Alex

Default dust collector and separator question

I just got a 2HP, 1550 CFM Fox Shop dust collector.
It has a 6" duct. A guy at the store recommended to add a separator but
it must be bigger than a regular trash can or dust will be kept
airborne because of high turbulence in a small can volume and won't
settle at the bottom making separator work only for bigger heavier dust
particles and not for smaller particles which are more dangerous.
He recommended at least 55 gallon can. The problem is that I don't have
that much space available in my shop.

Does any one tried smaller cans for separator? How does it work?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex

BTW I'll be using it on 2"x72" belt grinder.

The Davenport's

I just got a 2HP, 1550 CFM Fox Shop dust collector.
It has a 6" duct. A guy at the store recommended to add a separator but
it must be bigger than a regular trash can or dust will be kept
airborne because of high turbulence in a small can volume and won't
settle at the bottom making separator work only for bigger heavier dust
particles and not for smaller particles which are more dangerous.
He recommended at least 55 gallon can. The problem is that I don't have
that much space available in my shop.

Does any one tried smaller cans for separator? How does it work?

Thanks,
Alex

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW I'll be using it on 2"x72" belt grinder.

I have that DC and it works great with a separator lid on a 30 gallon trash
can.

HOWEVER.....Please tell me that you are planning on using THIS dc for
grinding steel/metal/non-wood stuff!!! That is a good way to set your
filter bags on fire.

If it is for grinding wood, you may find that the separator doesn't do a lot
for dust....chips, yes, dust not so well.

Mike

Alex

Mostly carbon steel and some wood occasionally. I'll be cleaning up
bags before switching.

Paul

"The Davenport's" wrote in message
I just got a 2HP, 1550 CFM Fox Shop dust collector.
It has a 6" duct. A guy at the store recommended to add a separator but
it must be bigger than a regular trash can or dust will be kept
airborne because of high turbulence in a small can volume and won't
settle at the bottom making separator work only for bigger heavier dust
particles and not for smaller particles which are more dangerous.
He recommended at least 55 gallon can. The problem is that I don't have
that much space available in my shop.

Does any one tried smaller cans for separator? How does it work?

Thanks,
Alex

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW I'll be using it on 2"x72" belt grinder.

I have that DC and it works great with a separator lid on a 30 gallon

trash
can.

HOWEVER.....Please tell me that you are planning on using THIS dc for
grinding steel/metal/non-wood stuff!!! That is a good way to set your
filter bags on fire.

If it is for grinding wood, you may find that the separator doesn't do a

lot
for dust....chips, yes, dust not so well.

Mike

Has anyone tried making a home built wet dust collector? Should eliminate
setting the bags on fire. What I'm thinking is attaching the duct from the
dust collector to (through) the lid of a 30 gal. (metal) drum. Have another
duct from the sander also attached to the drum lid, but extending down
inside to about 6" from the bottom of the drum (might need a grate or screen
a few inches above it to breakup the incoming air). Fill the drum about 2/3
full of water. Would a 2hp dust collector be strong enough to pull enough
air through the water to be useful?
Paul

carl mciver

"Paul" wrote in message
.. .
SNIP

| Has anyone tried making a home built wet dust collector? Should eliminate
| setting the bags on fire. What I'm thinking is attaching the duct from the
| dust collector to (through) the lid of a 30 gal. (metal) drum. Have
another
| duct from the sander also attached to the drum lid, but extending down
| inside to about 6" from the bottom of the drum (might need a grate or
screen
| a few inches above it to breakup the incoming air). Fill the drum about
2/3
| full of water. Would a 2hp dust collector be strong enough to pull enough
| air through the water to be useful?
| Paul

Never had a Rainbow vacuum have you? Unless you emptied the tank of
muck out after every use, it would grow some **** even bacteriologists have
never seen before. I can't even begin to describe the smell.
If you fill up a device with water, you've reduced the volume of the
container by that much, and unless you have a shower effect or something
going on, the sawdust will sit on top of the water, defeating the purpose
completely. Then cleaning it out will suck beyond all belief. I think for
the effort you could stack a couple 55 gal drums or trash cans to each other
and get the increased volume that way. Install the inlet about halfway up
and such that the air swirls in the can and it'll settle out well enough.
Might also be worth having a smaller can with a prefilter for the stuff that
the first separator missed.

Paul

"carl mciver" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Paul" wrote in message
.. .
SNIP

| Has anyone tried making a home built wet dust collector? Should

eliminate
| setting the bags on fire. What I'm thinking is attaching the duct from

the
| dust collector to (through) the lid of a 30 gal. (metal) drum. Have
another
| duct from the sander also attached to the drum lid, but extending down
| inside to about 6" from the bottom of the drum (might need a grate or
screen
| a few inches above it to breakup the incoming air). Fill the drum about
2/3
| full of water. Would a 2hp dust collector be strong enough to pull

enough
| air through the water to be useful?
| Paul

Never had a Rainbow vacuum have you? Unless you emptied the tank of
muck out after every use, it would grow some **** even bacteriologists

have
never seen before. I can't even begin to describe the smell.
If you fill up a device with water, you've reduced the volume of the
container by that much, and unless you have a shower effect or something
going on, the sawdust will sit on top of the water, defeating the purpose
completely. Then cleaning it out will suck beyond all belief. I think

for
the effort you could stack a couple 55 gal drums or trash cans to each

other
and get the increased volume that way. Install the inlet about halfway up
and such that the air swirls in the can and it'll settle out well enough.
Might also be worth having a smaller can with a prefilter for the stuff

that
the first separator missed.

Carl,
As a matter of fact I do have a Rainbow vacuum, but I think there is a huge
difference between how fast things grow in 2 gallons of water in a vacuum
(sucking up who know what off your floors) and 20 gallons of water in dust
collector for a belt sander. We have a large commercially built wet dust
collector (RotoClone) at work that holds about 50 - 60 gallons water that is
hooked up to our blasting cabinet and three belt sanders. In the last three
years it has only been emptied once to clean out the metal sludge inside and
it doesn't smell at all.
I think you are missing the point about the water, it is the filter so
reducing the volume of the drum isn't an issue. The air from the sander
enters below the surface of the water and has to pass through it. The hot
sparks get cooled, greatly reducing the risk of setting the filter bags on
fire, and most of the dust gets captured by the water and sinks to the
bottom instead of going into the cloth filter bags. Cleaning will be a chore
as ferrous dust will form into a solid cake at the bottom, but it will take
years of home shop use before cleaning is really needed. If it is too much
of a hassle to clean, keep the lid, bring the drum to the landfill/recycling
center/scrap yard and get a new drum.
As for the sawdust sitting on top, the OP said he sands mostly metal so
that shouldn't be an issue. He also said he didn't have room for a 55 gal
drum.
If the OP sands a lot of light metals (like aluminum) a wet dust collector
is definitely the way to go since dry dust collectors are not recommended
because of the danger of explosions.
Paul

You can probably look at your dust collector specs. Most vacuum
systems are rated in inches of water for max vacuum and another rating
for flow at some lessor inches of water vacuum.

Dan