Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lawn mower to trim hedges

My question to my dad was answered:

Hi. Rick, I don't have any facts about the lawn mower story. That story
made the rounds when Consumer Product Safety Commission was making all the
rules on about every product imaginable, around 73-74. Some so called
safety rules were ridiculous or self evident, and the lawn mower story was
one used by opponents of the myriad of new rules. The thrust of the story
was, "is a rule against using a lawn mower to trim a hedge really needed?
( not that there was such a rule in the works, just an example of ridiculous
rules) The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Of course my lawnmower trims my hedges.

Now if I could just get him to do it in the afternoon instead of
starting at 07:00 on every Thursday morning.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

There may or not be any actual verification of someone losing a few fingers,
but I don't doubt that somewhere, sometime, someone has used a lawn mower to
trim hedges. It's just too easy a thing to do (attempt) for someone not to
have tried it. When you consider some of the truly idiotic actions listed on
the Darwin Awards website, hedge trimming with a lawn mower has to fall into
the very probable category.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Of course my lawnmower trims my hedges.

Now if I could just get him to do it in the afternoon instead of
starting at 07:00 on every Thursday morning.

So ask him how much he'll charge to start after lunch.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

There may or not be any actual verification of someone losing a few
fingers,
but I don't doubt that somewhere, sometime, someone has used a lawn mower
trim hedges. It's just too easy a thing to do (attempt) for someone not to
have tried it. When you consider some of the truly idiotic actions listed
on
the Darwin Awards website, hedge trimming with a lawn mower has to fall
into
the very probable category.

Maybe not, most lawn mowers are a bit too heavy to pick up and hold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 12, 9:45*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Upscale" wrote in message

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. *We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

There may or not be any actual verification of someone losing a few
fingers,
but I don't doubt that somewhere, sometime, someone has used a lawn mower
trim hedges. It's just too easy a thing to do (attempt) for someone not to
have tried it. When you consider some of the truly idiotic actions listed
on
the Darwin Awards website, hedge trimming with a lawn mower has to fall
into
the very probable category.

Maybe not, most lawn mowers are a bit too heavy to pick up and hold.

They also won't run on their side.. in most cases. Oil from the
crankcase getting slapped around by the bottom of the piston (unless
it's a two-stroke). and fuel starvation would be the most obvious
reason for it not to work. Most of those units are designed with
gravity in mind.

"Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote:

My question to my dad was answered:

Hi. Rick, I don't have any facts about the lawn mower story. That story
made the rounds when Consumer Product Safety Commission was making all the
rules on about every product imaginable, around 73-74. Some so called
safety rules were ridiculous or self evident, and the lawn mower story was
one used by opponents of the myriad of new rules. The thrust of the story
was, "is a rule against using a lawn mower to trim a hedge really needed?
( not that there was such a rule in the works, just an example of ridiculous
rules) The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

Urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/trimmer.asp

Posted to rec.woodworking

I saw a "world's strongest redneck" clip on Country Fried Videos where
he used a lawnmower to trim hedges. No fingers lost, just a short
section of hedge trimmed. (Amazing what you'll watch in the wee hours
of the morning when you're in too much pain to sleep ;-) Unless
you're strong enough to lift the mower over your head, you probably
can't hold it in position to cut much hedge...

This is in the same category as the two-man chainsaw with a V8 engine:
proof that it can be done.

This guy also picks up the corner of a car for someone to change a
flat tire - no jack needed...

John

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 05:55:29 +0300, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

My question to my dad was answered:

Hi. Rick, I don't have any facts about the lawn mower story. That story
made the rounds when Consumer Product Safety Commission was making all the
rules on about every product imaginable, around 73-74. Some so called
safety rules were ridiculous or self evident, and the lawn mower story was
one used by opponents of the myriad of new rules. The thrust of the story
was, "is a rule against using a lawn mower to trim a hedge really needed?
( not that there was such a rule in the works, just an example of ridiculous
rules) The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 12, 9:45 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Upscale" wrote in message

[...]

Electric mower maybe? Light weight, will run on its side, quiet, brave,
clean, reverent.
j4
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 12, 2:55 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Of course my lawnmower trims my hedges.

Now if I could just get him to do it in the afternoon instead of
starting at 07:00 on every Thursday morning.

Damnit, Lew.... if your gonna post something like that, a little
warning woul be good.

I need a rim shot, a cymbal crash, and a "I'll be here 'till the end
of the week!" warning.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

This is in the same category as the two-man chainsaw with a V8 engine:
proof that it can be done.

I immediately thought of that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Tamp2fHhg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

There may or not be any actual verification of someone losing a few fingers,
but I don't doubt that somewhere, sometime, someone has used a lawn mower to
trim hedges. It's just too easy a thing to do (attempt) for someone not to
have tried it. When you consider some of the truly idiotic actions listed on
the Darwin Awards website, hedge trimming with a lawn mower has to fall into
the very probable category.

Snopes lists it as an unverifiable legend:

http://www.snopes.com/legal/trimmer.asp

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 12, 12:38 pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
wrote

This is in the same category as the two-man chainsaw with a V8 engine:
proof that it can be done.

I immediately thought of that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Tamp2fHhg

I've been on one end of a two-man factory built chainsaw.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:45:54 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

There may or not be any actual verification of someone losing a few
fingers,
but I don't doubt that somewhere, sometime, someone has used a lawn mower
trim hedges. It's just too easy a thing to do (attempt) for someone not to
have tried it. When you consider some of the truly idiotic actions listed
on
the Darwin Awards website, hedge trimming with a lawn mower has to fall
into
the very probable category.

Maybe not, most lawn mowers are a bit too heavy to pick up and hold.

Build a scaffold down each side of the hedge and "run it on rails"
Good way to get the top smooth and even?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 11, 10:55 pm, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:
My question to my dad was answered:

Hi. Rick, I don't have any facts about the lawn mower story. That story
made the rounds when Consumer Product Safety Commission was making all the
rules on about every product imaginable, around 73-74. Some so called
safety rules were ridiculous or self evident, and the lawn mower story was
one used by opponents of the myriad of new rules. The thrust of the story
was, "is a rule against using a lawn mower to trim a hedge really needed?
( not that there was such a rule in the works, just an example of ridiculous
rules) The story was supposed to be actually true, that a guy used his
mower to trim his hedges and lost a couple fingers. We never had any
verification of the story, since it wasn't our bailiwick.

Hedges, no, zombies, yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSVDmIO9H8k

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 12, 8:27*pm, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:45:54 -0500, "Leon"

wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

..or this could work..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbKSgm3l9mE
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 8:27 pm, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:45:54 -0500, "Leon"

wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Those RC Helicopters look pretty darn dangerous. Like they could easily
injure someone fatally with that blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:27:42 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
canada wrote:

Maybe not, most lawn mowers are a bit too heavy to pick up and hold.

Build a scaffold down each side of the hedge and "run it on rails"
Good way to get the top smooth and even?

I remember seeing that very thing in a Popular Science or something
like that back in the late 60's. Probably one of those "Wordless
Workshop" ideas.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Does that mean you've seen Jesus? Is He still working in the San Diego area?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Subject

Of course my lawnmower trims my hedges.

Now if I could just get him to do it in the afternoon instead of
starting at 07:00 on every Thursday morning.

Lew

Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 01:27 PM
Getting lawn mower going again... Lot-O-Fun Home Repair 13 March 29th 07 05:54 AM
Lawn Mower Ed UK diy 4 February 19th 07 12:05 PM
lawn mower Charlie Brown Home Repair 3 October 25th 05 02:41 AM
Lawn Mower harry manka Home Repair 9 September 29th 04 03:30 PM