Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A couple of Marks observations

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:59:28 -0700 (PDT), dayvo
wrote:
Like that wood whisperer kid. The
guys at the guild are always making jokes about him and how full of
himself he is. He sure does like to hear himself talk. I haven't
been able to make it more than a couple of minutes through any of his
podcasts. He rambles on a lot and doesn't do much of anything on the
show. I think he should put in a decade or two of working wood before
he declares himself David Marks Jr.

I hear ya'!

At least he seems to have slowed down with dropping David Marks' name.

While WW (I can't remember his name...) does look like he has some
skills, he does smack of a guy who couldn't make much money as a pro,
designing and building things, so we went the media / instructing
route. I think he actually has promise as a demonstrator, but without
the portfolio of a DJM, Lonnie Bird, Frank Klaus, etc...

Did you ever notice how little WW does with hand tools?

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

You know Swing, that was a pretty good video. I was surprised to see
how accessible and easy going Marks was.

I had the opportunity to spend a day (it turned out to be a long day)
woodworking with him. He was as accessible and easy going as anybody could ask.
He also has a wicked sense of humor. But he doesn't pass out compliments like
gumdrops. -- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT FIRST RUN WOODWORKS

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:39:38 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"i82much" wrote

Here in southern Calif "WoodsmithShop" just started airing on PBS
The shows I've seen deal with the basic wwing process

AAMOF, I wish I still had the original versions I recorded from PBS of "Wood
Works" (lost them on a DVR that went south before I had a chance to xfer
them to DVD), as the DIY versions are full of DIY's inane commercial
bull****, including pop up screens over the content on occasion ... damned
American commercial greed.

Was WoodWorks ever on PBS? I thought that was a DIY original. I
remember David mentioning as he was describing the production process
the voiceover work he had to do in post including the extremely
annoying "when we come back..." and "previously on our project..."
segments bracketing the commercials.

I was also surprised at how pressing (and unrealistic) the production
team could be regarding time and the processes to be demonstrated. He
mentioned one segment in which he was to do a glueup which would take
several minutes on a good day, but if pushed, he might be able to do
in 50 seconds. They alloted 7 seconds. He argued, they insisted, he
tried to explain, they insisted, he did it in 50 seconds, anyway, and
let them "fix it in post."

Although it generally looked like he was enjoying the show, there was
apparently a fair amount of behind the scenes frustration. Still, he
was ready to do more when they pulled the plug on production. I don't
remember (if I knew) whether that was a DIY decision or the
productiont company.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote
Was WoodWorks ever on PBS? I thought that was a DIY original.

You're right ... I've always used a DVR to record WoodWorks because I was
usually gone on Saturday nights. I _thought_ I remembered the original shows
without commercial interruption, which could only have happened on PBS.

I'm definitely making a conscious effort to do less thinking as time goes
by, apparently for good reason ...

remember David mentioning as he was describing the production process
the voiceover work he had to do in post including the extremely
annoying "when we come back..." and "previously on our project..."
segments bracketing the commercials.

Currently recording the ones I lost and I certainly don't remember all the
aggravating crap DIY flashes on the screen during the actual "re-run"
content.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 May 2008 07:46:23 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"LRod" wrote
Was WoodWorks ever on PBS? I thought that was a DIY original.

You're right ... I've always used a DVR to record WoodWorks because I was
usually gone on Saturday nights. I _thought_ I remembered the original shows
without commercial interruption, which could only have happened on PBS.

I'm definitely making a conscious effort to do less thinking as time goes
by, apparently for good reason ...

remember David mentioning as he was describing the production process
the voiceover work he had to do in post including the extremely
annoying "when we come back..." and "previously on our project..."
segments bracketing the commercials.

Currently recording the ones I lost and I certainly don't remember all the
aggravating crap DIY flashes on the screen during the actual "re-run"
content.

All of the stations are doing those now. It's the bane of modern TV
watching. Where it really annoys me is when the original programming
has its own chyron with either subtitling or some other descriptive
material,. fairly important to the content, and it gets covered up in
reruns by an invitation to watch next Tuesday's something or other.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 12:24 pm, LRod wrote:

All of the stations are doing those now. It's the bane of modern TV
watching. Where it really annoys me is when the original programming
has its own chyron with either subtitling or some other descriptive
material,. fairly important to the content, and it gets covered up in
reruns by an invitation to watch next Tuesday's something or other.

Man oh man, that's a pet peeve of mine. And something I saw starting
last year was the animated ads featuring all the people in a cast that
walk on the screen (all the way across) and pose while another graphic
swims around on the right finally forming a time and a date for that
show's cast to look at.

And I have no patience for the shows with commercials. If I can't see
it without interrruption, 99% of the time I won't watch it. The shows
aren't good enough to keep my attention. I will literally wander off
during commercial and come back after the show is over. No, I don't
have ADD, the shows just aren't good enough to keep my attention.

It started with the VCR, and auto-skip on commercials. I had been FF
through commercials for years, doing it manually, but the auto-skip
just made it too easy. And if a show doesn't grab me at the opening,
it's gone. I have no idea how anyone sits down to "watch" as show as
it is being broadcast anymore if it has commercials.

I have the finger on FF all the time on recorded shows, too. Much
better use of time, and much less aggravating when viewing TV.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 1:47*pm, "
wrote:

[snip of a pet peeve]

*I have no idea how anyone sits down to "watch" as show as
it is being broadcast anymore if it has commercials.

I have the finger on FF all the time on recorded shows, too. *Much
better use of time, and much less aggravating when viewing TV.

Anything worth watching can be had via bittorrent. No commercials and
the fastest FF you'll ever see.
I have yet to see commercials on torrents.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
BUT ROBERT!

If you don't watch commercials, how do you know when the new "in" thing

has
arrived? ;~)

Your kid(s) ... college age or less?

Well, maybe not yours ... he's too smart to fall for the crap.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 2:28 pm, "Leon" wrote:
BUT ROBERT!

If you don't watch commercials, how do you know when the new "in" thing has
arrived? ;~)

I rarely know when the "in" thing has arrived. I am sometimes the
last one to find out things that are cool. Sadly, it's been that way
for years.

But I have found that there are plenty of people around that will
gladly tell me what to think.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 1:02*am, "
wrote:
On May 5, 2:28 pm, "Leon" wrote:

BUT ROBERT!

If you don't watch commercials, how do you know when *the new "in" thing has
arrived? *;~)

I rarely know when the "in" thing has arrived. *I am sometimes the
last one to find out things that are cool. *Sadly, it's been that way
for years.

I DO know when things have run their course. I'm ripping out all kinds
of Hunter Green countertops... laminate and solid surface.
A few years back, it was 'Coral' aka pink.
Add to that scores of almond fridges and stoves...but they are now
coming back as....linen or bisque. (A bit lighter, but bone-almond
nonetheless.)
Now I have to find the sumbiatch who was wiping white paint all over
oak and then staining it....

And would you look at some of kids putting their hair in
beehives...thank you, you skank Winehouse, you!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

I rarely know when the "in" thing has arrived. I am sometimes the
last one to find out things that are cool. Sadly, it's been that way
for years.

Style

When it comes to style, I have a very straight forward position.

I AM THE STYLE.

If you are not wearing what I wear, get with the program, YOU are out
of style.

Next subject.

And would you look at some of kids putting their hair in
beehives...thank you, you skank Winehouse, you!!

Over the years have watched each generations hair styles as they
attempt to identify themselves.

I smile to myself and remember back when I was about 15 and wore a D/A
that I thought made me look like the cat's ass.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On May 5, 2:28 pm, "Leon" wrote:
BUT ROBERT!

If you don't watch commercials, how do you know when the new "in" thing
has
arrived? ;~)

I rarely know when the "in" thing has arrived. I am sometimes the
last one to find out things that are cool. Sadly, it's been that way
for years.

I agree, clearly you are behind the times. LOL Cool is not cool any more,
it's Phat and Sweet. Or is it Sweet and Phat?

But I have found that there are plenty of people around that will
gladly tell me what to think.

Noooo kidding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

wrote in message
On May 5, 2:28 pm, "Leon" wrote:
BUT ROBERT!

If you don't watch commercials, how do you know when the new "in" thing
has
arrived? ;~)

I rarely know when the "in" thing has arrived. I am sometimes the
last one to find out things that are cool. Sadly, it's been that way
for years.

I agree, clearly you are behind the times. LOL Cool is not cool any
more, it's Phat and Sweet. Or is it Sweet and Phat?

A truly accurate term that I have heard used is SICK.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 9:53*am, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

wrote in message
On May 5, 2:28 pm, "Leon" wrote:
BUT ROBERT!

If you don't watch commercials, how do you know when *the new "in" thing
has
arrived? *;~)

I rarely know when the "in" thing has arrived. *I am sometimes the
last one to find out things that are cool. *Sadly, it's been that way
for years.

I agree, clearly you are behind the times. * LOL *Cool is not cool any
more, it's Phat and Sweet. *Or is it Sweet and Phat?

A truly accurate term that I have heard used is SICK.

I thought it was KEEN.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On May 6, 9:53 am, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

. net...

wrote in message
On May 5, 2:28 pm, "Leon" wrote:
BUT ROBERT!
If you don't watch commercials, how do you know when *the new "in"
thing
has
arrived? *;~)
I rarely know when the "in" thing has arrived. *I am sometimes the
last one to find out things that are cool. *Sadly, it's been that way
for years.
I agree, clearly you are behind the times. * LOL *Cool is not cool any
more, it's Phat and Sweet. *Or is it Sweet and Phat?
A truly accurate term that I have heard used is SICK.

I thought it was KEEN.

Groovy?

Neato?

Okay!! We have a winner!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I agree, clearly you are behind the times. LOL Cool is not cool any
more, it's Phat and Sweet. Or is it Sweet and Phat?
A truly accurate term that I have heard used is SICK.
I thought it was KEEN.
Groovy?

Neato?

Okay!! We have a winner!

You're right! That's just the cat's meow!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodie wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

I agree, clearly you are behind the times. LOL Cool is not
cool any
more, it's Phat and Sweet. Or is it Sweet and Phat?
A truly accurate term that I have heard used is SICK.
I thought it was KEEN.
Groovy?
Neato?

Okay!! We have a winner!

You're right! That's just the cat's meow!

23-skidoo to all of you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 May 2008 22:02:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 5, 2:28 pm, "Leon" wrote:
BUT ROBERT!

If you don't watch commercials, how do you know when the new "in" thing has
arrived? ;~)

I rarely know when the "in" thing has arrived. I am sometimes the
last one to find out things that are cool. Sadly, it's been that way
for years.

I know the feeling!

However, if I find it truly desirable, I save money by buying the
previous "in thing"... Used! G

I can't tell you where the "IN" places are, either, 'cause I always
look out of place there.

My wife throws out my clothes and shoes when I'm not looking!

I buy reconditioned and used tools, bring usable things home from the
dump... I am good about not pack ratting, only getting and keeping
what I truly use. Unused, but usable stuff goes to eBay.

About the only thing I'll spring for new are GOOD tools that I can't
find used, and vehicles, as I drive them to the grave and like them to
have the features and colors I want. If I'm going to live with a
vehicle for 10-15 years, I'm getting what I like.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 May 2008 13:26:52 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

I AM THE STYLE.

If you are not wearing what I wear, get with the program, YOU are out
of style.

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all about confidence! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 3:42 pm, B A R R Y wrote:

However, if I find it truly desirable, I save money by buying the
previous "in thing"... Used! G

I have some really strange looking shirts that I wear from time to
time, courtesy of Good Will. Some days I look like a bowler,
sometimes an old redneck retread, and other times just weird.

I had a guy that worked for me for years as a painter, and I noticed
that he almost never had shirts with a lot of crap on them. He told
me that his wife bought shirts at GW for $3, and he wore them until
they were all gooped and painted, then they went in the trash.

So now, I save all my nice shirts for "estimatin' " days, or days when
I have lunches I have to go to. When I am doing repairs, finishing or
painting, or anything else that will surely get on my clothes I wear
GW shirts. Got some funky ones, to be sure. I remember wearing some
of these styles back in the 70s...

My wife throws out my clothes and shoes when I'm not looking!

Now if I could only convince the SO that air conditioning in the
briefs is not only a natural but expected event from thoughtful wear
and good service. She sees holes; I see provenance. She refers to
them as "gross"; I call them comfortable. Go figure.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 May 2008 14:30:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Now if I could only convince the SO that air conditioning in the
briefs is not only a natural but expected event from thoughtful wear
and good service. She sees holes; I see provenance.

Point out that out underwear has less holes than the "Chain link" cat
suits that we'd like them to wear! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 5:30*pm, "
wrote:

Now if I could only convince the SO that air conditioning in the
briefs is not only a natural but expected event from thoughtful wear
and good service. *She sees holes; I see provenance. *She refers to
them as "gross"; I call them comfortable. *Go figure.

That is a lot more information....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 4:54 pm, B A R R Y wrote:

Point out that out underwear has less holes than the "Chain link" cat
suits that we'd like them to wear! G

Oh hell, yeah!

I don't think I would win any points with that argument, but thanks
for the picture.

And somehow... me in the holy skivvies isn't the same....

ROTFLMAO!!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 8:33 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On May 6, 5:30 pm, "
wrote:

Now if I could only convince the SO that air conditioning in the
briefs is not only a natural but expected event from thoughtful wear
and good service. She sees holes; I see provenance. She refers to
them as "gross"; I call them comfortable. Go figure.

That is a lot more information....

Come on...

I say "respect the pair".

After all, a good set of briefs does a job you'd never ask any man to
do... (right??)

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" laid this on me:

"LRod" wrote
Was WoodWorks ever on PBS? I thought that was a DIY original.

You're right ... I've always used a DVR to record WoodWorks because I
was usually gone on Saturday nights. I _thought_ I remembered the
original shows without commercial interruption, which could only have
happened on PBS.

I'm definitely making a conscious effort to do less thinking as time
goes by, apparently for good reason ...

remember David mentioning as he was describing the production process
the voiceover work he had to do in post including the extremely
annoying "when we come back..." and "previously on our project..."
segments bracketing the commercials.

Currently recording the ones I lost and I certainly don't remember all
the aggravating crap DIY flashes on the screen during the actual
"re-run" content.

Looks like he's found a way to do his show - tattoo and all - on his
terms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QUNTpYq3Ys

Looks like he just added it a couple weeks ago, be neat to see where
he takes it.

Sean
--
"If I had six hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend the first four hours
sharpening the axe".
Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks like he's found a way to do his show - tattoo and all - on his
terms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QUNTpYq3Ys

Looks like he just added it a couple weeks ago, be neat to see where
he takes it.

Well, the first place he needs to take it is someplace where he can obtain a
wireless mic. It's great to see David giving new woodworking
demonstrations/lessons, but it would be better to also be able to hear him.

Lee

Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com