Peter Bogiatzidis

Default Old butcher block for workbench top?

Hello,

I may have a chance to get some old butcher block that's being removed from
a restaurant remodel. The plan is to use it for a workbench top. Any reason
to be concerned about it from a health standpoint, considering how it has
been used? My thought was to scrub it down with a water and bleach solution,
then have it planed in order to both clean and true it up. Any comments or
suggestions?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply.

Peter.

---

Woodman

I'd imagine it would be relatively safe once you have implemented those
measures you speak of.
Bleach kills just about everything! including the HIV virus believe it or
not.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski, RN. BNurs. QUT, PGCert(CCU)
Editor, Computer Pilot Magazine.
The Monthly Magazine for Desktop Pilots & Flight Simulation Enthusiasts
http://www.computerpilot.com

PC Aviator - The Flight Simulation Company
Providing Flight Simulation Hardware & Software for Over 12 Years!
http://www.pcaviator.com.au (Australasian Customers)
http://www.pcaviator.com (U.S., Canadian and International Customers)

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I may have a chance to get some old butcher block that's being removed

from
a restaurant remodel. The plan is to use it for a workbench top. Any

reason
to be concerned about it from a health standpoint, considering how it has
been used? My thought was to scrub it down with a water and bleach

solution,
then have it planed in order to both clean and true it up. Any comments or
suggestions?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply.

Peter.

---

JackD

Yep, bleach should be sufficient. Believe it or not it works best if it is
diluted and not used full strength.
As for planing, no need. Simply turn the block over. I guarantee that no one
has been chopping on the underside.

-Jack

"Woodman" wrote in message
[...]

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:30:00 GMT, "Peter Bogiatzidis"
wrote:

Any reason
to be concerned about it from a health standpoint, considering how it has
been used?

Even assuming it's full of whatever it's full of, then it's going to
be safer as a workbench than it would have been to leave it in the
restaurant kitchen. Give it a good bleaching if you want to, by all
means.

Will you need to flatten it ? Sounds like a good excuse to buy a big
L-N low-angle butcher-block flattening iron 8-)

How big is this thing ? I've seen butcher blocks in kitchens, but
never one big enough to use as a benchtop.

Tom Kohlman

If it was used in a restaurant, do you think it contains something that can
kill you? Did they have any repeat customers or where there always a lot of
ambulances in the parking lot? I think you'll be fine whether you treat it
or not, especially since you are only using it for a workbench top (and I
envy you for such a find...if it's old, I guessing it's quarter-sawn maple
glued on the flats and you will be passing that workbench down several
generations).
..