Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Self Closing Drawer Slides Question

I am going to be constructing a set of bottoms & Tops Kitchen Cabinets
for my daughter. She said she seen the "self closing drawer slides"
that you don't have to push in at all. Are these the accuride ones or
is it something completely different?
Posted to rec.woodworking

bdeditch wrote:

I am going to be constructing a set of bottoms & Tops Kitchen Cabinets
for my daughter. She said she seen the "self closing drawer slides"
that you don't have to push in at all. Are these the accuride ones or
is it something completely different?

The ones that I just installed, were the first that I had seen.
I can't remember what brand, but most of the stuff I get from my
supplier is Knape and Vogt. So they are probably the same. I
don't have any here or I would look. They are expensive. I
think I had to pay 16.00 a pair.

They are only self closing after they have been pushed almost all
the way closed, then they take over and close themselves, kind of
like a self closing trunk on a car.

I looked at the mechanism and couldn't really grasp how it
worked, but I hope like hell that they don't start failing so
that I have to replace them. I can't see repairing them, but I
haven't taken one apart to really try to figure them out.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"bdeditch" wrote:
She said she seen the "self closing drawer slides"
that you don't have to push in at all. Are these the accuride ones or
is it something completely different?

Why not go to accuride.com and ask directly?

They won't sell direct, but will answer your questions.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 1:16 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"bdeditch" wrote:
She said she seen the "self closing drawer slides"
that you don't have to push in at all. Are these the accuride ones or
is it something completely different?

Why not go to accuride.com and ask directly?

They won't sell direct, but will answer your questions.

Lew

I have had real good luck with anything that Lee Valley sells, and
they have a series of self-closing slides in all sorts of lengths. I
have used them in only one project, which I finished over X-Mas, but
they look that will hold out for a while (very well built). The non-
self-closing ones that I have had for more than five years (kitchen
drawers opened and closed twenty times a day, minimum) still work like
new. Yes, Lee Valley as well.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43614,43616

Pierre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:58:08 -0800 (PST), bdeditch
wrote:

I am going to be constructing a set of bottoms & Tops Kitchen Cabinets
for my daughter. She said she seen the "self closing drawer slides"
that you don't have to push in at all. Are these the accuride ones or
is it something completely different?

The ones Norm is installing in the current Kitchen Cabinet series on
The New Yankee Workshop are made by Blum. Their description of the
action is called BluMotion.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 11:58*pm, bdeditch wrote:
I am going to be constructing a set of bottoms & Tops Kitchen Cabinets
for my daughter. She said she seen the "self closing drawer slides"
that you don't have to push in at all. Are these the accuride ones or
is it something completely different?

IIRC almost any garden variety drawer slide can be adjusted to close
by itself taking advantage of gravity. You do not need the expensive
models.
The instructions for adjusting the slides are usually included in the
package. There are some indicator notches stamped into the end of the
slide and you have to incline the slide slightly to get them to return
to the cabinet by themselves. You mount them using the slotted screw
holes to allow for this adjustmennt.
Lastly, a drawer which returns to the cabinet may be a pain rather
than a time saver. Most installers never use the inclined method
because you usually have to open the drawer repeatadly.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hettich (cshardware.com) makes 'em as does accuride (as mentioned
already). Blum as well?

Personally, I used the Hettich in my kitchen project and they're nice,
but I will have to compare them to the Accuride ones. The Hettich
have a problem where the slide will come free of the little plastic
'thingie' on the rail part that is attached to the piston 'thingie'
that is key to the "self closing" feature. Seems kinda chintzy. Like
I said, I'd have to compare the price and quality differential to see
if next time I'd change to another brand, 'cause, otherwise, they do a
fine job.

Renata

wrote:

I am going to be constructing a set of bottoms & Tops Kitchen Cabinets
for my daughter. She said she seen the "self closing drawer slides"
that you don't have to push in at all. Are these the accuride ones or
is it something completely different?

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod said it best. BluMotion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 9:22 am, Mike in Arkansas wrote:
LRod said it best. BluMotion.

Pretty sure that is what IKEA uses on their cabinets as well. Vast
improvement over what we've been doing for ages. It's surprising how
much it quiets down a kitchen. I'd never realized how much noise the
rattling contents make when shutting a drawer. The soft close slides
eliminate that, and they can't slam - even if you're mad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bdeditch" wrote in message
I am going to be constructing a set of bottoms & Tops Kitchen Cabinets
for my daughter. She said she seen the "self closing drawer slides"
that you don't have to push in at all. Are these the accuride ones or
is it something completely different?

Most any brand slide offers a self closing version. Typically many however
only self close after the drawer has been pushed close to closed. Many of
the better totally hidden brands and versions also have a soft close feature
that pulls the drawer closed but buffers the impact in the last inch or two
of travel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:17:43 -0800 (PST), GROVER
wrote:

[...]

Not the same thing as these self closing slides. They're mounted
level, the drawers stay open. There's a mechanism that "grabs" the
drawer on the last bit of it's travel and soft/self closes it. Some
advertise that no matter how hard you slam the drawer closed, it will
not slam shut.

Renata

Drawer Slides Jim Brown Woodworking 4 November 15th 07 12:33 AM
Drawer slides Anon Ymous Woodworking 1 February 21st 07 12:55 AM
drawer slides (4 kitchen) question Renata Woodworking 10 November 20th 06 04:25 PM
drawer slides Tom Friar Woodworking 7 April 9th 06 10:07 AM
Drawer Slides bole2cant Woodworking 11 February 28th 04 08:01 PM