Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hand Saw Sharpening Inquiry

Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise? I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

Philly

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 1:01*pm, "Philly" wrote:
Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? *If so, what do you do for a saw vise? *I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

Philly

I use a bench vise with hardwood attached to the jaws.
I have saw filing machines but they do not do as well as hand filing.
Bevel or rabbet the wood so it clamps tightest just below the saw
teeth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Philly" wrote in

Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and
rip hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise? I am interested
in an old Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the
rec has run in to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

Philly

I simply clamped mine to the table with a quick grip clamp. As I got
further down from where it was clamped, I moved the clamp. Easy, and I
already had all the parts. ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use two boards to clamp the saw in the vise, with the tops of the
boards just a tad higher than the bottom of the teeth. When I file
the teeth, it leaves a score mark in the boards. The score marks keep
track of what teeth have been sharpened, so you don't miss one, or do
one twice, or do the wrong tooth. It's also easy to keep the filing
parallel as you go by keeping the score marks parallel. When you do
the other teeth, the score marks are easy to see because they are at
an angle to the first set of teeth.

First path looks like this: / / / / / / ... marks for every other
tooth.

2nd path looks like this: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\... easy to see none were
missed.

Hope this helps.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 10:01 am, "Philly" wrote:
Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise? I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

Philly

Patrick Leach often has them:

http://www.supertool.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 1:01 pm, "Philly" wrote:
Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise? I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

I use a saw vise, but the local expert, now retired, mostly used a
wooden
clamp he made himself.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 1:04*pm, Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:01 pm, "Philly" wrote:

Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? *If so, what do you do for a saw vise? *I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

I use a saw vise, but the local expert, now retired, mostly used a
wooden
clamp he made himself.

--

FF

Yeah most vises won't accommodate the handle without removing it and
the pro's have stuff coming in with buggered screws so they use wood
and taper the ends to get those teeth near the handle done too.

Been full time at sharpening for over 20 yrs, just starting to get the
hang of it
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 06:42:09 -0700 (PDT), rich
wrote:

I use two boards to clamp the saw in the vise, with the tops of the
boards just a tad higher than the bottom of the teeth. When I file
the teeth, it leaves a score mark in the boards. The score marks keep
track of what teeth have been sharpened, so you don't miss one, or do
one twice, or do the wrong tooth. It's also easy to keep the filing
parallel as you go by keeping the score marks parallel. When you do
the other teeth, the score marks are easy to see because they are at
an angle to the first set of teeth.

First path looks like this: / / / / / / ... marks for every other
tooth.

2nd path looks like this: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\... easy to see none were
missed.

Hope this helps.....

Slick idea. Although I have to admit that I hope I never sharpen
another saw by hand. That's another one of those tasks that I think
I'd rather pay someone else to do any more.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On

Tim, I generally agree with you, but I have taken some old saws and
even bad sharpening by me gives me a sharp saw that actually cuts! I
found a small back saw, possibly called a Gentleman's Saw, that no
professional shop would sharpen - too small I guess. The small saw
was really cool, so I did it myself, and it's now the saw of choice
for dovetails and just about anything smaller than a 2x4! I now look
at saw sharpening the same way I do plane blades, or chisels. Or
mowing the lawn. You get a better job, or almost as good, and there
is no waiting or cost.

Rgds.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Douglass wrote in
:

Slick idea. Although I have to admit that I hope I never sharpen
another saw by hand. That's another one of those tasks that I think
I'd rather pay someone else to do any more.

Tim Douglass

It's definitely a "zen" thing. Put on some music, find a nice comfy shop
chair, and start sharpening. 4 or 5 teeth later, think about how peaceful
it is in your shop and keep going.

Puckdropper
--
My gloat: I have a sharp saw, and I did it myself!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Aug, 18:01, "Philly" wrote:
Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? *

Plywood extension jaws in a bench vice. Make up several sets, one for
each range of saw size you're working on. A hinge at the bottom makes
them much easier to work with, as does a depth-stop strip on the
outside to control the height they sit in the vice.

I used to have a Disston saw vise, but it took up bench space, was
rarely used, and wasn't big enough for my big felling saws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Philly wrote:

Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise?

I picked up a saw vise for $10 a few months ago from he

http://www.dowdstools.com/

This is a small operation and its best to just give them a call and ask
about what you're looking for. I don't think the web site is updated all
that often and it's not really set-up for online commerce.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I use a Black & Decker Workmate workbench/vise combination. The "jaws"
or halves of the worktop are about 30" long. There are probably better
solutions, but I already had it. It is a little difficult to get the saw
low enough in the jaws to stay stable, while leaving enough clearance
for the file handle and fingers.

Mine is an older model with the worktop make of 1" plywood, I think the
newer ones have 3/4" MDF for the top.

Spott

Philly wrote:
Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise? I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

Philly

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 17:01:17 GMT, "Philly"
wrote:

Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise? I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

Philly

I posted a pix of the clamp I use on ABPW.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise? I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

I just shaped a couple lengths of 1x4, put the whole sandwich in the
bench vise. Yeah, a little fussy because it's not hinged but as rarely
as it's needed not so big a deal.

--
"Keep your ass behind you."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 2, 1:01 pm, "Philly" wrote:

Does anyone on the rec do there own sharpening of large crosscut and rip
hand saws? If so, what do you do for a saw vise? I am interested in an old
Disston #3 saw vise and would like to know if anyone on the rec has run in
to anybody looking to sell one at a good price.

I use a saw vise, but the local expert, now retired, mostly used a
wooden
clamp he made himself.

Yeah most vises won't accommodate the handle without removing it and
the pro's have stuff coming in with buggered screws so they use wood
and taper the ends to get those teeth near the handle done too.

I'm puzzeled as to how the tote interferes with the vise. On every
saw vise I have seen it would just hang off the end. The part near
the tote would be cantelevered, but not so far as to cause a problem.

If there is a lot of depth left on the blade, that isn't even the case
as
illustrated near the bottom of this page:

http://www.calast.com/personal/ken/handsaws.htm

Been full time at sharpening for over 20 yrs, just starting to get the
hang of it

Obviously you know what you're doing and what we have here is
a failure of my imagination. I've only sharpened two or three saws.

--

FF