Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default NOW ACCEPTING OPINIONS: Finish for Peruvian Walnut countertop

I'm just finishing up construction of a counter and I'm wondering what
finish to use. I've got one strong recommendation for "osmo oil", a
few for just tung oil and one person who says I'm nuts if I don't use
some sort of spar varnish on it.

The client is pretty flexible. She doesn't mind it getting a bit
dinged up over time, doesn't want it to look "plasticy", but also
doesn't want it to fall apart if she lets a few dishes dry on it
overnight. We've used a LOT of tung oil at work, but I'm not
convinced it offers all that much protection. But I do like a
penetrating oil finish. And this guy says Osmo is really, really
good, in his opinion.

Anyone heard of it? Any other opinions? snicker

Thanks.
JP

PS - This Peruvian walnut is some of the nicest stuff I've ever seen.
It's like the cleanest chocolate American walnut you've ever seen.
Awesome. I hope I'm not completely denuding the rainforest for using
it though.... Perhaps I should have gone FSC Certified... sigh
It's so pretty though.