Posted to rec.woodworking

Default NOW ACCEPTING OPINIONS: Finish for Peruvian Walnut countertop

I'm just finishing up construction of a counter and I'm wondering what
finish to use. I've got one strong recommendation for "osmo oil", a
few for just tung oil and one person who says I'm nuts if I don't use
some sort of spar varnish on it.

The client is pretty flexible. She doesn't mind it getting a bit
dinged up over time, doesn't want it to look "plasticy", but also
doesn't want it to fall apart if she lets a few dishes dry on it
overnight. We've used a LOT of tung oil at work, but I'm not
convinced it offers all that much protection. But I do like a
penetrating oil finish. And this guy says Osmo is really, really
good, in his opinion.

Anyone heard of it? Any other opinions? snicker

Thanks.
JP

PS - This Peruvian walnut is some of the nicest stuff I've ever seen.
It's like the cleanest chocolate American walnut you've ever seen.
Awesome. I hope I'm not completely denuding the rainforest for using
it though.... Perhaps I should have gone FSC Certified... sigh
It's so pretty though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote

PS - This Peruvian walnut is some of the nicest stuff I've ever seen.
It's like the cleanest chocolate American walnut you've ever seen.
Awesome. I hope I'm not completely denuding the rainforest for using
it though.... Perhaps I should have gone FSC Certified... sigh
It's so pretty though.

From what I've seen, "osmo oil" is good stuff ... it doesn't look all that
"plasticy" and if it's good for floors (where I've seen it applied), it
should work well on a counter top. IIRC, my SIL told me it's used quite a
bit in kitchens in UK/Europe.

Test it on a piece and see how it goes.

The other alternative may be a gel polyurethane finish. Leon just used a
Lawrence McFadden Co product on some walnut we brought back from a recent
trip to Arkansas and it turned out gorgeous with nothing but the gel
applied.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

I say mineral oil if it's a finish she is going to prepare food on and
doesn't want it sealed with a hard finish.

Tung oil is pretty succeptable to moisture. I have it on a coupe of
antiques, I ALWAYS make sure that they have coasters on them. Unlike a poly
finish that is pretty much waterproof.

Kate

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 4:56*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
[...]

I would start with a danish oil or tung oil , to bring out the color
and wood grain, When that is very dry, I would put a few coats of
polyurethane. This will keep the misture out, being a counter top, you
will need some protection from water.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 18, 1:53*pm, "Myxylplyk" wrote:
General Finishes Oil and polyurathane. (available in gloss and satin)
Flood it on, wipe in/off the excess. *(builds well if you like)

Wonderful stuff

I see that's a Homestead Finishing product. They seem like a really
good operation - I'm going to give them a call on Monday and see what
they have to say. You're talking about the Seal-a-Cell or the Arm-R-
Seal, right? Any preference of the two? Or it looks like maybe you'd
start with the SAC and then finish with the ARS for a bit more
protection.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. If I can find a big enough crowbar
I might get a new camera which will allow me to post a pic or two of
the finished product!

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 May 2008 13:35:37 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote:

On May 18, 1:53*pm, "Myxylplyk" wrote:
General Finishes Oil and polyurathane. (available in gloss and satin)
Flood it on, wipe in/off the excess. *(builds well if you like)

Wonderful stuff

I see that's a Homestead Finishing product. They seem like a really
good operation - I'm going to give them a call on Monday and see what
they have to say. You're talking about the Seal-a-Cell or the Arm-R-
Seal, right? Any preference of the two? Or it looks like maybe you'd
start with the SAC and then finish with the ARS for a bit more
protection.

My local Woodcraft also sells GF products.

Homestead is great, but mail ordering finishes can be a pain.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

My local Woodcraft also sells GF products.

Thanks, Barry - there's a Woodcraft not too far from me.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

One thing you have to make sure of, the finish you use should be food safe.
That's why I recommended mineral oil.
I have a cherry butcher-block on my island and I played hell trying to get
it the right color. I used a water based stain (hate them) then oiled it
with mineral oil daily for two weeks, then weekly for a month.

Unfortunately the color I used is not going to last as it is. I am trying to
decide if I want to strip the color off of it and just oil the top so I can
use it as a whole work surface - or if I want to put a poly finish on it and
keep using my cutting boards. I had really hoped to eliminate the cutting
boards.

The natural color is much lighter than I want it to be so it's a tough
decision.

Kate

Walnut Finish SGM Woodworking 2 August 6th 07 11:58 PM
walnut finish [email protected] Woodworking 3 October 26th 05 04:59 PM
Cherry-Walnut kitchen countertop finish? Jim Brown Woodworking 19 December 7th 04 11:26 PM
Best finish for Walnut? nivek Woodworking 12 September 8th 04 06:38 PM
Walnut finish Neil Cummins Woodworking 5 February 11th 04 12:37 AM