Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collector Question

I have a HF dust collector I have highly modified. What I did was took it
apart, threw away everything but the impeller and put a cyclone inline and
ported the dust outside the building into a catchment area.

If I were to get another HF DC and parallel the current impeller with the
one I currently have I wonder how much I would pickup in CFM? I could get
a Delta, whatever, impeller and motor and improve my CFM and static
pressure but about 30-35%. I wonder if the parallel arrangement would not
give me on the order of 60+% increase.

I currently am running 4" PVC with 4" flex drops to about 7 blast gates.
Max run is about 30 feet (including the drop). The exhaust is also 4" PVC
and its run is about 30 feet, with little or no back pressure.

Thanks

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 10:52 am, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
I have a HF dust collector I have highly modified. What I did was took it
apart, threw away everything but the impeller and put a cyclone inline and
ported the dust outside the building into a catchment area.

If I were to get another HF DC and parallel the current impeller with the
one I currently have I wonder how much I would pickup in CFM? I could get
a Delta, whatever, impeller and motor and improve my CFM and static
pressure but about 30-35%. I wonder if the parallel arrangement would not
give me on the order of 60+% increase.

I currently am running 4" PVC with 4" flex drops to about 7 blast gates.
Max run is about 30 feet (including the drop). The exhaust is also 4" PVC
and its run is about 30 feet, with little or no back pressure.

This site may help you, it has plans and info about building your own
cyclone setup. Including a link to buy a good impeller.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:52:19 -0600, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

I have a HF dust collector I have highly modified. What I did was took it
apart, threw away everything but the impeller and put a cyclone inline and
ported the dust outside the building into a catchment area.

If I were to get another HF DC and parallel the current impeller with the
one I currently have I wonder how much I would pickup in CFM? I could get
a Delta, whatever, impeller and motor and improve my CFM and static
pressure but about 30-35%. I wonder if the parallel arrangement would not
give me on the order of 60+% increase.

I currently am running 4" PVC with 4" flex drops to about 7 blast gates.
Max run is about 30 feet (including the drop). The exhaust is also 4" PVC
and its run is about 30 feet, with little or no back pressure.

Thanks

Deb

How does the impeller turn? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeller
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

I have a HF dust collector I have highly modified. What I did was took it
apart, threw away everything but the impeller and put a cyclone inline and
ported the dust outside the building into a catchment area.

If I were to get another HF DC and parallel the current impeller with the
one I currently have I wonder how much I would pickup in CFM? I could get
a Delta, whatever, impeller and motor and improve my CFM and static
pressure but about 30-35%. I wonder if the parallel arrangement would not
give me on the order of 60+% increase.

I currently am running 4" PVC with 4" flex drops to about 7 blast gates.
Max run is about 30 feet (including the drop). The exhaust is also 4" PVC
and its run is about 30 feet, with little or no back pressure.

Thanks

Deb

I wonder if increasing the size of your main run up to 5"would give you the
extra air you are looking for. I have the HF dust collector and often run
with one 4" port open, so I believe the air flow is there, but the 4" main
is choking it.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Reading this thread makes me wonder: Can I leave blast gates open? I
have a Delta DC with a cyclone, 20 foot run of flex 4" ( didn't think
about smooth pipe when I installed this) to the saw, planer, and
another 10 feet to the jointer. Opening one gate at a time seems to
work pretty well, but it seems that multiple open gates would just
reduce the suction at each machine. Am I missing something???

Thanks for any comments.

Regards,
Rich.....

On Jan 26, 2:11*pm, "Greg O" wrote:
"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

[...]

Greg- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"rich" wrote in message
Reading this thread makes me wonder: Can I leave blast gates open? I
have a Delta DC with a cyclone, 20 foot run of flex 4" ( didn't think
about smooth pipe when I installed this) to the saw, planer, and
another 10 feet to the jointer. Opening one gate at a time seems to
work pretty well, but it seems that multiple open gates would just
reduce the suction at each machine. Am I missing something???

Thanks for any comments.

Regards,
Rich.....

Depends on the layout of the pipe, and your DC. If your DC produces more air
flow than it can"suck" through one 4" blast gate opening one or two more
should not matter, until the air flow through the open blast gates catch up
with the air flow of the DC.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:36:54 -0800 (PST), rich
wrote:

Opening one gate at a time seems to
work pretty well, but it seems that multiple open gates would just
reduce the suction at each machine. Am I missing something???

You're not missing a thing.

A given blower will only move so much air across a given pressure
differential. If you split the flow between multiple sources by
opening more than one blast gate, total flow through the blower could
be greater due to a lower pressure differential. But, except for
exceptional situations, the flow at each source will be less than if
only one gate were open.

That doesn't address the question whether or not the reduced flow at
the source is still sufficient for the purpose, but in general, for
hobbyist class cyclone/dust collector installations, it will not be.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Dust Collector question TH Woodworking 7 February 10th 07 03:09 AM
dust collector hose question Chris Friesen Woodworking 1 June 5th 06 11:59 PM
dust collector and separator question Alex Metalworking 7 October 25th 05 04:33 PM
Simple Dust Collector Question Rocky Woodworking 12 October 22nd 05 01:46 AM
Dust collector question [email protected] Woodworking 15 October 20th 05 09:17 AM