Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Strength of Glue - Inquiry

Hello and greetings to the group. (My apology if this posts twice, I am
having trouble with the server.)

I am embarking on a project and I have a question about glue. I believe
I already know the answer, but wanted to confirm.

Is there any reason that two boards glued face-to-face with tradional
yellow glue would not provide a strong enough and permanent bond for a
vertical load bearing member of a bed?

I am using air dried walnut from central Indiana to build a bunk bed
such as this one http://plansnow.com/bunkcloser.html

The plans specify using boards 1 and 1/16 thick but I can only get about
3/4" thick after I plane them. With that in mind, my intent is to glue
two pieces together to yield a 1.5" board and then plane that down as
needed.

Is this sufficient for a 20 to 50 year span and beyond? Should I
consider any different adhesive?

For the horizontal rails, there are a few thicker boards available.

Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ryan wrote:
Hello and greetings to the group. (My apology if this posts twice,
I am having trouble with the server.)

I am embarking on a project and I have a question about glue. I
believe I already know the answer, but wanted to confirm.

Is there any reason that two boards glued face-to-face with
tradional yellow glue would not provide a strong enough and
permanent bond for a vertical load bearing member of a bed?

I am using air dried walnut from central Indiana to build a bunk bed
such as this one http://plansnow.com/bunkcloser.html

The plans specify using boards 1 and 1/16 thick but I can only get
about 3/4" thick after I plane them. With that in mind, my intent
is to glue two pieces together to yield a 1.5" board and then plane
that down as needed.

Is this sufficient for a 20 to 50 year span and beyond? Should I
consider any different adhesive?

Yellow glue is fine. Easier to buy 6/4 or (maybe) 5/4 stock than to
dress and glue up thinner pieces though.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 08:11:38 -0400, Ryan
wrote:

[...]

The laminated result would probably be stronger, or less resistant to
bow then the solid board.

If your design can accomodate it, you might consider just
gluing/screwing a short flange on the underside of the 3/4" board at
each side creating a channel shape. Would cut down the weight and be
just as resistant to compressive loads.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Ryan,
Fine Woodworking- August 2007 had an excellent article on glue strength.
Even comparing to all the high tech adhesives, plain old wood glue won in
almost all categories. You should be in fine shape following your current
plan.
"Ryan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ryan wrote:

snip

Is there any reason that two boards glued face-to-face with tradional
yellow glue would not provide a strong enough and permanent bond for a
vertical load bearing member of a bed?

Thank you all for the excellent replies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ryan" wrote in message
m...
Ryan wrote:

snip

Is there any reason that two boards glued face-to-face with tradional
yellow glue would not provide a strong enough and permanent bond for a
vertical load bearing member of a bed?

Not if its done properly. But those face had better be pretty darn flat,
and the clamping has to be adequate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes. It is common practice to glue up 1" thick boards for furniture
legs. The glued-up legs are actually stronger and more stable than
one from a solid piece. Make there are no gaps (without any
pressure) between the glued up boards. If you can spare the time,
allow an extra day for the glue to cure before working it.