Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Star Nine (AKA: *9) Is Retired

Modern technology is grand.

Got my first telephone headset with built-in
speed dial in 1986.

First number programmed in was for my Mom.

Twenty years ago, when I moved from Ohio to
SoCal, took that phone with me with Mom's
number still programmed in it.

For those 20 years, once a week would punch
in "*9", the phone would ring, and then the
"Hello" from my mother's voice could be heard.

She would always comment that I sounded like
I was just outside her window rather than the
2,500+ miles it actually was.

If I failed to call on time, could expect to find a
voice mail from Mom when I got home, just
"checking in" to see if I was "All-Right" since
she hadn't heard from me.

She had a serious accident in 01/2007 and had to
move to a nursing home, a move she reluctantly
accepted.

Her phone went with her, including the same
number she has had for more than 40+ years.

Our weekly telephone visits continued, but with
increasing difficulty as her hearing diminished.

On 04/21/2008, Mom turned 103. and it's as if
she had summoned the energy to strike one last
hash mark on the wall and then said, "I'm done".

I was fortunate enough to get back to Ohio to
be with her this past week end when cashed in
her hand and peacefully retired "*9".

You had a good run Ma, you left it all on that
playing field we call "Life".

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Star Nine (AKA: *9) Is Retired

"Upscale" wrote:

Condolences. It would be nice if we all could have a run that long.

Probably being a red head of German heritage, like she was, wouldn't
be a bad place to startG

BTW, thank you.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about your mom, but you're right, 103 was a hell of a
run.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Modern technology is grand.

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

Lew

I'm sure most of us hope to make it even close to 103 and go peacefully. My
respects to the family. Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Modern technology is grand.

She had a serious accident in 01/2007 and had to
move to a nursing home, a move she reluctantly
accepted.

Her phone went with her, including the same
number she has had for more than 40+ years.

Our weekly telephone visits continued, but with
increasing difficulty as her hearing diminished.

On 04/21/2008, Mom turned 103. and it's as if
she had summoned the energy to strike one last
hash mark on the wall and then said, "I'm done".

I was fortunate enough to get back to Ohio to
be with her this past week end when cashed in
her hand and peacefully retired "*9".

You had a good run Ma, you left it all on that
playing field we call "Life".

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

Lew

Thanks for sharing Lew.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

First number programmed in was for my Mom.

You had a good run Ma, you left it all on that
playing field we call "Life".

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

Lew

Condolences, Lew. Very nice story; glad you got to live it for a long time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 3, 7:44*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
[...]

I sometimes hear it said: "I know how you feel."

Well, I don't. I know my parents are 87. I'm not ready to say good
bye. I doubt I ever will be.
Another 16 years for mine?
I'll take it.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Lew.

Rob
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Modern technology is grand.

Grander than you realize! After listening to you mention your Mom for the
past six or seven years, the simple truth is that, thanks to technology, she
touched more lives than even she possibly knew ... now we'll all miss her!

Our family's condolences to you and yours, Lew.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 3, 10:51 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

Modern technology is grand.

Grander than you realize! After listening to you mention your Mom for the
past six or seven years, the simple truth is that, thanks to technology, she
touched more lives than even she possibly knew ... now we'll all miss her!

Our family's condolences to you and yours, Lew.

Well said, and how true.

A bond between a mother an son can be a very, very special thing. I
am sure yours is not broken.

I will be glad to remember you and yours in my nightly consultation
with the Big Guy.

My condolences, Lew.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Modern technology is grand.
playing field we call "Life".

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

Lew

Death is a part of life. Saying that does not make coping any easier.
My mom made it to 98; she would have been 100 June 30. I would have
cherished that extra 5 years, but it was not to be.

My condolences Lew.

mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

sincere condolence Lew
The fond memories last forever. I lost mother
(muz) a few years ago at age 82. She to was sent to a home, but it was a
bad place, all they did was drug the crap outta her til she did not know
if she was on foot or horseback. I could not stand to see her go that
way so I did a quick remodel in our home (bedroom bath accessible) and
she lasted another 3 1/3 mo.
she to was 100% German and expressed it in her cooking. I still use her
recepies often and there is not a day go's by without thoughts of her
character. Quote from Muz : from the day you were born til you ride in a
hurse there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:
I sometimes hear it said: "I know how you feel."

Well, I don't. I know my parents are 87. I'm not ready to say good

bye. I doubt I ever will be.
Another 16 years for mine?

I'll take it.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Lew.

Thank you.

Had she made it until 01/2009, she would have outlived my father by an
even 50 years, but such was not to be, she was ready.

Standing at that spot, in that cemetery, in June is a whole lot
different than it was in January.

Just like myself, Mom hated to be cold, wonder if that had anything to
do with it?

This forum and this list in particular provides me with a podium from
which I can and do choose to speak.

To those of you with parents who are in the 75-80+ age bracket, it is
time to have "The Talk".

It is totally different than the one conducted at puberty, this one is
about staying alive.

My mother, a fiery red head in her youth, the youngest of 10 children
born to German immigrants, she was a formidable adversary, if you
chose to cross her.

Negotiating with Mom can best be described as a Challenge.

About 10 years ago, during one of my annual visits back to Ohio, we
had "The Talk".

These talks always started with the "Ma, What if ................."

The answer was always the same.

"When the good lord wants me, I'll be in my bed waiting.", but this
time was different.

Her twin sister had just died at 90, and she seemed to be more
receptive.

I decided to go "All In", as the poker players say.

'Ma, if you want to continue to live alone, you are going to have to
get a Medical Alert, and WEAR it.

The time was right, she agreed and I slept a whole lot better.

Ultimately, that decision saved her life.

When she fell and suffered a compound fracture of her lower right leg,
about 04:00AM, in her house trailer, in January with 10F outside
temps, she pushed her medical alert button worn around her neck,
before she fainted from a loss of blood.

EMS got to her in less than 10 minutes and saved her life.

Picture if you will, you are almost 102, living alone, in Northern
Ohio.

It is January, some nights the temps bottom out around zero.

You fall and suffer a compound fracture of your lower leg, and start
bleeding profusely.

You DON'T have a MEDICAL ALERT to summon help and bleed to death with
out anybody knowing you need help.

Your death will haunt your kids for the rest of their lives, but hey,
nobody invaded my free space.

Think about it people.

Be selfish, this one is so you can get some sleep at night.

It just so happens that your parentsn also get some benefit.

Each of you MUST make the same deal with your aging parents who are
living alone.

During a medical emergency involving the aged, a few minutes can make
all the difference.

Many of your parents may consider a Medical Alert device an intrusion
on their free space.

I have a very straight answer to that idea:

B--U--L--L--S--H--I--T.

Last time I checked, healthy living beats the alternate.

Medical alerts provide the few minutes that just may allow healthy
living to continue.

I release the podium to those who have a different position.

This is a discussion that needs exposure.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ross Hebeisen" wrote:

all they did was drug the crap outta her til she did not know
if she was on foot or horseback.

Definitely not the case here, Mom got excellent care.

she to was 100% German and expressed it in her cooking. I still use
her
recepies often and there is not a day go's by without thoughts of
her
character.

Let's see here, tell me you make your own noodles, do your green beans
in a pot with onion and bacon, and love fried cabbage with bacon.

Oh yea, don't forget the "knockers".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

A bond like that doesn't just go away. She sounded like a true character
and good friend.

My condolences Lew.

You mom and hopefully you have some great genetics!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

She'll live on every day in you.

It sounds like you won the "mom lottery"!

I'm very sorry for you loss.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:uoibk.431$4a3.364
@trnddc04:

Last time I checked, healthy living beats the alternate.

Medical alerts provide the few minutes that just may allow healthy
living to continue.

I release the podium to those who have a different position.

This is a discussion that needs exposure.

Firstly, Lew, my condolences. I have no more parents, and my spouse is
off to across the pond to see her mother, who may be in the last stages
of recognizing her.

Elderly people, especially, but not exclusively those living alone, need
to wear a medical alert device. Moreover, they need to talk to all their
acquaintances and family about what to do in an emergency.

Those things are a "conditio sine qua non" which simply means do it or
else.

We are all on this earth to help each other, so better accept the help.
It is not prying, it is not excessively relying, it is not imposing, it
is just being human (you religious types may use your own lingo).

Another thing to talk about is what to do when something happens, and
when heroic measures should or should not be employed. Medicine is now
able to prolong suffering too long, and the question is when to let go.

To all:
Happy July 4th!

To Lew:
Hang in there buddy!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:44:01 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Modern technology is grand.

Sorry to hear that Lew.

103. What a grand and relevant life and what changes she must have
seen.

Going to see my mother this coming week. She's 84, and I should make
those visits more frequently....If Boerne, TX was just a little
closer....

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
You had a good run Ma, you left it all on that
playing field we call "Life".

Heartfelt condolences, Lew.

Ever is too soon if quality of life remains; unfortunately in my
mother's case the last couple of years weren't...

You did get me into gloomy day, however; wife is (and has been for most
of a month) doing hospice care for her next younger sister. The word
this morning was not good...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote:

Sorry to hear that Lew.

Thank you.

103. What a grand and relevant life and what changes she must have
seen.

Starting with learning to drive a Model T.

Going to see my mother this coming week. She's 84, and I should
make
those visits more frequently....If Boerne, TX was just a little
closer....

I hear you.

Keep the rubber bands wound up tight and your arms in good flapping
condition.

You only get ONE shot.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

Heartfelt condolences, Lew.

Thank you.

You did get me into gloomy day, however; wife is (and has been for
most of a month) doing hospice care for her next younger sister.
The word this morning was not good...

The hospice procedure is in itself good news.

At least she will be kept comfortable.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:44:01 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

My condolences to you for your loss. My congratulations to your mother
for her longevity and her attitude.

I believe you were one of the parties involved in a thread a few
months back about advance directives and such. Seems to me NailGunBob
and Swing were, too. There was lots of good info in that thread, not
all of which I've been able to implement with my mother yet.

However, let me hijack and update. To refresh, my mother lives in a
condo above her sister 250 miles south of us and she'll be 89 in
August. Three weeks ago, she called and said she was in the hospital .
The long and short of the visit was they discovered a tumor in her
aschending colon and she would need surgery.

We went down there and spent nearly two weeks, some in the hospital
some helping after she got hom. Fortunately it was done
laparascopically and 11 days post-op she boarded an airplane with her
sister for their annual trip to Western NY where they spend the summer
with their three other sisters. To say there's fire, spunk, and
determination in that old bird would be an understatement.

I have long given up trying to get her to move closer, but the
importance of advance directives and HIPPA waivers with every medical
transaction was clearly driven home to her. There'll be quite the
conversation when she comes back South in September.

Best wishes, Lew. I hope your kids have *9 programmed, too.

You had a good run Ma, you left it all on that
playing field we call "Life".

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

I"m sure there will be, Lew.

Even though you're going through a hard time, you've told a wonderful
story. It's obvious there was a lot of love in the Hodgett family.

Thank you for sharing that with us. My heart goes out to you. Hugs, man.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote:
[...]

I don't have a different position. I couldn't agree more, Lew.

My mom is 86, and has had the Button for about a year. She was perhaps a
little more receptive to it than yours, but it took 4 of us kids to talk
her into it finally. Once she had it, she appreciated how easy it was to
use, how much service the people at the other end gave, and the peace of
mind it gave her - and us.

Mom is younger than yours when she passed, but has come to the
conclusion herself that she can't make it on her own. The approach that
we took was one of "We'll support you in whatever decision you make, as
long as it's in your best interest."

She knew that meant we weren't going to pressure her into a home if she
didn't really need to be there, but it also meant we weren't going to
give her a pass if we felt she was endangering herself.

This past week, she threw in the towel herself and decided the house and
dog were just too much for her to cope with.

Diff. strokes...

What Lew said is so true. It's now up to us to care for them, as they
did for us. What comes around...

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 18:36:36 -0400, Tanus wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

Lew

I"m sure there will be, Lew.

Even though you're going through a hard time, you've told a wonderful
story. It's obvious there was a lot of love in the Hodgett family.

Thank you for sharing that with us. My heart goes out to you. Hugs, man.

You're not getting my Michelob...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Condolences. Lew. Consider that you had 30 more years with your Mom than I
did with mine. All in all, you were blessed and should rejoice in your
memories.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
You did get me into gloomy day, however; wife is (and has been for
most of a month) doing hospice care for her next younger sister.
The word this morning was not good...

The hospice procedure is in itself good news.

At least she will be kept comfortable.

As can be which wasn't very at the end which, mercifully, came yesterday
afternoon...