Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Star Nine (AKA: *9) Is Retired

Modern technology is grand.

Got my first telephone headset with built-in
speed dial in 1986.

First number programmed in was for my Mom.

Twenty years ago, when I moved from Ohio to
SoCal, took that phone with me with Mom's
number still programmed in it.

For those 20 years, once a week would punch
in "*9", the phone would ring, and then the
"Hello" from my mother's voice could be heard.

She would always comment that I sounded like
I was just outside her window rather than the
2,500+ miles it actually was.

If I failed to call on time, could expect to find a
voice mail from Mom when I got home, just
"checking in" to see if I was "All-Right" since
she hadn't heard from me.

She had a serious accident in 01/2007 and had to
move to a nursing home, a move she reluctantly
accepted.

Her phone went with her, including the same
number she has had for more than 40+ years.

Our weekly telephone visits continued, but with
increasing difficulty as her hearing diminished.

On 04/21/2008, Mom turned 103. and it's as if
she had summoned the energy to strike one last
hash mark on the wall and then said, "I'm done".

I was fortunate enough to get back to Ohio to
be with her this past week end when cashed in
her hand and peacefully retired "*9".

You had a good run Ma, you left it all on that
playing field we call "Life".

Somehow, there will be another way to stay in
touch.

Lew