Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Baseball bats

Puckdropper wrote:
Mike O. wrote in
:

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:45:47 -0700 (PDT), p4o2
wrote:

So many people (players, umpires, fans) get hit with parts of
broken
bats that it seems like a simple solution exists.

The simple solution is already used by little leagues and colleges.
Aluminum. I've seen them dented but I've never seen one break.

Besides if they get all of the steroids and HGH out of baseball
(not
likely), MLB is going to need to find a way to get all the scrawny
180 pound ball players to hit the ball out of the park.

That loud PING is not quite the same though.

Mike O.

The problem with Al is that of line drives. Since more energy is
transfered, a line drive may well break bones or kill someone.
That's
one reason why they're not allowed in MLB.

So a twenty percent difference in energy is going to make the
difference between no injury and broken bones or death? Might
interest you to know that in the past ten years 2/3 of the people who
have died from being struck by a batted ball were struck by balls hit
from a _wooden_ bat.

NCAA changed the rules a long time ago to limit the ball speed coming
out of an aluminum bat.

This whole aluminum bat controversy is something that grandstanding
politicians use to appear to be Doing Something and has no real
relation to safety. Of course there's a "ban aluminum bats" movement,
but take _anything_ and there's some bunch of loons who think it
should be banned.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)