Gary Dean

Default Price of Batteries

I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Greg O

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Yes it is the same here. I have tossed more than one good cordless tool
because the replacement batteries were almost as much as the tool. I just
tossed a 12volt DeWalt drill, Batteries were about $50 each, a new drill of
simular model can be had for around $125.
I have a great deal now on a cordless drill. The company I work for supplies
one for me for my job. It is in my work truck, which is in my driveway.
Greg

Gfretwell

Yup the same thing here. The only use I have found for these tools, when you
buy a new one for the cost of the battery, is to put a long cord on it with a
cigarette lighter plug. Then you can use it on your boat or in your car. I have
a 9v that I have been using on 12v and waiting for it to blow up. So far so
good.
Morgans

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Yep. I say, go to a RC supplier, like tower hobbies, and buy new cells, cut
your pack apart, and replace them yourself. Cut the case with a cutoff
wheel in a dremmell, and put it back together with J B Weld.
--
Jim in NC

John Keeney

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
[...]

Heck fire, mail me your old DeWalt junk, I'll give it a good home.
Oh, send the old battery too, I'll need the case to rebuilt it.

DJ Delorie

"Morgans" writes:
Yep. I say, go to a RC supplier, like tower hobbies, and buy new
cells, cut your pack apart, and replace them yourself. Cut the case
with a cutoff wheel in a dremmell, and put it back together with J B
Weld.

Or buy a cheap drill - my battery packs have screws and disassemble
easily, and I plan on replacing the cells when they go bad (15 3Ah
NiMH SC's = $45).

However, I did buy a smart charger from www.helihobby.com - a Triton.
I can charge my drill in under 20 minutes :-) It hooks on to a 12v
battery, which is a plus and a minus - at home I have to go to the
garage to charge the battery, but if I'm somewhere else, I don't have
to find a 120v outlet to charge it. It also has cycling and testing
built in, so I'll *know* when the batteries are ready to be replaced.
And the one charger can charge any of my rechargable tools.

Cheapest cells I've found so far are at www.batteryspace.com A 2100
mAh SubC NiCd is only $4, or $20 for a 10 pack.
Charles

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 05:30:50 +0000, Gary Dean
wrote:

I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

You might check with:

http://nicdlady.com/

--

- Charles
-
john moorhead

It might be an urban legend, but I think this came up here before... someone
posted that HF's replacement battery packs can be cannibalized ala dremel,
solder, and hot melt glue to install HF batteries in your old kaput battery
pack.

Their 12v battery pack is 1300Mh and is 8 bucks...

HTH,

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

Phisherman

When my cordless drill's battery went out, I bought a Milwaulkee
corded drill. Much better than any cordless, less expensive, plenty
of power, and will last years of abuse.

wrote:

I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Henry E Schaffer

In article ,
Gary Dean wrote:
I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

I have a Bosch 12V driver/drill, and have already bought one
replacement battery. Now I need another - so, based on prior discussion
in this news.group, I'm going to have http://www.primecell.com/ rebuild
it for $36.50 (2 AH) or $49.50 (2.4 AH). I haven't decided which, but
the newer battery I have now is 1.7 AH.
--
--henry schaffer

Swingman

You won't be sorry ... I've had both my DeWalt 18v's rebuilt by Primecell
for the cost of a single new one. Both batteries came back more powerful
than the original, and keep charges MUCH longer ... the difference is like
night and day.

Highly recommended.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Henry E Schaffer" wrote in message

replacement battery. Now I need another - so, based on prior discussion
in this news.group, I'm going to have http://www.primecell.com/ rebuild
it for $36.50 (2 AH) or $49.50 (2.4 AH).

Ray R

"john moorhead" wrote in message
It might be an urban legend, but I think this came up here before... someone
posted that HF's replacement battery packs can be cannibalized ala dremel,
solder, and hot melt glue to install HF batteries in your old kaput battery
pack.

Their 12v battery pack is 1300Mh and is 8 bucks...

HTH,

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

An even better deal I bought a Homier 12 drill for $9.95.

dicko

The local Ace Hardware store (McHenry, IL) has a 2 pack of Dewalt 18V
DW9096 batteries for $99.99. Thats $50 a battery. Haven't seen them
that cheap, even on ebay. They're 2.4 Ah. Needless to say I snapped
up a pair.

I believe the 14V batteries were 2 for $79.99.

wrote:

I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Upscale

I just had two batteries for my 10 year old Milwaukee cordless rebuilt. Cost
me $60 each (Canadian) but it was far cheaper than buying new ones. Drill
works great. It had been so long since the batteries had held a charge that
I'd all but given up on the drill. Now, it's all I'm using again.

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two

yeshess

I was wondering, seeing that you guy are so knowledgeable, if you can give me
some insights as to where I can find a recharger for my 18v crafstman saw.

TIA
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"yeshess" wrote in message
I was wondering, seeing that you guy are so knowledgeable, if you can give

me
some insights as to where I can find a recharger for my 18v crafstman saw.

TIA

At Sears presumably.

Jon

OT : Electric Drill Batteries The Natural Philosopher UK diy 1 January 9th 04 11:08 PM
OT Replacing the batteries in a cordless drill battery pack aribert Metalworking 7 December 4th 03 12:41 AM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM
Reasonable price for a replacement CH boiler? Hugo Nebula UK diy 18 November 20th 03 08:01 PM