Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default NOW ACCEPTING OPINIONS: Finish for Peruvian Walnut countertop

"Jay Pique" wrote

PS - This Peruvian walnut is some of the nicest stuff I've ever seen.
It's like the cleanest chocolate American walnut you've ever seen.
Awesome. I hope I'm not completely denuding the rainforest for using
it though.... Perhaps I should have gone FSC Certified... sigh
It's so pretty though.

From what I've seen, "osmo oil" is good stuff ... it doesn't look all that
"plasticy" and if it's good for floors (where I've seen it applied), it
should work well on a counter top. IIRC, my SIL told me it's used quite a
bit in kitchens in UK/Europe.

Test it on a piece and see how it goes.

The other alternative may be a gel polyurethane finish. Leon just used a
Lawrence McFadden Co product on some walnut we brought back from a recent
trip to Arkansas and it turned out gorgeous with nothing but the gel
applied.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net