Posted to rec.woodworking
rich rich is offline

Default Dust Collector Question

Reading this thread makes me wonder: Can I leave blast gates open? I
have a Delta DC with a cyclone, 20 foot run of flex 4" ( didn't think
about smooth pipe when I installed this) to the saw, planer, and
another 10 feet to the jointer. Opening one gate at a time seems to
work pretty well, but it seems that multiple open gates would just
reduce the suction at each machine. Am I missing something???

Thanks for any comments.

Regards,
Rich.....

On Jan 26, 2:11*pm, "Greg O" wrote:
"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

I have a HF dust collector I have highly modified. *What I did was took it
apart, threw away everything but the impeller and put a cyclone inline and
ported the dust outside the building into a catchment area.

If I were to get another HF DC and parallel the current impeller with the
one I currently have I wonder how much I would pickup in CFM? *I could get
a Delta, whatever, impeller and motor and improve my CFM and static
pressure but about 30-35%. *I wonder if the parallel arrangement would not
give me on the order of 60+% increase.

I currently am running 4" PVC with 4" flex drops to about 7 blast gates.
Max run is about 30 feet (including the drop). *The exhaust is also 4" PVC
and its run is about 30 feet, with little or no back pressure.

Thanks

Deb

I wonder if increasing the size of your main run up to 5"would give you the
extra air you are looking for. I have the HF dust collector and often run
with one 4" port open, so I believe the air flow is there, but the 4" main
is choking it.
Greg- Hide quoted text -