Ron

Default Butcher block countertop ideas.

Stopped by HD yesterday for an estimate on some butcher block countertop.
Yikes.
They quoted me ~$300 for a 9' laminated piece, w/ backsplash & dripedge.
I believe it was from Vanguard???

I was told the solid variety would be around $800.

So, I'm considering building one myself.

I was thinking about mixing two species of lighter colored woods, white oak
& maple possiblly?

Start with 6/4 stock, cut into 1" strips, alternate strips, glue & clear
coat.

Since food contact is obvious, what type(s) of glue & clear finish is
recommended?
Is glue and clamping sufficient?
I have some Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat sanding sealer, can I start with
this?

Would a solid (single species) backsplash

Any other suggestions are welcome,
ThankX
Ron

Ron

"Ron" wrote in message
Stopped by HD yesterday for an estimate on some butcher block countertop.
Yikes.
They quoted me ~$300 for a 9' laminated piece, w/ backsplash & dripedge.
I believe it was from Vanguard???

I was told the solid variety would be around $800.

So, I'm considering building one myself.

I was thinking about mixing two species of lighter colored woods, white

oak
& maple possiblly?

Start with 6/4 stock, cut into 1" strips, alternate strips, glue & clear
coat.

Since food contact is obvious, what type(s) of glue & clear finish is
recommended?
Is glue and clamping sufficient?
I have some Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat sanding sealer, can I start with
this?

Did some more research (Googling..) and found a product called 'Salad Bowl
Finish'
from General Finishes. Non-toxic (when dry) and approved for food contact.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:07:06 +0000, Ron wrote:

[...]

Years ago I made one by gluing 1x2 maple and then taking the piece to a
local shop where it was sanded in their wide belt sander. Turned out
great. I never have had any problem with any separation.

I kept mine looking good with an occasional application of mineral oil,
although I always wondered whether this would really be necessary given
the maple being not so porous. I certainly wouldn't put any solvent based
sealer on it.

If I were to make it again, I might get classy and put in some contrasting
wood strips, perhaps of walnut or cherry. Might make my cooking turn out
classy as well.

J Pagona aka Y.B.

From: "Ron"

Did some more research (Googling..) and found a product called 'Salad Bowl
Finish'
from General Finishes. Non-toxic (when dry) and approved for food contact.

Actually, all drying finishes are safe for food contact when dry. If you plan
to do any cutting on your countertop, then a film finish like the "Salad Bowl
Finish" will get damaged and be a lot of work to repair. Mineral oil or a
mineral oil and beeswax mixture would be a better choice, since you can wipe
more on when needed. I also like to use unprocessed walnut oil on wooden
eating implements such as bowls and spoons. If you always use a cutting board,
the Salad Bowl Finish is ok.

David

remove the key to email me.
Jon Endres, PE

Ron,

A 9' piece of 24" wide maple butcherblock should not be anywhere near $800.
I stopped in to the new Woodcraft near me a couple days ago, and they had 24
x 84 workbench tops, laminated/finger jointed maple, on sale for (IIRC)
about $379. It will be a lot of work to make your own, and unless you have
ready access to a *lot* of clamps, a way to surface the block when it's
glued up, and the materials for cheap, it won't be worth it. I know with a
9' length, I'd be needing 9'+ lengths of maple as well, because I wouldn't
want end grain butt joints in the middle of the countertop.

I wouldn't recommend oak, unless it's white oak, and that may not go too
well visually with the maple.

Try restaurant supply places, as well as Grizzly. I believe they sell maple
butcherblock.

Jon E

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

J Pagona aka Y.B.

From: "Jon Endres, PE"

I know with a
9' length, I'd be needing 9'+ lengths of maple as well, because I wouldn't
want end grain butt joints in the middle of the countertop.

Strength of an end grain but joint in a row of butcher block is not an issue,
as long as the joint is lapped sufficiently on both sides with a solid piece of
wood. The trick is to keep all of the joints at least 6" apart in adjoining
rows.

David

remove the key to email me.
Greg

I bought the maple for an 80"x25"x1.5" from Croffwoodmills.com for about $175
shipped. I bought a finished 72x30 workbench top from Grainger for $200.
I like the one I made better than the one I bought but that may just be me ;-)
patriarch

"Ron" wrote in

Stopped by HD yesterday for an estimate on some butcher block
countertop. Yikes.
They quoted me ~$300 for a 9' laminated piece, w/ backsplash &
dripedge. I believe it was from Vanguard???

I was told the solid variety would be around $800.

So, I'm considering building one myself.

snip

You may want to look for a Lumber Liquidators near you. They sell butcher
block counter top more reasonably than that.

Next question: How soon do you need it done? Making your own will take
you a while. Not every one who uses MY kitchen is willing/able to wait for
me to 'do it up pretty'.

Patriarch, blessed with a very patient wife in MANY regards.

Butcher Block Top Woodster Woodworking 18 January 7th 04 11:16 PM
ripping butcher block maple top keith Woodworking 5 November 15th 03 11:33 AM
Old butcher block for workbench top? Peter Bogiatzidis Woodworking 5 October 24th 03 02:16 PM
Maple Butcher Block -finishing question: fred Woodworking 3 August 24th 03 12:54 AM
Coating a Butcher Block...? Mr B Woodworking 0 August 9th 03 03:45 PM