Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod[_2_] LRod[_2_] is offline

Default OT FIRST RUN WOODWORKS

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:39:38 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"i82much" wrote

Here in southern Calif "WoodsmithShop" just started airing on PBS
The shows I've seen deal with the basic wwing process

AAMOF, I wish I still had the original versions I recorded from PBS of "Wood
Works" (lost them on a DVR that went south before I had a chance to xfer
them to DVD), as the DIY versions are full of DIY's inane commercial
bull****, including pop up screens over the content on occasion ... damned
American commercial greed.

Was WoodWorks ever on PBS? I thought that was a DIY original. I
remember David mentioning as he was describing the production process
the voiceover work he had to do in post including the extremely
annoying "when we come back..." and "previously on our project..."
segments bracketing the commercials.

I was also surprised at how pressing (and unrealistic) the production
team could be regarding time and the processes to be demonstrated. He
mentioned one segment in which he was to do a glueup which would take
several minutes on a good day, but if pushed, he might be able to do
in 50 seconds. They alloted 7 seconds. He argued, they insisted, he
tried to explain, they insisted, he did it in 50 seconds, anyway, and
let them "fix it in post."

Although it generally looked like he was enjoying the show, there was
apparently a fair amount of behind the scenes frustration. Still, he
was ready to do more when they pulled the plug on production. I don't
remember (if I knew) whether that was a DIY decision or the
productiont company.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.