bole2cant

Default Drawer Slides

We spent the weekend at the St. George (Utah) Parade of Homes--half a dozen
million dollar homes (out of 25).

I noticed in a couple of them that the drawer slides were not the usual
"self-closers". They actually were hard to pull out for the first few inches
and when closing the last few inches would fight to close. At first I thought,
electric drawer closers? Then I decided they must have strong magnets. What's
the real story of these drawers with an attitude?

--
-Doug in Utah
www.xmission.com/~sherwin/

Upscale

"bole2cant" wrote in message
I noticed in a couple of them that the drawer slides were not the usual
"self-closers". They actually were hard to pull out for the first few

inches
and when closing the last few inches would fight to close. At first I

thought,
electric drawer closers? Then I decided they must have strong magnets.

What's
the real story of these drawers with an attitude?

I agree with Leon, there's probably some construction error. It sounds like
the back part of the drawer casing is less width than the front causing the
sides to be compressed a bit the last few inches.

Bridger

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:52:27 GMT, "Upscale"
wrote:

"bole2cant" wrote in message
I noticed in a couple of them that the drawer slides were not the usual
"self-closers". They actually were hard to pull out for the first few

inches
and when closing the last few inches would fight to close. At first I

thought,
electric drawer closers? Then I decided they must have strong magnets.

What's
the real story of these drawers with an attitude?

I agree with Leon, there's probably some construction error. It sounds like
the back part of the drawer casing is less width than the front causing the
sides to be compressed a bit the last few inches.

nope. that would resist pushing the drawer in the last bit. OP said
the drawer wanted to pull out of his hand while closing the last bit
(at least that's how I read it).

sounds like magnets to me. it wouldn't have to be part of the slide,
though. a couple of rare earth magnets mounted to the back of the
drawer box and the carcase would do it. I have quite a few catalogs of
slides, including some expensive specialty ones. I've never seen
reference to something that agressively self closing, but I have seen
plenty of rare earth magnets for use as catches.

Bridger
Swingman

"bole2cant" wrote in message
We spent the weekend at the St. George (Utah) Parade of Homes--half a

dozen
million dollar homes (out of 25).

I noticed in a couple of them that the drawer slides were not the usual
"self-closers". They actually were hard to pull out for the first few

inches
and when closing the last few inches would fight to close. At first I

thought,
electric drawer closers? Then I decided they must have strong magnets.

What's
the real story of these drawers with an attitude?

Were they all that way in the same cabinet and throughout the house, or just
some of them? May not be the case, but shoddy workmanship is rampant in the
building trades ... the selling price of the house makes absolutely no
difference. AAMOF, I see horror stories daily in new construction in one of
the most expensive neighborhoods in this area.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

L. Wilson

More than likely were Accuride 3832SC or something very similar. Will
pull the drawer closed from about 2 or 3 inches. I just put some of
these in my RV to replace the crap the manufacture puts in. I think
they will stay closed during travel just fine. Take a look at

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...6&filter=35816

bole2cant wrote:
We spent the weekend at the St. George (Utah) Parade of Homes--half a dozen
million dollar homes (out of 25).

I noticed in a couple of them that the drawer slides were not the usual
"self-closers". They actually were hard to pull out for the first few inches
and when closing the last few inches would fight to close. At first I thought,
electric drawer closers? Then I decided they must have strong magnets. What's
the real story of these drawers with an attitude?

--
-Doug in Utah
www.xmission.com/~sherwin/

--
LFW
replyto does not work use:

bole2cant

L. Wilson,

I think you may have the answer, but I couldn't tell from the Accuride picture
what the mechanism is--probably magnets. They are harder to open but do close
nicely.

No, these were not improperly installed. All were the same in two or three
houses (WICs), and closed by themselves (last few inches).
--
-Doug
=====================
"L. Wilson" wrote in message
More than likely were Accuride 3832SC or something very similar. Will
pull the drawer closed from about 2 or 3 inches. I just put some of
these in my RV to replace the crap the manufacture puts in. I think
they will stay closed during travel just fine. Take a look at

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...6&filter=35816

Unisaw A100

Hey Doug,

A rule of thumb. Deduct the thickness of your slides and an
additional 1/16" from your drawer boxes. It's a whole
buncha lot easier to shim the box at the slides than to sand
the inside of the cabinet wider.

UA100
Swingman

"bole2cant" wrote in message

I think you may have the answer, but I couldn't tell from the Accuride

picture
what the mechanism is--probably magnets. They are harder to open but do

close
nicely.

No, these were not improperly installed. All were the same in two or three
houses (WICs), and closed by themselves (last few inches).

In your original post you stated "hard to pull out for the first few inches
and when closing the last few inches would fight to close".

Some of us obviously, and erroneously, took that to mean they were hard to
open ... and you had to "fight to close" them.

Sounds like they were operating per the "self closing" design of many of the
modern drawer slides on the market.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. (it was all Leon's fault)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

Rick

A rule of thumb. Deduct the thickness of your slides and an
additional 1/16" from your drawer boxes.

Is this a standard rule for all drawer building applications?
TIA,
Rick

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,fritter and waste the
hours in an offhand way......"
Unisaw A100

Rick wrote:
Is this a standard rule for all drawer building applications?

It's hard to say how widely it's practiced though here
locally it's fairly standard.

Also, when it comes to systems like Blum Metabox I'd have to
defer to someone using those systems.

UA100