The Davenport's

Default dust collector and separator question

I just got a 2HP, 1550 CFM Fox Shop dust collector.
It has a 6" duct. A guy at the store recommended to add a separator but
it must be bigger than a regular trash can or dust will be kept
airborne because of high turbulence in a small can volume and won't
settle at the bottom making separator work only for bigger heavier dust
particles and not for smaller particles which are more dangerous.
He recommended at least 55 gallon can. The problem is that I don't have
that much space available in my shop.

Does any one tried smaller cans for separator? How does it work?

Thanks,
Alex

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW I'll be using it on 2"x72" belt grinder.

I have that DC and it works great with a separator lid on a 30 gallon trash
can.

HOWEVER.....Please tell me that you are planning on using THIS dc for
grinding steel/metal/non-wood stuff!!! That is a good way to set your
filter bags on fire.

If it is for grinding wood, you may find that the separator doesn't do a lot
for dust....chips, yes, dust not so well.

Mike