Default walnut finish

I am about to apply finish on a walnut dresser I made. I have used
Shelac before and the result wasgood. This time I would like to try
something new, just to get myself familiar with different finishing
products and techniques. I went to Lowes yesterday and saw DEFT
brushing Lacquer. My question is if it is a good choice for walnut and
if it is wasy to apply. Thanks.

NorthIdahoWWer

I just used the Deft "brushing lacquer" through my spray gun (yes, I know it
says not to spray it) on an oak entertainment center with really good
results. True, it's probably not as hard as regular lacquer and definitely
not as hard as urethane but it dries fairly quickly and 3 coats with light
sanding between the 1st two coats is usually sufficient. I've also sprayed
Varathane water-based floor urethane with good results (another product that
says not to spray it... is there a conspiracy here?). Another lacquer I've
used is Rudd, bought here in the Pacific Northwest at Columbia Paint.
Overall, I like it but on larger projects, I've had trouble with hazing from
the overspray as the lacquer dries real fast. The paint store sold me some
retarder at $28 a gallon to slow down the drying but I have the same
results, if not better, with a $10 can of thinner. The thinner seems to
help it flow and prevent the hazing.

I've used both Watco Oil and Deft in the spray can on walnut jewelry boxes
(not both on the same jewelry box) and liked the results on both but I
prefer the Deft so using the kind in the gallon can would most likely be
good. You might get a small can of Minwax Polycrylic and experiment on a
small piece of walnut as well. I haven't tried that yet myself but I talked
to another woodworker recently that really likes it. There are plenty of
products out there to experiment with, with everyone having their favorite.
I like Deft and the waterbased urethane. You might like something else.
One of the fun things about woodwerkin is experimenting with different
finishes. Just depends on the wood and the desired result. Just practice
on scrap pieces of the same wood as the project until you get the result you
like. Good luck and have fun.

Will

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to apply finish on a walnut dresser I made. I have used
Shelac before and the result wasgood. This time I would like to try
something new, just to get myself familiar with different finishing
products and techniques. I went to Lowes yesterday and saw DEFT
brushing Lacquer. My question is if it is a good choice for walnut and
if it is wasy to apply. Thanks.

RonB

Might also consider one of the wipe-on poly's. I was an avid oiler (Watco
and various tung oils) and still use them occasionally. However, I started
using the wiping poly's a couple of years ago with good results. It takes
several coats to work up a good finish but the cycle time between coats is
fairly short (3-4 hours with normal humidity and temp.) If your surface is
stained or sealed you can end up with a very smooth and attractive luster.
Normal between-coat sanding processes apply.

Also, if you do get a minor scratch or ding it is pretty easy to repair.
Just clean off the area with mineral spirits and wipe a very light coat over
the blemish.

RonB

Black Walnut Finish suggestions Never Enough Money Woodworking 1 October 23rd 04 05:38 PM
Best finish for Walnut? nivek Woodworking 12 September 8th 04 06:38 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
Walnut finish Neil Cummins Woodworking 5 February 11th 04 12:37 AM
Plywood vs. hardwood for walnut bookcases Ted Drain Woodworking 20 December 27th 03 08:04 PM