Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Found A Use For Pill Bottles

I've been accumulating pill bottles over time, and they're a neat
item, too neat to just toss, but couldn't figure out what to use them
for. Too small to use for screws, etc. So just been stashing them.
Then this evening it struck me. Their tops seal, so they'd be
great for mixing up thinned latex for my stain experimenting. .Turns
out that when they're shook hard, with some liquid inside, they do leak
just the least bet, easily wiped off, and just right for mixing small
amounts. Won't have a lot of use for too many of them, but it's a
start. Beats mixing in a small cup or something, and with the cap
should keep for a few days at least.

JOAT
If you can read this you're in range.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 30, 7:40�am, (J T) wrote:
� � �I've been accumulating pill bottles over time, and they're a neat
item, too neat to just toss, but couldn't figure out what to use them
for. �Too small to use for screws, etc. �So just been stashing them. �
� � �Then this evening it struck me. �Their tops seal, so they'd be
great for mixing up thinned latex for my stain experimenting. �.Turns
out that when they're shook hard, with some liquid inside, they do leak
just the least bet, easily wiped off, and just right for mixing small
amounts. �Won't have a lot of use for too many of them, but it's a
start. �Beats mixing in a small cup or something, and with the cap
should keep for a few days at least. �

JOAT
If you can read this you're in range.

I use them to store wood dust. Every time I mill a new species of
wood I collect the shavings/dust and save a small bottle full to mix
with glue and use as filler if/when/as required.

FoggyTown
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
On Dec 30, 7:40�am, (J T) wrote:
[...]

Wife gets some that are tall enough to use, with cardboard dividers, for
scrollsaw blades and Yankee bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

If you take about 1/2 dozon of them and
cut the top 1/2 off, glue the bottoms to a
piece of cardboard, you will have a great
place to put small objects in while you are
working on/repairing things. I used to always
look for a place to put screws when I had to repair
somthing that had alot of little parts. This works great.
Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
I've been accumulating pill bottles over time, and they're a neat
item, too neat to just toss, but couldn't figure out what to use them
for. Too small to use for screws, etc. So just been stashing them.
Then this evening it struck me. Their tops seal, so they'd be
great for mixing up thinned latex for my stain experimenting. .Turns
out that when they're shook hard, with some liquid inside, they do
leak just the least bet, easily wiped off, and just right for mixing
small amounts. Won't have a lot of use for too many of them, but
it's a start. Beats mixing in a small cup or something, and with the
cap should keep for a few days at least.

JOAT
If you can read this you're in range.

Same here; I use quite a few of them. Careful, some paints will soften
the plastics I've discovered the hard wayg. Especially ones with
anything like xylene in them.

-- Small parts storage while working on something with lots of parts
-- Never thought of your use; but will in future.
-- oddball, small items like # 4, 6, 8 & 10 nuts & bolts, staples,
low-quantity stuff I only have a couple of but can never find in a tin
or drawer, things like that. Then I hot glue whatever's in a bottle to
the outside for identification.
-- Mixing stains for testing different colors to use for demo purposes,
-- Collecting steel dust & grits for the high school labs to use
-- To toss a few from the bigger drawer into to take with me to a job.
Most anything that gets lost easily or that fits when I only have a
few of; unique things, mostly.

Printer labels stick great to them, a little heat and the Rx labels peel
right off. I've even sold them for a quarter a piece at a garage sale
once.

Cheers,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 02:58:43 -0800 (PST), FoggyTown wrote:

On Dec 30, 7:40?am, (J T) wrote:
[...]

Me, too..lol
Glad I read your post before repeating what you said..

I used to use the zip lock bags from pen kits, but pill bottles are less awkward
and stack well..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Dec 30, 7:40?am, (J T) wrote:
? ? ?I've been accumulating pill bottles over time, and they're a neat

snip

I use them to store wood dust. Every time I mill a new species of
wood I collect the shavings/dust and save a small bottle full to mix
with glue and use as filler if/when/as required.

FoggyTown

Me, too..lol
Glad I read your post before repeating what you said..

I used to use the zip lock bags from pen kits, but pill bottles are less
awkward
and stack well..

mac

I use the pill bottles and also, I find that the plastic peanut butter jars
a great for storing larger items.

I have 8 Freud forstner bits in one. The don't rust and I can see whets in
the jar.

I can match the proper plug cutter and drill bit for making screw hole plugs
in the large pill bottles. I have a shield on the cutting edges of the drill
bits.

The young bucks in this crowd probably don't know about accumulating pill
bottles though. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've amassed quite a collection of vials that my blood glucose test
strips come in. They're a little smaller than an old-fashioned black
plastic Kodak file canister, but are much more study and air-tight,
with an attached snap-on lid. Black plastic outside, white plastic
inside (I suspect there might be a dessicant in the white plastic).

Haven't tested them yet, re.: resistence to chemicals or solvents. But
the white plastic insides makes little things like screws, nuts, pins,
&tc. highly visible.

I'll test a few solvesnts and re-post.

-Zz

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 02:40:34 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

I've been accumulating pill bottles over time, and they're a neat
item, too neat to just toss, but couldn't figure out what to use them
for. Too small to use for screws, etc. So just been stashing them.
Then this evening it struck me. Their tops seal, so they'd be
great for mixing up thinned latex for my stain experimenting. .Turns
out that when they're shook hard, with some liquid inside, they do leak
just the least bet, easily wiped off, and just right for mixing small
amounts. Won't have a lot of use for too many of them, but it's a
start. Beats mixing in a small cup or something, and with the cap
should keep for a few days at least.

JOAT
If you can read this you're in range.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in

*snip*

The young bucks in this crowd probably don't know about accumulating
pill bottles though. :-)

Well, I guess they're the alternative to the 35MM film canisters. With
all the digital cameras out there, the really young folk aren't even
gonna know what those are!

Puckdropper
marching band.

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , mac davis
wrote:

I used to use the zip lock bags from pen kits, but pill bottles are less
awkward
and stack well..

Mac,

I use the smaller pill bottles to hold all of my pen busing sets; one
set per bottle. I try to use the ones with plain white tops, This way I
can label on top what they are and store them in the drawer by my
lathe.

Joe
aka 10x
Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote:
In article , mac davis
wrote:

I used to use the zip lock bags from pen kits, but pill bottles are
less awkward
and stack well..

Mac,

I use the smaller pill bottles to hold all of my pen busing sets; one
set per bottle. I try to use the ones with plain white tops, This way
I can label on top what they are and store them in the drawer by my
lathe.

Joe
aka 10x

They also hot glue very well, which lets you make connected "sets" of
bottles for similar items. Glue a small bottle, slightly offset from
centered between two larger ones, so the caps don't touch each other. I
turned the small bottles upside down to make "feet" for the assembly,
left the tops on, and a press-on rubber pad to keep it from sliding
around easily.

Pop`

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 30, 3:44*pm, Puckdropper wrote:
"Lowell Holmes" wrote innews:0VRdj.263$v_4.216@trnddc03:

*snip*

The young bucks in this crowd probably don't know about accumulating
pill bottles though. :-)

Well, I guess they're the alternative to the 35MM film canisters. *With
all the digital cameras out there, the really young folk aren't even
gonna know what those are!

Puckdropper
marching band.

You can go to one of the larger camera stores and they usually have
empty ones for the taking - free.
Good iteas.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I use mine to store router bits till a holder for them gets made.

"J T" wrote in message
I've been accumulating pill bottles over time, and they're a neat
item, too neat to just toss, but couldn't figure out what to use them
for. Too small to use for screws, etc. So just been stashing them.
Then this evening it struck me. Their tops seal, so they'd be
great for mixing up thinned latex for my stain experimenting. .Turns
out that when they're shook hard, with some liquid inside, they do leak
just the least bet, easily wiped off, and just right for mixing small
amounts. Won't have a lot of use for too many of them, but it's a
start. Beats mixing in a small cup or something, and with the cap
should keep for a few days at least.

JOAT
If you can read this you're in range.

The pill with regard to the managing household is the impression that roars along. I. O. Udo Home Repair 0 December 10th 07 02:23 AM
Pill Bottles ? Home Repair 11 June 23rd 07 03:50 PM
03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 08:14 PM
Cheap pill & Merry Christmas top sites merryjay Home Repair 0 December 6th 06 04:30 PM
gas bottles Cuprager UK diy 8 August 3rd 06 08:49 AM