Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Elevated Dishwasher

Yesterday I was wondering about toe-kick drawer installation. Didn't
quite get it, but I'm better off than before. Today I would like to
ask about raising the dishwasher maybe 12" or so above the usual
counter height. Back trouble. This would help to not have to crawl
inside to get out the dishes on lower level. A drawer could be
installed underneath...right?
Any ideas on this one? Side finishing? Top finishes? Exact height to
raise it? Has anybody actually done it? I saw it at a custom cabinet
shop and loved it. Didn't love the price. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cattracker" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yesterday I was wondering about toe-kick drawer installation. Didn't
quite get it, but I'm better off than before. Today I would like to
ask about raising the dishwasher maybe 12" or so above the usual
counter height. Back trouble. This would help to not have to crawl
inside to get out the dishes on lower level. A drawer could be
installed underneath...right?
Any ideas on this one? Side finishing? Top finishes? Exact height to
raise it? Has anybody actually done it? I saw it at a custom cabinet
shop and loved it. Didn't love the price. Thanks.

Minor plumbing changes needed, but not a big deal. Yes, it can be done.
How high? That is for you to determine depending on your height; put the
machine on a couple of different platforms to wee what fits you. . Same
material as you counter can be used on the top. I'd use wood sides, same
material as used on your cabinets. If they are new, you may be able to buy
panels from the supplier and cut to fit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PK PK is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

[...]

Yep, no problem ... I know a house that has one maybe ~30" off ground level.
Additional strength required in base unit, secure well ... make sure it's
tied in well at the rear so that when you open both drawers full of plates,
glasses etc. it doesn't want to tip forward.

Regards,
PK

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think raising a dishwasher is a great idea. More power to you!

Bringing it up even 12 inches is enough to relieve your back. Bringing
it up to counter level would make you reach for the top rack, so I
wouldn't advise that. Remember, that the higher you raise it, the less
usable the space on top is, that is if you aren't sinking it into a
wall of other things.

One alternative is to get a single drawer dishwasher, or get two and
place on either side of the sink. This solves the reach over problem.
They are very expensive though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

You could get one of those drawer dishwashers.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/ca...categoryId=887

Get 2 single drawer models and put them side by side.