhoods along then east coast.

Lots of deer, just don't know how you get them.

Had a sailing acquaintance who had a real problem with deer in his
corn fields in the L/P of Michigan.

He encouraged deer hunting on his land.

I could have gotten one from my bathroom window this year, except that
even with a deer tag it's unlawful to discharge a firearm within x
feet of a residence.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Wes wrote:

I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow
hunting.

From what I've heard, the "Bambi" complex has allowed deer to flourish
in of all places, suburban neighborhoods along then east coast.

Lots of deer, just don't know how you get them.

My daughter's fiancee used the left front fender of his Toyota Thursday
evening.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Richard wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:51=A0pm, Wes wrote:
I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow hunt=

ing. =A0About 5-6'
off the ground. =A0I can come up with something fairly mundane that is go=

ing to work but I'd
like to hear about any interesting tweeks the deer hunters have incorpora=

ted into the
typical 6x6 or 4x6 stand.

I hope this isn't taken as insulting but is hiding in a blind and
waiting for a deer to wander by really hunting? My young grand
daughter can do that. I thought hunting was going into the woods
using woodland skills to sneak up close enough to a deer to shoot it.

Lots of people who have never been hunting think that. Try it some time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "J. Clarke" wrote:
I could have gotten one from my bathroom window this year, except that
even with a deer tag it's unlawful to discharge a firearm within x
feet of a residence.

Check the laws in your state: it may be legal if it's *your* residence. Some
places, it's legal with the consent of the resident.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Nova wrote in news:5RbYk.1770$QX3.1034
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Wes wrote:

I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand for gun and bow
hunting.

From what I've heard, the "Bambi" complex has allowed deer to flourish
in of all places, suburban neighborhoods along then east coast.

Lots of deer, just don't know how you get them.

My daughter's fiancee used the left front fender of his Toyota Thursday
evening.

But, did he have a permit? Is/was it hunting season where your future
SIL was "hunting"?

I didn't really enjoy hitting a deer with my friend's car, although there
was absolutely no damage to the car.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 5:04 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

Sorry, dude ... "woodland skills" are something only practiced around the
water cooler on the Monday following opening day.

By Gawd, isn't that the truth. I grew up in the hunting culture, and
we wore comfy clothes, had "experienced" firearms, and enjoyed getting
out and away from thing as much as we did hunting. It is now
considered a style show by many, and like some with tools, it is more
important to have the most up to date and coolest gear over knowing
how to use the stuff.

I no longer deer hunt (but I will take all the venison anyone has

to offer),
Besides ... stalking deer, with woodland skills, and during hunting season,
and since about 1900, is probably as good a way to commit suicide as any.

True, true. I got a good laugh out of that one.

As as hunting from a blind, obviously some here have not hunted from
one, and don't understand why they came about.

In West Texas, you can get to areas where you can see a quarter of a
mile, unimpeded. Since the deer can see better, hear better, and
smell better, this can be a great habitat for them. If you aren't
patient and plan well, you will never even see them. A blind is a
must as you will NEVER stalk a deer under those circumstances.
Crawling on your belly give a suspicious enough profile to scare a
trophy buck.

And in dense woodlands, you won't sneak up on much these days. They
will hear and see you well before you discover them.

But all that being said, I lost interest in deer hunting, and I am not
sure why. The hunting culture changed, it is EXPENSIVE, and it takes
a lot of time away from other things. I love to jump in the truck and
shoot dove and quail when I can, but it isn't often.

I knew it was time for me to hang up my rifle when I started taking a
pint up into those cold blinds with me. 20 feet off the ground, and
with the wind blowing up my butt, if I didn't see anything moving an
hour after first light I would unload my gun and sip some whiskey.
This made me go to sleep in the blind, which had nothing to do with
hunting. I noticed this became a pattern, so that was that.

Like you, I will take all the venison I can get. I don't even mind
the processing part of the hunt, nor making the sausage or the other
things that go with it. But there seems to be less and less hunters
around, and even less affordable places to hunt.

Odd too, that we have two different subdivisions that have so many
deer in them that they are paying to have them trapped and hauled
off. In those bergs, it is illegal to kill them, illegal to trap
them, and illegal to feed them. The feeding isn't necessary though,
as they live fine in the green belts, and on the manicured lawns of
St. Augustine, drinking out of bird baths and dog bowls when thirsty.
It isn't unusual to drive through those subdivisions and see 8 - 10 pt
bucks in front yards. In the last three years, one of those
subdivisions paid to have almost 600 animals hauled away. What a
strange place to live.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've been thinking of building a elevated deer stand . . . . .

Click here for some ideas =

http://tinyurl.com/65zkvn

Smitty
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

But all that being said, I lost interest in deer hunting, and I am not
sure why. The hunting culture changed, it is EXPENSIVE, and it takes
a lot of time away from other things. I love to jump in the truck and
shoot dove and quail when I can, but it isn't often.

During the the first 40 years of my life there were years where I did not
miss a single day of duck and goose season, went dove and quail hunting most
every weekday afternoon during those seasons (only to miss the office
workers on the weekends), and went deer hunting half a dozen times a year,
but the latter for meat only ... and would still rather kill a spike buck
with just enough of a spread to hang a ring on, than with a big rack, just
for the better eating.

Completely lost interest in it when corporations started buying up hunting
leases in Texas and Louisiana, driving the price beyond what a few family
members and friends could pay a farmer/rancher, the latter historically
being the market until the influx of folks from up yonder in the early 70's.

Neither state today is anything like the one I grew up in as far a hunting
(or anything else for that matter, including laws, tainted with urban stink,
I never expected to see passed in either Texas or Louisiana)

If that fact could be attributed to any one single factor more others, I
would have to say it is the rise of corporate and absentee ownership.

Much of Texas these days is either owned by corporations, or some
doctor/lawyer from Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and/or Austin.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 12:53*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

Much of Texas these days is either owned by corporations, or some
doctor/lawyer from Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and/or Austin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Much of Texas these days is either owned by corporations, or some
doctor/lawyer from Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and/or
Austin.

That happened in my part of Ohio while I was still in high school back
in the '50s.

Unless you were a dues paying member of an organization, your hunting
possibilities were severely limited.

My gawd how I hate that pig story, but every one of those nitwits
seem

to have had that same dramatic experience with the same "old Tusker"
that had killed many dogs, and probably a few men as well.

Several years ago a guy fenced off a big piece of land in SE Ohio and
had wild pigs inside. (Better part of a couple of counties as I
remember.)

There wasn't much you could do with this land, is wasn't very
productive as farm land.

Had a friend and a customer who would go hunting for a couple of weeks
each year to some rather interesting places.

One year he went bow hunting for wild pig in the SE Ohio preserve.

Had the head of that gnarly pig mounted and hung above his desk,
complete with the arrow that had a severely bent shaft draped over the
head.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

But on the ready, no doubt, in case they have to drag out that same
old tired lie of being attacked by wild pigs (javelinas).

My gawd how I hate that pig story, but every one of those nitwits seem
to have had that same dramatic experience with the same "old Tusker"
that had killed many dogs, and probably a few men as well.

LOL ... only got one javelina story, and this one is true, honest!

We got off the school bus one afternoon and noticed, as we walked down the
highway toward our respective lanes and had already passed the second dead
dog, that a number of other neighborhood strays were belly up on the both
sides of the road.

Ronnie, who actually had raised his javelina as a pet (sort of ... it stayed
in a stout pen by their barn), since before it was weaned, just looked at me
and in a matter of fact voice said: "Oh, oh, looks like baby sweet pea got
loose again."

Well, it was funny at the time ... but maybe you had to be there.

One mean pig ...Chuck and Jack woulda been proud.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

LOL ... only got one javelina story, and this one is true, honest!

We got off the school bus one afternoon and noticed, as we walked down the
highway toward our respective lanes and had already passed the second dead
dog, that a number of other neighborhood strays were belly up on the both
sides of the road.

My brother and I were out in in SW Texas between Ruidoso Texas and Marpha on our bicycles
on a ranch road. We saw a family of javelina's trotting by.

We decided that the best thing to do is just keep quiet until they were out of sight. How
ornery are those things with humans?

Wes
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 2:33*pm, Wes wrote:

We decided that the best thing to do is just keep quiet until they were out of sight. *How
ornery are those things with humans?

No more ornery than any other species. They will panic and go like
hell in all directions if spooked.

This leads to the magnificent tales of daring do by the Frank Buck
set.

Next time you see them, make a loud noise. IF they hear it and IF
they pay attention, they will disperse in all directions. This leads
to the stories of the infamous "attacks". These pigs, like any wild
animal, don't like to be cornered or threatened.

But they have notoriously poor eyesight, fair hearing, but a keen
sense of smell. But if panicked, and running like hell in all
directions it can appear that one is "coming right for you" if it is
panicking/coming in your direction. No doubt they will give you a
nasty reminder that they are wild animals if you block their way, but
they certainly aren't any kind of predators.

And granted too, if you see a large group of screaming pigs flying in
all directions it can be unnerving. These animals are perfectly
capable of defending themselves. And since they are butt nasty ugly
and can grow some pretty large chompers, they can look pretty mean and
scary. But their first defense is flight.

To be clear, I am not talking about those big Russian boars (not
uncommon to be 200+ pounds) and their variants that live in the East
Texas Piney Woods. I am talking about your garden variety javelina,
which a giant boar would probably be about 90 - 100 lbs undressed.

They are shot around here without reservation as they reproduce
easily, and have voracious appetites. They can tear up a fresh field
to the point of needing a replant in absolutely no time, and will tear
up anything to get at food. Sometimes it seems they root and tear up
land because it's fun. No farmer or rancher around here wants them
around for any reason.

I completely believe Swing's recollection of his youth. If I had my
dog out hunting and we ran across the javelinas, I would hide the dog
immediately. Dogs mistake their smaller size and running away as easy
game. But when cornered... watch out! I'd bet on the pig every time.

Robert