Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Baseball bats

So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists. I am not a
woodworker so I can not judge the problems with drilling a very small
hole in the center of the bat (or the piece of wood that would be
turned into the bat) down the lenght of the bat. If this could be
done, a polymer fiber (nylon, polycarbonate, etc.) placed in this hole
would hold all the pieces of a broken bat together and prevent most of
the injuries.

Any technical woodworking problems in doing this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:45:47 -0700 (PDT), p4o2 wrote:

So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists. I am not a
woodworker so I can not judge the problems with drilling a very small
hole in the center of the bat (or the piece of wood that would be
turned into the bat) down the lenght of the bat. If this could be
done, a polymer fiber (nylon, polycarbonate, etc.) placed in this hole
would hold all the pieces of a broken bat together and prevent most of
the injuries.

Any technical woodworking problems in doing this?

It is difficult to drill a deep hole into long stock, since there is
nothing to keep it on-center as it drills. An off-center hole would
make an unbalanced bat. Similar to a hole for a lamp, I'd cut the
stock in half, make a groove, glue the halves back together, then turn
the piece.
Posted to rec.woodworking
ron ron is offline

I can't say for sure but it seem like the MLB would frown on this practice.
Sounds an awful lot like corking a bat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

p4o2 wrote:
So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists. I am not a
woodworker so I can not judge the problems with drilling a very small
hole in the center of the bat (or the piece of wood that would be
turned into the bat) down the lenght of the bat. If this could be
done, a polymer fiber (nylon, polycarbonate, etc.) placed in this hole
would hold all the pieces of a broken bat together and prevent most of
the injuries.

Any technical woodworking problems in doing this?

I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't want to be the guy holding the
bat when it breaks.

Take few sections of 2x2 and join them end to end with 1/4" rope. Now
swing it. (Don't forget to wear your helmet and pads -- you'll need them.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"p4o2" wrote in message
So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists. I am not a
woodworker so I can not judge the problems with drilling a very small
hole in the center of the bat (or the piece of wood that would be
turned into the bat) down the lenght of the bat. If this could be
done, a polymer fiber (nylon, polycarbonate, etc.) placed in this hole
would hold all the pieces of a broken bat together and prevent most of
the injuries.

Any technical woodworking problems in doing this?

Heard the announcers on a radio game discussing this issue the other day.
They were of the opinion that it was because of the type of wood now being
used. Hickory is in short supply, Ash is discouraged because of the danger
of spreading the Ash Borer with the transport of the Ash from source to
manufacturer. I believe they said that many of the bats are now being made
of Maple, which is breaking easier.

Tom G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ron" wrote in
:

I can't say for sure but it seem like the MLB would frown on this
practice. Sounds an awful lot like corking a bat.

If the bat's not one piece all the way down, how can you know what's inside
it without taking it apart? You can X-ray it, but that would only show
there's something in the bat... but not if there's anything illegal.

One suggestion I have would be to put a small band (made of a plastic or
vinyl?) around the bat near its midpoint, at the place where there's
usually a band drawn on the bat anyway. Should the bat split, the band
would slow or stop the transfer of force and perhaps the bat would stay
together better.

Anyone want to give me $500,000 to do some research?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can drive a golf ball over 300 yds. Who can't right. So I went into a
golf shop that had a net and speed/distance radar device. I thought if I
could get a a titanium head on a stiff shaft it might be even lighter and
further better. I took one swing with their $600 driver....and left the
store in one piece with all my money.

"p4o2" wrote in message
So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists. I am not a
woodworker so I can not judge the problems with drilling a very small
hole in the center of the bat (or the piece of wood that would be
turned into the bat) down the lenght of the bat. If this could be
done, a polymer fiber (nylon, polycarbonate, etc.) placed in this hole
would hold all the pieces of a broken bat together and prevent most of
the injuries.

Any technical woodworking problems in doing this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 6, 12:17*pm, Mike Paulsen wrote:
p4o2 wrote:
So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists. I am not a
woodworker so I can not judge the problems with drilling a very small
hole in the center of the bat (or the piece of wood that would be
turned into the bat) down the lenght of the bat. If this could be
done, a polymer fiber (nylon, polycarbonate, etc.) placed in this hole
would hold all the pieces of a broken bat together and prevent most of
the injuries.

Any technical woodworking problems in doing this?

I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't want to be the guy holding the
bat when it breaks.

Take few sections of 2x2 and join them end to end with 1/4" rope. Now
swing it. (Don't forget to wear your helmet and pads -- you'll need them.)

That sounds ok to me. The batter should be the one in danger not some
kid in the stands. I do not think a strand of something like fishing
line would be much of a "cork" (but I do not know, it would be easy to
test for an effect)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:45:47 -0700 (PDT), p4o2 wrote:

So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists.

The simple solution is already used by little leagues and colleges.
Aluminum. I've seen them dented but I've never seen one break.

Besides if they get all of the steroids and HGH out of baseball (not
likely), MLB is going to need to find a way to get all the scrawny 180
pound ball players to hit the ball out of the park.

That loud PING is not quite the same though.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike O. wrote in
:

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:45:47 -0700 (PDT), p4o2 wrote:

So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists.

The simple solution is already used by little leagues and colleges.
Aluminum. I've seen them dented but I've never seen one break.

Besides if they get all of the steroids and HGH out of baseball (not
likely), MLB is going to need to find a way to get all the scrawny 180
pound ball players to hit the ball out of the park.

That loud PING is not quite the same though.

Mike O.

The problem with Al is that of line drives. Since more energy is
transfered, a line drive may well break bones or kill someone. That's
one reason why they're not allowed in MLB.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Mike O. wrote in
:

wrote:

So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of
broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists.

The simple solution is already used by little leagues and colleges.
Aluminum. I've seen them dented but I've never seen one break.

Besides if they get all of the steroids and HGH out of baseball
(not
likely), MLB is going to need to find a way to get all the scrawny
180 pound ball players to hit the ball out of the park.

That loud PING is not quite the same though.

Mike O.

The problem with Al is that of line drives. Since more energy is
transfered, a line drive may well break bones or kill someone.
That's
one reason why they're not allowed in MLB.

So a twenty percent difference in energy is going to make the
difference between no injury and broken bones or death? Might
interest you to know that in the past ten years 2/3 of the people who
have died from being struck by a batted ball were struck by balls hit
from a _wooden_ bat.

NCAA changed the rules a long time ago to limit the ball speed coming
out of an aluminum bat.

This whole aluminum bat controversy is something that grandstanding
politicians use to appear to be Doing Something and has no real
relation to safety. Of course there's a "ban aluminum bats" movement,
but take _anything_ and there's some bunch of loons who think it
should be banned.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"p4o2" wrote in message
So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists. I am not a
woodworker so I can not judge the problems with drilling a very small
hole in the center of the bat (or the piece of wood that would be
turned into the bat) down the lenght of the bat. If this could be
done, a polymer fiber (nylon, polycarbonate, etc.) placed in this hole
would hold all the pieces of a broken bat together and prevent most of
the injuries.

Any technical woodworking problems in doing this?

And then add hand cuffs to the bat so that the batter cannot accidentally
let go of the bat and let it fly in an unintended direction.
Life is full of surprises, you make life boring by trying to fix everything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The increased use of Maple bats is seen as the root cause of the
significant increase in broken bats.

This is due in no small part to a new pest beetle [emerald ash borer]
killing Ash trees (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?
storyId=92222323 "Maple, Ash Baseball Bats May Strike Out"). Talk of
the Nation Science Friday.

"The problem is that when maple bats break, they shatter dangerously,
sending shards of wood flying."

While we might well come up with a solution, it turns out that Major
League Baseball includes a rule requiring a "solid wood" bat.

The maker of Louisville Slugger bats talks about the history of the
Maple bat (from Late 90's/Barry Bonds) as well as their efforts to
think of a solution to the splitting problems. performance issues
(Maple stays harder/smoother longer than Ash).

From what I heard these experts saying, it is unlikely that we are
going to come up with a solution they haven't thought of and studied.

If you have an opportunity, listen to teh show and learn a little
about the differences between the two species and the reasons the
"fixes" that work won't pass current MLBB muster - they want thicker
handles.

Enjoy

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

J. Clarke wrote:

interest you to know that in the past ten years 2/3 of the people who
have died from being struck by a batted ball were struck by balls hit
from a _wooden_ bat.

That's a result of the population from which the statistics are derived
as opposed to saying anything about differences between aluminum vis a
vis wood bats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

interest you to know that in the past ten years 2/3 of the people
who
have died from being struck by a batted ball were struck by balls
hit
from a _wooden_ bat.

That's a result of the population from which the statistics are
derived as opposed to saying anything about differences between
aluminum vis a vis wood bats.

And what's the difference between the "populations"? No reputable
study has shown a statistically significant difference in injury rates
between aluminum and wooden bats, and the studies that show a
difference in ball speed (which is at best ten percent) are based on
older bat designs before the rules requiring that bats be tested to
deliver approximately the same ball speed as wood were implemented.

By the way, since 1982 there have been 15 "catastrophic injuries"
among high school and college players, out of 9.5 million
participants. That includes both aluminum and wooden bats. You're
far more likely to die in an automobile accident on the way to or from
the game than to die from being hit with a baseball struck by an
aluminum bat.

But twits like you just _have_ to "fix" nonexistent problems by
outlawing things.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

J. Clarke wrote:
dpb wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

Not I...I'm all for wooden bats simply for them being tradition but
nowhere did I say anything whatsoever that could be construed as saying
aluminum bats should be outlawed.

Engineering studies aside, there's no question in my mind there's a
significant difference in the game between using wood and metal--all one
has to do is watch the summer wood-league bats and how the college
players who are using them for the first time in competitive play cope.

Many of the recent incidents I can recall aren't actually
players/coaches but fans in stands.

The "population difference" in my thinking has to do w/ several things--

1. Age of players (professional vs college/high school/youth)
2. Skill of players (highly segregated by time get past high school)
3. Relative numbers in various categories
4. Numbers of individuals in spectator categories of the various other
categories which changes at-risk population in biased manner.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
Not I...I'm all for wooden bats simply for them being tradition but
nowhere did I say anything whatsoever that could be construed as saying
aluminum bats should be outlawed.

In interests of full disclosure...

I actually do think metal bats should be illegal at the college and
higher levels, not owing to the safety issue but because I'm a
traditionalist(*). The action, of course, should be taken as part of
the rules of the game, not as any legislative action.

(*) There should be no such abomination as a "designated hitter",
either, of course...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Similar to a hole for a lamp, I'd cut the
stock in half, make a groove, glue the halves back together, then turn
the piece.

The rules explicitly prohibit "composite" bats of any kind. They must
be made out of one piece of solid wood.

Although, I did see one company known for making hard maple bats
offering composite bamboo bats. Still, not legal in the Bigs.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx writes:
Similar to a hole for a lamp, I'd cut the
stock in half, make a groove, glue the halves back together, then turn
the piece.

The rules explicitly prohibit "composite" bats of any kind. They must
be made out of one piece of solid wood.

Although, I did see one company known for making hard maple bats
offering composite bamboo bats. Still, not legal in the Bigs.

Oddly enough, the rules for USSSA softball used to allow "three-sided" bats,
not that I've ever seen one.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

So a twenty percent difference in energy is going to make the
difference between no injury and broken bones or death? Might
interest you to know that in the past ten years 2/3 of the people who
have died from being struck by a batted ball were struck by balls hit
from a _wooden_ bat.

With out a ratio of aluminum to wooden bats involved in the 2 out of 3
deaths being caused by wooden bats, one cannot draw any kind of conclusion.
It could mean that aluminum bats are way more dangerous if 1/10 of the
bats being used in the study were aluminum. Or it could mean that wooden
bats are more dangerous if 1/10 of the bats were wooden.

IF the amount of wooden bats were exactly double that of aluminum they would
both be equally dangerous. If the number of aluminum bats being used were
more than half the number of wooden bats bats then the aluminum bats would
be more dangerous.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
Puckdropper wrote:
Mike O. wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Yes. It's not just the energy but the pitcher's reaction time. A
fastball off the bat would hit the pitcher before he could possibly
defend himself. Pitchers are expensive.

NCAA changed the rules a long time ago to limit the ball speed coming
out of an aluminum bat.

The 55MPH speed limit was abolished years ago. ;-)

This whole aluminum bat controversy is something that grandstanding
politicians use to appear to be Doing Something and has no real
relation to safety. Of course there's a "ban aluminum bats" movement,
but take _anything_ and there's some bunch of loons who think it
should be banned.

You're nutz. Politicians have nothing to do (drugs being the
obvious exception) with MLB rules.

--
Keith
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Puckdropper wrote:
Mike O. wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Uh huh. Ten percent makes the difference between reacting and not
reacting? If the margin is that close then they need to increase the
distance to the plate.

NCAA changed the rules a long time ago to limit the ball speed
coming
out of an aluminum bat.

The 55MPH speed limit was abolished years ago. ;-)

Traffic laws have zip all to do with bat design.

This whole aluminum bat controversy is something that grandstanding
politicians use to appear to be Doing Something and has no real
relation to safety. Of course there's a "ban aluminum bats"
movement, but take _anything_ and there's some bunch of loons who
think it should be banned.

You're nutz. Politicians have nothing to do (drugs being the
obvious exception) with MLB rules.

No, they have to do with the laws in several states that prohibit the
use of aluminum bats.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

"ron" wrote in message
I can't say for sure but it seem like the MLB would frown on this practice.
Sounds an awful lot like corking a bat.

I believe you are right!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
krw wrote:
In article ,

says...
Puckdropper wrote:
Mike O. wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Apparently. Changing the distance to the pitchers mound changes the
entire game.

NCAA changed the rules a long time ago to limit the ball speed
coming
out of an aluminum bat.

The 55MPH speed limit was abolished years ago. ;-)

Traffic laws have zip all to do with bat design.

Whoosh!

This whole aluminum bat controversy is something that grandstanding
politicians use to appear to be Doing Something and has no real
relation to safety. Of course there's a "ban aluminum bats"
movement, but take _anything_ and there's some bunch of loons who
think it should be banned.

You're nutz. Politicians have nothing to do (drugs being the
obvious exception) with MLB rules.

No, they have to do with the laws in several states that prohibit the
use of aluminum bats.

Ok, you now owe us a citation that shows "several states" that have
banned aluminum bats from MLB (or any other) games.

--
Keith
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
krw wrote:
In article ,

says...
Puckdropper wrote:
Mike O. wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Yep, but if it only saves one life . . .

NCAA changed the rules a long time ago to limit the ball speed
coming
out of an aluminum bat.

The 55MPH speed limit was abolished years ago. ;-)

Traffic laws have zip all to do with bat design.

Whoosh!

Huh? I really don't know what point you think you were making. Are
you suggesing that the rules concerning the performance of bats have
been rescinded? If so you might want to inform the NCAA as they seem
to be unaware of doing so.

This whole aluminum bat controversy is something that
grandstanding
politicians use to appear to be Doing Something and has no real
relation to safety. Of course there's a "ban aluminum bats"
movement, but take _anything_ and there's some bunch of loons who
think it should be banned.

You're nutz. Politicians have nothing to do (drugs being the
obvious exception) with MLB rules.

No, they have to do with the laws in several states that prohibit
the
use of aluminum bats.

Ok, you now owe us a citation that shows "several states" that have
banned aluminum bats from MLB (or any other) games.

So far the only one that has passed was NYC, but several states have
legislation in progress.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
krw wrote:
In article ,

says...
krw wrote:
In article ,

says...
Puckdropper wrote:
Mike O. wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

So does keeping the wood bat. Aluminum changes the whole game.
It's a much faster bat so imparts more energy to the ball.

NCAA changed the rules a long time ago to limit the ball speed
coming
out of an aluminum bat.

The 55MPH speed limit was abolished years ago. ;-)

Traffic laws have zip all to do with bat design.

Whoosh!

Huh? I really don't know what point you think you were making. Are
you suggesing that the rules concerning the performance of bats have
been rescinded? If so you might want to inform the NCAA as they seem
to be unaware of doing so.

Never mind. ...not worth 'splainin'.

This whole aluminum bat controversy is something that
grandstanding
politicians use to appear to be Doing Something and has no real
relation to safety. Of course there's a "ban aluminum bats"
movement, but take _anything_ and there's some bunch of loons who
think it should be banned.

You're nutz. Politicians have nothing to do (drugs being the
obvious exception) with MLB rules.

No, they have to do with the laws in several states that prohibit
the
use of aluminum bats.

Ok, you now owe us a citation that shows "several states" that have
banned aluminum bats from MLB (or any other) games.

So far the only one that has passed was NYC, but several states have
legislation in progress.

Cite.

--
Keith
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

krw wrote:

Cite.

Give it a rest--google for it if you really don't know and want to...

OTOMH, I know at least ND has legislation pending, several states have
various measures in place for high schools being required (mostly by
their state HS athletic associations as opposed to actual legislation.

I'm not sure the actual status in NYC -- Bloomberg was going to veto it,
but the initial passage was by a large enough margin to override. Where
it stands in the process, though, I've not followed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

J. Clarke wrote:
So a twenty percent difference in energy is going to make the
difference between no injury and broken bones or death? ...

Recall, however, that KE ~ V^2 so a 20% in energy translates into over
40% higher velocity. That much difference would make a _big_ difference
in reaction time for evasion/self-defense...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
J. Clarke wrote:
So a twenty percent difference in energy is going to make the difference between no injury and
broken bones or death? ...

Recall, however, that KE ~ V^2 so a 20% in energy translates into over 40% higher velocity. That
much difference would make a _big_ difference in reaction time for evasion/self-defense...

I think that you need to check your math.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dan Coby wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
J. Clarke wrote:
So a twenty percent difference in energy is going to make the difference between no injury and
broken bones or death? ...

Recall, however, that KE ~ V^2 so a 20% in energy translates into over 40% higher velocity. That
much difference would make a _big_ difference in reaction time for evasion/self-defense...

I think that you need to check your math.

Yeah, brain cramp there, for sure...shoulda' known no chance nobody
woulda' noticed before I got back to note the gaff...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 7, 11:10*pm, krw wrote:
In article ,
says...

krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Puckdropper wrote:
Mike O. wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Keith- Hide quoted text -

On the subject of aluminum bats. I am sure that if there was money to
be made, one of the manufactures of the bats could design and make a
bat that would duplicate the characteristics of wood bats.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"p4o2" wrote

On the subject of aluminum bats. I am sure that if there was money to
be made, one of the manufactures of the bats could design and make a
bat that would duplicate the characteristics of wood bats.
******************

It would be too hard to veneer the aluminum bats. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 10, 11:32*am, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
"p4o2" wrote

On the subject of aluminum bats. I am sure that if there was money to
be made, one of the manufactures of the bats could design and make a
bat that would duplicate the characteristics of wood bats.
******************

It would be too hard to veneer the aluminum bats. *G

There is a measurement in the making of golf heads (COR) that could be
applied to Al and wood bats. The choice of an Al alloy, wall
thickness, etc. that would match the measured COR of wood bats would
be possible. I would also guess that different wood bats would have
different COR's?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , krw wrote:
It's a weight issue. It's tough ot make AL dense enough. Stainless
would work I suppose. ;-)

Aluminum is already denser than any wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , krw
wrote:
It's a weight issue. It's tough ot make AL dense enough. Stainless
would work I suppose. ;-)

Aluminum is already denser than any wood.

I'm not arguing, but is that true?

What I've found so far is that the density of Al is 0.098lb/in^3 (approx
1.56 oz/in^3 and that white ash is 41 lbs/ft^3, which should work out to
about 0.379 oz/in^3, unless my math is completely f'd. I got some of the
info from here; http://woodsgood.ca/woodDensity.htm
and some from he
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ty_of_aluminum

I am fully prepared to acknowledge I may have really messed up on the math
but....