Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default O/T: Star Nine (AKA: *9) Is Retired

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Modern technology is grand.

Got my first telephone headset with built-in
speed dial in 1986.

First number programmed in was for my Mom.

Twenty years ago, when I moved from Ohio to
SoCal, took that phone with me with Mom's
number still programmed in it.

For those 20 years, once a week would punch
in "*9", the phone would ring, and then the
"Hello" from my mother's voice could be heard.

She would always comment that I sounded like
I was just outside her window rather than the
2,500+ miles it actually was.

If I failed to call on time, could expect to find a
voice mail from Mom when I got home, just
"checking in" to see if I was "All-Right" since
she hadn't heard from me.

She had a serious accident in 01/2007 and had to
move to a nursing home, a move she reluctantly
accepted.

Her phone went with her, including the same
number she has had for more than 40+ years.

Our weekly telephone visits continued, but with
increasing difficulty as her hearing diminished.

On 04/21/2008, Mom turned 103. and it's as if
she had summoned the energy to strike one last
hash mark on the wall and then said, "I'm done".

I was fortunate enough to get back to Ohio to
be with her this past week end when cashed in
her hand and peacefully retired "*9".

You had a good run Ma, you left it all on that
playing field we call "Life".

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

Lew

I"m sure there will be, Lew.

Even though you're going through a hard time, you've told a wonderful
story. It's obvious there was a lot of love in the Hodgett family.

Thank you for sharing that with us. My heart goes out to you. Hugs, man.

Tanus