Ron

Default Butcher block countertop ideas.

Stopped by HD yesterday for an estimate on some butcher block countertop.
Yikes.
They quoted me ~$300 for a 9' laminated piece, w/ backsplash & dripedge.
I believe it was from Vanguard???

I was told the solid variety would be around $800.

So, I'm considering building one myself.

I was thinking about mixing two species of lighter colored woods, white oak
& maple possiblly?

Start with 6/4 stock, cut into 1" strips, alternate strips, glue & clear
coat.

Since food contact is obvious, what type(s) of glue & clear finish is
recommended?
Is glue and clamping sufficient?
I have some Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat sanding sealer, can I start with
this?

Would a solid (single species) backsplash

Any other suggestions are welcome,
ThankX
Ron