DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Price of Batteries (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/22890-price-batteries.html)

Gary Dean November 1st 03 05:30 AM

Price of Batteries

I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Greg O November 1st 03 06:20 AM

Price of Batteries

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Yes it is the same here. I have tossed more than one good cordless tool
because the replacement batteries were almost as much as the tool. I just
tossed a 12volt DeWalt drill, Batteries were about $50 each, a new drill of
simular model can be had for around $125.
I have a great deal now on a cordless drill. The company I work for supplies
one for me for my job. It is in my work truck, which is in my driveway.
Greg

Gfretwell November 1st 03 06:46 AM

Price of Batteries

Yup the same thing here. The only use I have found for these tools, when you
buy a new one for the cost of the battery, is to put a long cord on it with a
cigarette lighter plug. Then you can use it on your boat or in your car. I have
a 9v that I have been using on 12v and waiting for it to blow up. So far so
good.

Morgans November 1st 03 06:51 AM

Price of Batteries

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Yep. I say, go to a RC supplier, like tower hobbies, and buy new cells, cut
your pack apart, and replace them yourself. Cut the case with a cutoff
wheel in a dremmell, and put it back together with J B Weld.
--
Jim in NC

John Keeney November 1st 03 09:09 AM

Price of Batteries

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Gary Dean" wrote in message
[...]

Heck fire, mail me your old DeWalt junk, I'll give it a good home.
Oh, send the old battery too, I'll need the case to rebuilt it.

DJ Delorie November 1st 03 01:01 PM

Price of Batteries

"Morgans" writes:
Yep. I say, go to a RC supplier, like tower hobbies, and buy new
cells, cut your pack apart, and replace them yourself. Cut the case
with a cutoff wheel in a dremmell, and put it back together with J B
Weld.

Or buy a cheap drill - my battery packs have screws and disassemble
easily, and I plan on replacing the cells when they go bad (15 3Ah
NiMH SC's = $45).

However, I did buy a smart charger from www.helihobby.com - a Triton.
I can charge my drill in under 20 minutes :-) It hooks on to a 12v
battery, which is a plus and a minus - at home I have to go to the
garage to charge the battery, but if I'm somewhere else, I don't have
to find a 120v outlet to charge it. It also has cycling and testing
built in, so I'll *know* when the batteries are ready to be replaced.
And the one charger can charge any of my rechargable tools.

Cheapest cells I've found so far are at www.batteryspace.com A 2100
mAh SubC NiCd is only $4, or $20 for a 10 pack.

Mark & Juanita November 1st 03 04:49 PM

Price of Batteries

In article ,
says...
I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

Yep, I have a 14.4 v Porter Cable, about 4 years old. The batteries
have started to die, one won't hold a charge, the other doesn't last
very long. Best price I can find for a single battery is $54, for two,
that's $128. I could have replaced it with a Porter Cable for $169 (I
wound up "upgrading" to a Milwaukee for a bit more). I decided that the
batteries were not worth it because I had already shaken some plastic
pieces out of the PC a couple of years ago. I think they were
associated with a part that guides the forward/reverse switch.
Although apparently not critical to operation since I have been using
the drill for a couple of years after the part broke, I did not have a
warm fuzzy that the drill would last long enough to justify the battery
purchase.

Charles November 1st 03 05:38 PM

Price of Batteries

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 05:30:50 +0000, Gary Dean
wrote:

I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

Whats going on? - does this occur in USA?

You might check with:

http://nicdlady.com/

--

- Charles
-

john moorhead November 1st 03 05:54 PM

Price of Batteries

It might be an urban legend, but I think this came up here before... someone
posted that HF's replacement battery packs can be cannibalized ala dremel,
solder, and hot melt glue to install HF batteries in your old kaput battery
pack.

Their 12v battery pack is 1300Mh and is 8 bucks...

HTH,

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

Phisherman November 1st 03 09:34 PM

Price of Batteries

When my cordless drill's battery went out, I bought a Milwaulkee
corded drill. Much better than any cordless, less expensive, plenty
of power, and will last years of abuse.

T. November 1st 03 09:57 PM

Price of Batteries

Sat, Nov 1, 2003, 9:34pm (EST+5) (Phisherman) says:
When my cordless drill's battery went out, I bought a Milwaulkee corded
drill. Much better than any cordless, less expensive, plenty of power,
and will last years of abuse.

Both my kids use cordless tools. But, they're both in heating and
air, and often work with no power access, so they need cordless. Me, I
own two cordless, the older kid has one, and the other is in my shop,
used a few times by the younger. I got them for some project the kids
needed them for. Apparently, both work well, but I've never used either
one. I have about 3 or 4 corded drills in the shop, and that's all I
use. The oldest, and most used, is a B&D, bought new in about 1975-76.

JOAT
My aim is to get through life peacefully, with as little interferrnce
from human beings as possible.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 30 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Scott Tuttle November 1st 03 11:32 PM

Price of Batteries

I buy the Harbor Freight 12v cordless drill for $16 for driving screws
around
the shop. I consider it 'disposable'. Get about a years life out of one.
I also have a $30 corded black and decker but the keyless chuck is
terrible, cant hold a drill bit. It has a bit too much power for driving
screws too,
strips them bad.

Henry E Schaffer November 1st 03 11:33 PM

Price of Batteries

In article ,
Gary Dean wrote:
I'll keep this short. I live in UK. I have a cordless Bosch 24v combie
drill. Gets heavy daily use. 3 years old, batteries no longer hold
charge. Searched internet for UK suppliers of replacement batteries. I
need 2. Best price - £120 each - check my maths, that makes £240 for two
new batteries. Searched internet again for new drill. Came up with the
same Bosch drill - latest version - with three, yes three, batteries
thrown in for only £264. So I bought a new drill.

I have a Bosch 12V driver/drill, and have already bought one
replacement battery. Now I need another - so, based on prior discussion
in this news.group, I'm going to have http://www.primecell.com/ rebuild
it for $36.50 (2 AH) or $49.50 (2.4 AH). I haven't decided which, but
the newer battery I have now is 1.7 AH.
--
--henry schaffer

Swingman November 1st 03 11:52 PM

Price of Batteries

You won't be sorry ... I've had both my DeWalt 18v's rebuilt by Primecell
for the cost of a single new one. Both batteries came back more powerful
than the original, and keep charges MUCH longer ... the difference is like
night and day.

Highly recommended.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Ray R November 2nd 03 12:26 AM

Price of Batteries

"john moorhead" wrote in message
It might be an urban legend, but I think this came up here before... someone
posted that HF's replacement battery packs can be cannibalized ala dremel,
solder, and hot melt glue to install HF batteries in your old kaput battery
pack.

Their 12v battery pack is 1300Mh and is 8 bucks...

HTH,

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

An even better deal I bought a Homier 12 drill for $9.95.

dicko November 2nd 03 12:49 AM

Price of Batteries

The local Ace Hardware store (McHenry, IL) has a 2 pack of Dewalt 18V
DW9096 batteries for $99.99. Thats $50 a battery. Haven't seen them
that cheap, even on ebay. They're 2.4 Ah. Needless to say I snapped
up a pair.

I believe the 14V batteries were 2 for $79.99.

Upscale November 2nd 03 09:20 AM

Price of Batteries

I just had two batteries for my 10 year old Milwaukee cordless rebuilt. Cost
me $60 each (Canadian) but it was far cheaper than buying new ones. Drill
works great. It had been so long since the batteries had held a charge that
I'd all but given up on the drill. Now, it's all I'm using again.

yeshess November 2nd 03 03:47 PM

Price of Batteries

I was wondering, seeing that you guy are so knowledgeable, if you can give me
some insights as to where I can find a recharger for my 18v crafstman saw.

TIA

B a r r y B u r k e J r . November 2nd 03 09:36 PM

Price of Batteries

On 02 Nov 2003 15:47:38 GMT, (yeshess) wrote:

I was wondering, seeing that you guy are so knowledgeable, if you can give me
some insights as to where I can find a recharger for my 18v crafstman saw.

TIA

Sears?

Barry

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº November 3rd 03 04:01 AM

Price of Batteries

"yeshess" wrote in message
I was wondering, seeing that you guy are so knowledgeable, if you can give

me
some insights as to where I can find a recharger for my 18v crafstman saw.

TIA

At Sears presumably.

Jon