Posted to rec.woodworking
k k is offline

Default dado blade not square

I recently purchased a set of General dado blades. When I cut a 1/4
inch dado the groove isn't exactly square. On the top edges it cuts
points deeper and the middle of the groove is flat. I tried it on 2
different table saws and I still have the same problem. I exchanged
them for another set and the same thing happens. Does anyone have any
advice?
Posted to rec.woodworking

When cutting a 1/4" dadio, are you just using the two outside blades of the
set? (i.e. no chippers). If aso, what you describe is probably normal as the
outside blades likely don't have flat teeth, rather bevelled ones which
produces this effect, the same as if you cut a groove using a single
sawblade, you will often see "batman" like "ears" on both sides of the cut.
It weill probably be less noticeable when you cut wider dados using some of
the chippers too.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 180+ woodworking product reviews online!
======================================

"k" wrote in message
I recently purchased a set of General dado blades. When I cut a 1/4
inch dado the groove isn't exactly square. On the top edges it cuts
points deeper and the middle of the groove is flat. I tried it on 2
different table saws and I still have the same problem. I exchanged
them for another set and the same thing happens. Does anyone have any
advice?

Posted to rec.woodworking

k wrote:
: I recently purchased a set of General dado blades. When I cut a 1/4
: inch dado the groove isn't exactly square. On the top edges it cuts
: points deeper and the middle of the groove is flat. I tried it on 2
: different table saws and I still have the same problem. I exchanged
: them for another set and the same thing happens. Does anyone have any
: advice?

Most dado sets do that. FWW did a review in 2007 which evaluated a lot
of sets, and gave ratings for the flatness of the dado, and the scoring marks left by the
outside blades.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 6, 7:36*pm, k wrote:
I recently purchased a set of General dado blades. *When I cut a 1/4
inch dado the groove isn't exactly square. *On the top edges it cuts
points deeper and the middle of the groove is flat. *I tried it on 2
different table saws and I still have the same problem. *I exchanged
them for another set and the same thing happens. *Does anyone have any
advice?

If you are talkin a stack dado then cutting a slight groove on either
side is intended to reduce tearout.

If you are talking a wobble dado, they only cut flat on one setting,
usually 3/4

In either case a skilled sharpener can adjust either to your needs.

For example I make sure the points of a stack dado read about 8
thousanths of an inch higher than the flats when grinding.

new dado blade Joe Woodworking 4 November 19th 05 12:07 PM
dado blade Joe Woodworking 6 November 8th 05 03:27 AM
Dado Cuts w/o Dado Blade Buck Turgidson Woodworking 22 June 6th 05 04:57 PM
Forrest dado Blade. Scott Willett Woodworking 23 February 15th 05 04:01 PM
Why not use a dado blade? Pete Becker Woodworking 2 July 11th 03 05:26 AM