bremen68

Default Hand Plane Sharpening or toss it......

I have an small Stanley "starter" plane that I've been tinkering with
and trying to get a little feel for how to and so forth.

While working on a project I foolishly didn't recheck what the guy
helping me said was clear wood......Lesson #1 Only believe half of what
you see and nothing that you hear......I took my second pass and caught
a set of staples that put a lovely set of notches in the
blade.........Lesson #2 Planning staples is a bad thing..........

Is there any hope of salvaging the blade or should I just chalk it up
and get another one? The notches are probably are small but leave
wonderful little railroad tracks when the plane is used now.

Also any advice on some decent basic hand planes to start out with.
This one was a gift a while back..........

Thanks in advance for the help and advice...

Leon

Owning hand tools is all about keeping them sharp and maintained. Getting
nicks goes with the territory. You should pick up some books at the
library, go ahead and learn how to take out nicks, flatten the backs and add
micro bevels to the cutting edges. The iron you are talking about now will
be a great one to practice on. After you learn the process replace the
blade if you want. And remember, about 90% of all new planes and chisels
need to be sharpened before you use them.

Also, I have always thought of "clear " wood as wood with out defects or
knots.

"bremen68" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an small Stanley "starter" plane that I've been tinkering with
and trying to get a little feel for how to and so forth.

While working on a project I foolishly didn't recheck what the guy
helping me said was clear wood......Lesson #1 Only believe half of what
you see and nothing that you hear......I took my second pass and caught
a set of staples that put a lovely set of notches in the
blade.........Lesson #2 Planning staples is a bad thing..........

Is there any hope of salvaging the blade or should I just chalk it up
and get another one? The notches are probably are small but leave
wonderful little railroad tracks when the plane is used now.

Also any advice on some decent basic hand planes to start out with.
This one was a gift a while back..........

Thanks in advance for the help and advice...

Lawrence Wasserman

In article .com,
bremen68 wrote:
I have an small Stanley "starter" plane that I've been tinkering with
and trying to get a little feel for how to and so forth.

While working on a project I foolishly didn't recheck what the guy
helping me said was clear wood......Lesson #1 Only believe half of what
you see and nothing that you hear......I took my second pass and caught
a set of staples that put a lovely set of notches in the
blade.........Lesson #2 Planning staples is a bad thing..........

Is there any hope of salvaging the blade or should I just chalk it up
and get another one? The notches are probably are small but leave
wonderful little railroad tracks when the plane is used now.

Also any advice on some decent basic hand planes to start out with.
This one was a gift a while back..........

Thanks in advance for the help and advice...

Just grind the notches out and resharpen the blade. Take care not to
overheat the blade when grinding.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Bill D

Yep, Think you should throw it away in my direction.

Patriarch

"bremen68" wrote in
oups.com:

I have an small Stanley "starter" plane that I've been tinkering with
and trying to get a little feel for how to and so forth.

While working on a project I foolishly didn't recheck what the guy
helping me said was clear wood......Lesson #1 Only believe half of

what
you see and nothing that you hear......I took my second pass and

caught
a set of staples that put a lovely set of notches in the
blade.........Lesson #2 Planning staples is a bad thing..........

Is there any hope of salvaging the blade or should I just chalk it up
and get another one? The notches are probably are small but leave
wonderful little railroad tracks when the plane is used now.

Also any advice on some decent basic hand planes to start out with.
This one was a gift a while back..........

Thanks in advance for the help and advice...

3 minutes with some 320 grit wet & dry sandpaper will remove those
nicks. Another 5 minutes work, and you're ready to go again.

Google "scary sharp" in rec.woodworking archives. Have a good read.

Then google "starter handplanes" or similar in the same archives.

Then go look at Lee Valley's site, at the apron plane, and the
adjustable mouth block plane. Go visit Lie Nielsen, and read up on
their block planes.

Then grab you hat and wallet for the ride down the slippery slope.

An informed addict is still an addict. ;-)

Patriarch,
new owner of a sweet, newly arrived, Steve Knight microsmoother in
cocobolo & ebony, with the new Hotley style brass cap. (micro gloat)

AAvK

umm... time to fully sharpen the blade... low grit 'til those nicks are
gone, then to the higher grits to the finest.

Do you know anything about sharpening?

But keep the blade, and do that I suggest. Blades cost money.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

Patriarch,
new owner of a sweet, newly arrived, Steve Knight microsmoother in
cocobolo & ebony, with the new Hotley style brass cap. (micro gloat)

u-huh... and you sssssssssssssssssssssuck!!

congrats on that, does it work like a dream?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Patriarch

"AAvK" wrote in news:einwe.10267$ro.2058@fed1read02:

Patriarch,
new owner of a sweet, newly arrived, Steve Knight microsmoother in
cocobolo & ebony, with the new Hotley style brass cap. (micro gloat)

u-huh... and you sssssssssssssssssssssuck!!

congrats on that, does it work like a dream?

It got here 36 hours ago, and I've been really busy. But it looks tres
cool!

Patriarch
Tom Banes

Then go look at Lee Valley's site, at the apron plane, and the
adjustable mouth block plane. Go visit Lie Nielsen, and read up on
their block planes.

Then grab you hat and wallet for the ride down the slippery slope.

An informed addict is still an addict. ;-)

Patriarch,
new owner of a sweet, newly arrived, Steve Knight microsmoother in
cocobolo & ebony, with the new Hotley style brass cap. (micro gloat)

Patriarch, you are WAD the clearest, honestest (is that a word!)
wrecker I've read!

6 weeks ago I had one 25 year old "Companion" plane (Sears cheap
stuff, not even a Cra(ft)sMan that I had never touched with a stone,
much less a file. I now am the proud owner of 7 planes, all off EBay,
including a couple of LNs. TLOML is convinced I'm nuts, my wallet is
short a buck or two, and a tuned old Stanley makes really neat curlies
on a cherry board. Try to explain that to SWMBO. The slope is greased
with honing oil.

I just read the Handplane book by Garrett Hack (Rockler store had a
clearance at 14.95) and I now begin to understand that I am not alone
in having a Problem.

Such is life heading into retirement.

Regards.

Tom

Adding traditional message to sig -

Venatus sum itaque dicet mendacium
Patriarch

Tom Banes wrote in
:

snip

6 weeks ago I had one 25 year old "Companion" plane (Sears cheap
stuff, not even a Cra(ft)sMan that I had never touched with a stone,
much less a file. I now am the proud owner of 7 planes, all off EBay,
including a couple of LNs. TLOML is convinced I'm nuts, my wallet is
short a buck or two, and a tuned old Stanley makes really neat curlies
on a cherry board. Try to explain that to SWMBO. The slope is greased
with honing oil.

I just read the Handplane book by Garrett Hack (Rockler store had a
clearance at 14.95) and I now begin to understand that I am not alone
in having a Problem.

The first step is understanding that you have a problem... ;-)

For grins, you may wish to google the wReck archives on variations of the
phrase "van by the river".

Adding traditional message to sig -

Venatus sum itaque dicet mendacium

?

Patriarch

Tom Banes

Venatus sum itaque dicet mendacium

?

Patriarch

"I am a hunter, therefore I tell lies"

Drill Bit Sharpening Tina Woodworking 43 March 20th 05 02:58 AM
Problems sharpening chisels Richard Sterry UK diy 57 May 12th 04 11:21 AM
Help with sharpening router / shaper bits... loutent Woodworking 5 April 15th 04 04:14 PM
Review: "Woodturning: Fundamentals of Sharpening" Terry Poperszky Woodturning 1 December 22nd 03 03:44 AM