Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collector question

I have a Grizzly Dust collector which has, up to now, been just fine. Lately
I've noticed a drop in efficiency so I cleaned out the lower bag, checked
for leaks in the system and any blockages in the PVC 4" pipes - all seems
ok. I have an add-on upper bag which is supposed to filter better that the
supplied one. I have never tried to clean it mainly because the lower bag
gets all the sawdust, etc.

Should I try to clean the upper bag and how? Doesn't seem like there's
anything to 'empty' but appears that there's a fine coating of dust along
the walls. Would this result in reduced suction? I guess I could try a shop
vac.

Thanx,

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:16:36 -0700, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

I have a Grizzly Dust collector which has, up to now, been just fine. Lately
I've noticed a drop in efficiency so I cleaned out the lower bag, checked
for leaks in the system and any blockages in the PVC 4" pipes - all seems
ok. I have an add-on upper bag which is supposed to filter better that the
supplied one. I have never tried to clean it mainly because the lower bag
gets all the sawdust, etc.

Should I try to clean the upper bag and how? Doesn't seem like there's
anything to 'empty' but appears that there's a fine coating of dust along
the walls. Would this result in reduced suction? I guess I could try a shop
vac.

Thanx,

Vic

Hi Vic,

Yes, it is the upper bag that needs to be cleaned... (The
lower bag just contains the stuff that falls so it is not
directly related to changes in efficiency.)

I don't know any fancy way to clean the upper bag, but a
shop vac certainly would not hurt, and others may suggest
better methods.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:

Should I try to clean the upper bag and how? Doesn't seem like there's
anything to 'empty' but appears that there's a fine coating of dust
along the walls. Would this result in reduced suction? I guess I could
try a shop vac.

The upper bag will get a fair bit of fine dust, which will clog the
pores and reduce airflow. DON'T use a shopvac right up against the
fabric, as the airspeed is too high and could damage the fabric.

Try just holding onto the fabric at different spots and shaking it. You
should see a fair bit of the dust cake just fall off and into the lower bag.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
Vic Baron wrote:

Should I try to clean the upper bag and how? Doesn't seem like there's
anything to 'empty' but appears that there's a fine coating of dust along
the walls. Would this result in reduced suction? I guess I could try a
shop vac.

The upper bag will get a fair bit of fine dust, which will clog the pores
and reduce airflow. DON'T use a shopvac right up against the fabric, as
the airspeed is too high and could damage the fabric.

Try just holding onto the fabric at different spots and shaking it. You
should see a fair bit of the dust cake just fall off and into the lower
bag.

Chris

Thanks Chris - that makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kenneth wrote:

Hi Vic,

Yes, it is the upper bag that needs to be cleaned... (The
lower bag just contains the stuff that falls so it is not
directly related to changes in efficiency.)

I don't know any fancy way to clean the upper bag, but a
shop vac certainly would not hurt, and others may suggest
better methods.

All the best,

I take my upper back outside, turn the bag inside out and shake the dust
out. Make sure you're up wind from the bag.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kenneth" wrote in message
I don't know any fancy way to clean the upper bag, but a
shop vac certainly would not hurt, and others may suggest
better methods.

Whack it with a stick.

Dust Collector Question Dr. Deb Woodturning 6 January 28th 08 05:23 PM
Dust Collector Question Dr. Deb Woodworking 6 January 27th 08 10:30 PM
Dust Collector question TH Woodworking 7 February 10th 07 03:09 AM
dust collector and separator question Alex Metalworking 7 October 25th 05 04:33 PM
Dust collector question [email protected] Woodworking 15 October 20th 05 09:17 AM