fred

Default Maple Butcher Block -finishing question:

I know you're supposed to use mineral oil to maintain these, but is there a
step I'm missing between the joining of the panel and the application of the
oil? I can't find a step-by-step guide, but I'm thinking the panel should
be sealed somehow before being oiled and used?

thanks!
FL

jm

"fred" wrote in message
I know you're supposed to use mineral oil to maintain these, but is

there
step I'm missing between the joining of the panel and the application of

the
oil? I can't find a step-by-step guide, but I'm thinking the panel

should
be sealed somehow before being oiled and used?

thanks!
FL

I can't help you, but I am planning on making one of these. Did you use a
plan? How did you start? What is "the panel?"

jm

"Barry Lennox" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:35:28 GMT, "fred" wrote:

I know you're supposed to use mineral oil to maintain these, but is there

step I'm missing between the joining of the panel and the application of

the
oil? I can't find a step-by-step guide, but I'm thinking the panel

should
be sealed somehow before being oiled and used?

thanks!
FL

I made one with maybe 3-4 coats of shellac, can't recall the mix, but
it was thin. Then soya bean oil rubbed in well. The old adage is:

Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
Once a year forever,

I have not followed that strictly, but close enough, and it seems to
work very well.

Barry Lennox

Isn't that just if you aren't going to put food on it?