Nick Bozovich

Default Craftsman TS & Delta 34-183 Tenoning Jig

Will they work together?

I'm new to woodworking - I have a Craftsman 315-228390 TS (have to learn to
walk before you can run, plus it was gift from SWMBO!). I'm getting ready
to do some mortise & tenon joints on a project, and decided I needed a
tenoning jig to do them.

Checked out the Jet, Delta, and a couple of others. For what I could spend,
the Delta 34-183 seemed right. The guide bars on the Delta seemed to match
the guide slots in the TS. Delta had good reviews, etc...

Been searching for a good price on the Delta Jig. WW wanted $109, Woodcraft
about the same. The Borg had one for $85. I was in CT today, and went into
a tool store and they had one on close-out for $79!!! Scarfed it up &
brought it home on the plane (THAT was a trip!).

I just unpacked it and set it up - and discovered that the way the guide
slots on the TS are positioned - the one with the wide space between it and
the blade is to the left of the blade. The slot with the narrow space
between it and the blade is to the right. Also the wide side of the throat
plate is to the right. If you look at the Delta instructions, it looks as
if the TS should be set up opposite???

Is the TS assembled wrong? I looked at the directions again, and it appears
correct. Can I still do tenon cuts? You can't get the face of the jig
right up against the blade - there's about 3/4" space even when the jig is
pushed right to the stops. The directions recommend using a backer board
when doing cuts - that may help.

Hope I didn't waste $80.......Any help would be appreciated -

Nick