Posted to rec.woodworking

Default drawer slides (4 kitchen) question

For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

I mean, the cheap one even has a greater load capacity!

Obviously, the expensive one looks more robust, and I'm a great
believer in you get what you pay for, but really, is it worth the
difference? Is full extension worth $35?

They're (gonna be) nice, custom cabinets, and deserve good hardware,
but a $35 difference!?!?

Is this a misprint on the price or something?

Please enlighten me.

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

I can't find links to the above using Google - do you have pics/
specs?

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

I mean, the cheap one even has a greater load capacity!

Obviously, the expensive one looks more robust, and I'm a great
believer in you get what you pay for, but really, is it worth the
difference? Is full extension worth $35?

They're (gonna be) nice, custom cabinets, and deserve good hardware,
but a $35 difference!?!?

Is this a misprint on the price or something?

If it is, it's likely to be on the $2 slide - I would expect to be
paying 12 UKP (english pounds) / US$20 for a set of 2 slides

--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata"

wrote in message ...
For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

My favorites are Hittich QuadroV6 under mount, full extension drawer slides.
You have to build the drawer box to dimension, but well worth it for the
price of around $20/pair +/-.

http://www.ovisonline.com/Woodworkin...ides/under.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

I mean, the cheap one even has a greater load capacity!

Obviously, the expensive one looks more robust, and I'm a great
believer in you get what you pay for, but really, is it worth the
difference? Is full extension worth $35?

They're (gonna be) nice, custom cabinets, and deserve good hardware,
but a $35 difference!?!?

Is this a misprint on the price or something?

Please enlighten me.

I wouldn't go with either unless it had some specific feature that I needed.
Rockler has full extension 100-pound-rated 22" Accurides for $18/pair.

Whether full extension is worth the money is a matter of personal preference
and the nature of the piece. If it's something whose nature is that a fully
loaded drawer pulled all the way out could be a tipping hazard then I'd go
with the 3/4 extension. Otherwise full. Trying to find something in the
back of a drawer that you can't get all the way open is a pain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/Hafele-HF-4233...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

http://www.amazon.com/Hafele-HF-4235...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

I mean, the cheap one even has a greater load capacity!

Obviously, the expensive one looks more robust, and I'm a great
believer in you get what you pay for, but really, is it worth the
difference? Is full extension worth $35?

They're (gonna be) nice, custom cabinets, and deserve good hardware,
but a $35 difference!?!?

Is this a misprint on the price or something?

If it is, it's likely to be on the $2 slide - I would expect to be
paying 12 UKP (english pounds) / US$20 for a set of 2 slides

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

snip

I wouldn't go with either unless it had some specific feature that

I needed.
Rockler has full extension 100-pound-rated 22" Accurides for $18/pair.

If you are going to buy in quantity, $10-$12 is about the right price.

Shop around.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

I mean, the cheap one even has a greater load capacity!

The more expensive one is concealed...normally you don't see the slides.

You can get Blum Tandem Plus concealed slides at Lee Valley for $29.
Regular side-mount Accuride full-extension 100lb slides are $15.50.
No-name ones are $12.50.

All depends what you want to pay for.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Check out www.cshardware.com. I use their full extension, self closing ball
bearing slides in a lot of my cabinets, and they are VERY reasonably priced.
I've never had a pair fail in anything I built.

--
Rick Nagy
Johnstown, PA

- Remove nospam to email me
Be sure to check out my website at
http://www.rickscabinetshop.com
"Renata" wrote in message
For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

I mean, the cheap one even has a greater load capacity!

Obviously, the expensive one looks more robust, and I'm a great
believer in you get what you pay for, but really, is it worth the
difference? Is full extension worth $35?

They're (gonna be) nice, custom cabinets, and deserve good hardware,
but a $35 difference!?!?

Is this a misprint on the price or something?

Please enlighten me.

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Renata wrote:
For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

I mean, the cheap one even has a greater load capacity!

The more expensive one is concealed...normally you don't see the slides.

Yes, and they are in totally different class.

The cheap ones will do the job but will trundle and rattle in and out, and
if you push them skew they will grind and jam. they are self closing because
the last bit of travel is downhill.

The expensive ones will swish effortlessly in and out regardless of what
sort of sideways shove you give them, they will close themselves in a
fascinating mysterious way, and will probably last better too. The only
disadvantage will be that there will be some flex in the steel so if you
have really heavy drawers or contents and very little gap or tolerance
around the drawer front you may have trouble.

tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:53:08 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Renata"

wrote in message ...
For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

My favorites are Hittich QuadroV6 under mount, full extension drawer slides.
You have to build the drawer box to dimension, but well worth it for the
price of around $20/pair +/-.

http://www.ovisonline.com/Woodworkin...ides/under.htm

How r u getting $20/pair? I'm seeing $32. Have they raised prices,
am I looking at the wrong product, do you get a discount, or...?

I'm gonna need about 15 pair and $300 I can probably convince myself;
$400 is a bit more iffy.

THanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

Belay my last msg. I found them for $20 at cshardware. Thanx. Looks
like this is the way I'm gonna go.

Renata

wrote in message ...
For example, we have Hafele HF-42337055 for ~$2 and
the HF-42357756 for ~$37.

For use in kitchen drawers, what am I gaining, if anything, from the
more expensive one (full extension, more robust design (seemingly),
and ???)?

My favorites are Hittich QuadroV6 under mount, full extension drawer slides.
You have to build the drawer box to dimension, but well worth it for the
price of around $20/pair +/-.

http://www.ovisonline.com/Woodworkin...ides/under.htm

drawer construction question [email protected] Woodworking 1 January 25th 05 03:27 AM
Drawer Slides bole2cant Woodworking 11 February 28th 04 08:01 PM
Question about building a drawer Melissa Home Repair 5 January 2nd 04 06:38 PM
Oak end table drawer - wooden slides and M&T questions (Long) Bay Area Dave Woodworking 12 December 11th 03 06:47 PM
Oak end table drawer - wooden slides and M&T questions (Long) Repostdue to crazy ISP/net problem Bay Area Dave Woodworking 11 December 5th 03 02:01 AM