Mike in Idaho

Default Question for G0555 owners

Hi,

I just received my Grizzly 14" bandsaw and got it all put togther and setup
(very nice, I really like it). But the motor apparently is bad and after an
hour with customer support they're sending me a new motor.

I have a couple of questions to current owners:

1) The website says TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor. My tablesaw
is a 2HP TEFC and it is completely enclosed, whereas my bandsaw (1HP) is
open at the end closest to the BS frame (opposite where the fan cover is).
I can see the wires inside (the stator I think it's called). Anyway, that
doesn't seem very enclosed to me, all kinds of crap could easily get in
there. So, the question (finally is what does your motor look like?

2) The motor is just free "floating" on the outside of the bandsaw. That
seems really bizarre to me. You'd think it could spin pretty easily and
smack the capacitor around quite a bit. Not what I would think as a robust
solution, but maybe it doesn't move when your motor works (I won't know for
another week). My question: is everyone's motor free floating like that or
do some of you (all of you) have a mount or something that attaches it
either to the side of the bandsaw or to the stand.

Thanks, I can't wait to use this baby!!

Mike

Gerald Ross

I have an older model 14". The motor is a true TEFC. The original motor
died the first day. It is mounted on 2 or 3 bolts that extend into the
lower wheel housing, slotted so that it can be moved then the nuts
tightened down to maintain belt tension.

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Vic Baron

Hi Mike -

I have had my G0555 since January 2003 and I LOVE it!.

My motor is completely enclosed. There are slots in the fan end cover but
the end closest to the saw has a cap on it. I can see several bolts
connecting it to the motor housing but nothing else. Looking from inside the
lower wheel housing - still completely enclosed. It's bolted into the lower
wheel casting with two bolts but nothing else.

If you can see wires in your motor - something is NOT right.

HTH,

Vic

"Mike in Idaho" wrote in message
[...]

Mike in Idaho

Thanks Gerald.

One last question -- once the motor is mounted to the lower housing
with the 2 bolts (mine is 2) does the motor itself turn at all? The
motor that came with my saw would turn freely -- that just didn't make
any sense?! I'm beginning to think that I just got the wrong motor.

Mike

Gerald Ross wrote in message ...
I have an older model 14". The motor is a true TEFC. The original motor
died the first day. It is mounted on 2 or 3 bolts that extend into the
lower wheel housing, slotted so that it can be moved then the nuts
tightened down to maintain belt tension.

Mike in Idaho

Thanks Vic (and Scott). This was exactly as I expected. I totally
got the wrong motor. It's completely open on the bottom (I can see
the copper wire wrapped stator from the end closest to the saw
housing). Also it rotates freely with a flick of my finger (until it
smacks the capacitor cover on the base -- yeah, I didn't think it was
supposed to do that). Huh. I told the customer service rep about
that (in my 1 hour phone conversation with him to convince him to send
me a new one), and he didn't seem to think that was a problem -- "No
it won't turn once the motor is in motion". Uh, ever heard of
physics? Equal and opposite reaction and all? Yeah, well, at least a
new one is on the way, I'm glad the one I had was broken to begin with
-- or maybe, because it wasn't completely closed/locked to the housing
it would never have worked anyway. Hope my new one is a real TEFC

Thanks everyone,
Mike

ACID QUESTION my_2¢ Metalworking 9 November 10th 03 04:22 PM
OT - Norstar 3x8 phone system question Ryan Metalworking 10 November 8th 03 10:10 AM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pushfit plumbing question Lee Blaver UK diy 18 October 23rd 03 07:58 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM