V.E. Dorn

Default Pretty ticked off with Delta right now

Had been planning to buy a Griz G1023SL cabinet saw because I've been very
happy with all my other Griz purchases. I went to the local Tool Depot when
they had their tool fair a couple of weeks ago and saw that Delta was there
with their new cabinet saw the 36-730. It looked pretty good, was still 3
hp, had a 52 in Biez clone fence and they had a pretty sharp pencil. I
asked about the dado width and they rep looked it up in the catalog and said
15/16. I bought the saw because it was only $200 more than the Griz and had
the 52" rip capacity. I saw on their web site that the dado width was 5/8".
I called the factory to verify and they said it was a typo and that it was
15/16". I see the web site has been changed.

Took delivery yesterday and was a little stunned to learn that you have to
buy and "accesory" arbor to use a dado stack at all. While I may very well
like the saw (not put together yet), I don't have a good taste already
because I belive I've been deceived by their not mentioning this when I
asked. I should have looked at the arbor length when I first viewed the saw
but the insert has a screw to prevent taking it out - and I would have never
dreamed that it would be different than any other saw they make. Are
Unisaws this way? Thanks for letting me vent.

Don

Leon

"V.E. Dorn" wrote in message

Took delivery yesterday and was a little stunned to learn that you have to
buy and "accesory" arbor to use a dado stack at all. While I may very

well
like the saw (not put together yet), I don't have a good taste already
because I belive I've been deceived by their not mentioning this when I
asked. I should have looked at the arbor length when I first viewed the

saw
but the insert has a screw to prevent taking it out - and I would have

never
dreamed that it would be different than any other saw they make. Are
Unisaws this way? Thanks for letting me vent.

You may find several similarities but you do not have a Unisaw so there will
be differences.

V.E. Dorn

I'm the first to recognize that. This saw is made is a 3hp cabinet saw but
made in Taiwan as the primary difference, another is a chamhered edge
across the wings as well as the front of the table. The switch is in a
different place (supposedly to allow for shutting it off with the knee), a
hinged motor cover allowing pretty easy access to the inside of the cabinet
but it doesn't have the "pizaz" that the Unisaws do. According to the rep,
this saw was made to compete for the market of those who can't or won't
spend the money on a Unisaw but they don't want to lose the market share to
Jet or Grizzly. My only beef is that there was ample opportunity to tell me
about the dado width issue since I had asked specifically about it. It's
really not the inconvenience as much as it's the principal of the matter.
That said, once together, I think I'll like it.

Don

Leon wrote in message
m...

"V.E. Dorn" wrote in message

Took delivery yesterday and was a little stunned to learn that you have

buy and "accesory" arbor to use a dado stack at all. While I may very

well
like the saw (not put together yet), I don't have a good taste already
because I belive I've been deceived by their not mentioning this when I
asked. I should have looked at the arbor length when I first viewed the

saw
but the insert has a screw to prevent taking it out - and I would have

never
dreamed that it would be different than any other saw they make. Are
Unisaws this way? Thanks for letting me vent.

You may find several similarities but you do not have a Unisaw so there

will
be differences.

Bay Area Dave

I left out "knee" after "and my".

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I have a Unisaw and my easily (sometimes TOO easily) shuts off the saw.

V.E. Dorn

I picked up on that, it's located at the right knee area directly behind the
front of the saw. It is necessary to raise the leg slightly, but not much.
Never really thought of accidently shutting it off - have to watch that.

Here is the link to view it.

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4835

Don

Bay Area Dave wrote in message
. com...
I left out "knee" after "and my".

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I have a Unisaw and my easily (sometimes TOO easily) shuts off the saw.

Bay Area Dave

I looked at the pic. Is it on the right because it is a right tilt? My
switch is on the left AND it's a left tilt. I have never looked into
the tilt determining switch position. Like you said, it may be due to
the model as opposed to tilt direction.

Most of the time when I bend forward to grab the piece just cut, my left
thigh switches off the motor. It's like an "auto off". g

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I have a Unisaw and my easily (sometimes TOO easily) shuts off the saw.

Tom Kohlman

Delta contractor/Unisaws used to come with an arbor that would handle at
least 13/16ths. This must be a new gimmick on their part. You think you
are venting now, wait until you see what Delta charges for
accessories/parts! You'd need to mortgage your house to build a machine
from the parts catelog.

"V.E. Dorn" wrote in message
[...]

V.E. Dorn

It's been a couple days of researching but this is what I found. The base
unit of the Delta Cabinet saw (Taiwan model) is a 36-729. Depending upon
what you want for a fence, the model number changes. The 36-729 is the only
saw that Delta makes that requires a seperate (longer) arbor in order to use
a dado stack. You need another one yet if you want to use a molding head
cutter. You can't even just leave the longer one on because it will catch
on the table when you bevel the blade anything past 30 degrees. They
offered to get me the arbor but Delta says they don't exist yet and if they
do, they are either in China, Taiwan or possibly on a boat somewhere in
between.

Therefore, they are coming to pick my saw up and when they do, they will see
that I have a Grizzly jointer, bandsaw, drill press and air compressor.
What they won't see is the Griz cabinet saw that is going to replace the one
they are taking. I still like Delta, but they flubbed on this saw in my
opinion.

djd

et...

"V.E. Dorn" wrote in message
[...]

Unisaw A100

Tom Kohlman wrote:
Delta contractor/Unisaws used to come with an arbor that would handle at
least 13/16ths. This must be a new gimmick on their part.

They still do. The saw the man is talking about isn't a
Unisaw.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4835

UA100
Rob Stokes

Good for you....

Good luck
Rob

--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com